ATWT Tribute Thread

• Members

Bob would just shake his head and smile..Nancy would smile and say, "How nice that you are reading the Bible dear," Lucinda would cackle and say, "Darling, she must have see the bible once or twice on the nightstands in all the cheap hotels she has been to over the years!"

I have to say, Fulton does not look that differnt today. Once the studio closes will they let our all of those virgins that the vets have been syphoning the blood off of to stay so young?

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think a lot of the ATWT ladies of that era knew how to style themselves in a way which made them look a certain age for quite a long time, and they balanced their look out with vitality. I didn't quite "get" this until I saw that 1981 episode where Lisa and Kim, both in their 40s, were so much more vibrant and youthful than "young" characters Dee and Annie, who also seemed to be dressed very frumpily. It was very odd, it was almost like some kind of a joke on the "youth" movement, like youth THIS!

• Members

Well to be fair, the actresses werent that interesting or vital to begin with. All I remember of JS Dee is her mouth half open staring into space thinking about "Brad." A triangle of Annie/Brad/Dee was certainly not the thing to set the ratings on fire. You are right, in those clips Lisa and Kim are much more interesting then the Stewart girls. I do remember when Bunim came in she talked about changing the make up and clothes and I remember her comment on how they dressed Dee, "We are getting rid of the Peter Pan collars on her." I dont like a lot of what Bunim did, (emphasis on cartoony stories, still obscuring the Hughes family, not bringing Nancy and Chris back for good) but she did make the production much better, her ATWT from the past ATWT was much brighter, fast paced, etc.

Those mag clips are a hoot. Wonder what the actress did that she was able to afford that kind of big apartment in New York...and marrying Merwin..she must have seen something there didnt she?

Edited by Mitch

• Members

"...who I am because the camera is so tight on me. And it's true that when the script doesn't require me to be loving or sweet, I tend to make Mary like that anyway - my natural instinct, I guess."

It all amounts to the fact that Kelly is playing Kelly on As the World Turns (Irna Phillips long ago set a precedent for the show of hiring actors who were fascinating simply as people), while on Search for Tomorrow, on which Kelly played Lauri Leshinski for three and a half years, Kelly was engaged more in the art of portraying. Lauri was selfish and materialistic, whereas Kelly is not. "But what is strange is that during the time I was playing Lauri I was much more like Lauri. I don't mean that I would have done exactly the things that she did, but like Lauri I was in an unsettled state. I had problems too. I portrayed Lauri more from my feelings than anything else. Originally I had wanted to combined my intelligence with my emotions, but after a while I got all caught up with feelings - and the writers saw that and made Lauri more what I had been showing them. On As the World Turns I work more from the text and the woman that I am given - the writers have already decided who and what Mary is." Of course, the woman that Kelly was given - through the personality that producer Joe Willmore obviously saw in the actress before casting her - was much like Kelly herself!

Patricia Wetzel is a Midwestern-Californian hybrid. The oldest of five children, she was born in Chicago and then moved to San Diego with her family when she was ten. After a year at Dan Diego University she already had her Equity card as a result of appearing in several local professional productions. "I left San Diego State when I was 18 because I figured I would be like all the other girls and wind up getting married as soon as I graduated. I wanted to spend the next couple of years doing what I wanted to do before getting married - and what I wanted to do was get my feet wet in the theater. I didn't know how I'd do, but I soon found out that I was very castable. I did a production of Peter Pan, and Bye Bye Birdie, then I went on the road with Danny Kaye. I went to Hollywood, but I didn't feel comfortable there. Too many directors were trying to tell me what to do and hwo to change myself. That was bad for me because I really didn't know who I was in the first place. So I came to New York. I was completely on my own - I didn't have help from my family. From then on I worked as an actress and I never had to work at anything else."

Kelly has never been married. At first, she says, she made a conscious decision not to wed because of her ambitions as an actress, and from then for a period she began to avoid the walk to the alter unconsciously.

Physically Kelly is beautiful, but more than her looks it is her gentle manner which makes her extremely desirable to men. "Yes, there have always been men in my life. But it's not as if I've had a lot of them around. I'm not an assertive person. In between serious relationships I find it hard to go out and meet people. Some single women are always meeting men at parties of singles' places - but I don't like all that." Kelly had one long relationship with a man that, for her at least, ended quite painfully. "It took me a long time to recover."

She and Merwin Goldsmith met while they were both appearing in The Last of the Red Hot Lovers and later did plays in stock together at Syracuse University. They have been seeing one another for many months and have recently decided to marry, although the date isn't set yet.

It's the modern way, but Kelly and Merwin don't live together. He has his own apartment twenty blocks from her. "I'm not morally against two people living together before marriage," she says. "But I just feel that if a man and a woman are going to set up housekeeping they should go all the way and get married."

Kelly says that a year and a half ago she got quite fed up with "the business" - that is, just being an actress - and decided that she wanted to be a producer with her own dinner theater. "I liked acting, but other people always seemed to be making decisions for me. It's the nature of the business not to be in full control of your own career. So a friend of mine and I spent a year and a half working on a proposal for a dinner theater that we intended to build. Then we tried to raise the money for it on our own. I spent a whole summer calling people, and I turned down work to do it. But that was the summer that the oil crisis hit and no one was building anything. Then I found that I was glad we couldn't build the theater - because I suddenly realized that I didn't want to be a producer; I wanted to act. You know, I had been reaching that age where a lot of men and women start growing restless with their lives and they just want to change everything."

Kelly loves acting and being around actors. "Their point of view about life is wider than most 'straight' peoples.'" But using her body as a physical instrument and exposing her fantasies to audiences is always draining, and she needs to protect herself somewhat. "I protect myself by reading, by privacy, by gardening on my terrace. I remember when I was playing Gypsy in Boston, I felt no need to sightsee. I'd do the show and come home and read. I would feel a great need to replenish what had gone out. I do the same things here in my apartment all the time.

"But there is the part of me that is the show-off. I love dressing up in pretty clothes. I like dealing with myself as a physical instrument - but only in a professional way. My parents told me recently that they had gone on a cruise and dressed up in these wild costumes and paraded around. They showed me pictures that had been taken of them. My first reaction was: 'Oh, no! I couldn't do that!' The show-off part of me has to be controlled in a special professional situation.

It's quite obvious from the great trouble the writers of As the World Turns have gone through to get Mary Ellison from Laramie to Oakdale that Kelly's part will undoubtedly be a long one. But Kelly, oddly, wonders if it will even be a year and a half. "Well, I guess I became insecure after my experience with Search for Tomorrow. I had put a lot of work into my character, Lauri, for three and a half years, and I was used to the steady situation. All of a sudden the writers, Ralph Ellis, just killed me off the show. It took me a long time to get used to the shock. So I'm a little wary now of thinking that any role on a serial will last."

But you can put good odds on Mary's staying in Oakdale, and on Kelly's continuing appeal for viewers.

• Members

An August 1985 ATWT episode. A temp Lyla recast (she's decent, although I always enjoy Anne Sward), dinner with John and Lyla, early Shannon looking very un-Shannon, hints of a potential romance between the kind of weird Cal and still good Barbara (I guess Marland stopped that when he had Barbara go "bad" and killed Cal off), and best of all, the incredibly hot chest of Gregg Marx.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK6PFfPzemg&feature=channel

• Members

Yeah she played Lyla several times apparently, here and in 1990 (I don't remember that) and IMDB says 1986? I think she's very natural, especially in that scene with John where she wants to eat and not talk about their relationship.

This was back when men were still allowed to have body hair. The first clip has him wandering around in a half-shirt. Very very few men can make that look hot, but he manages. :lol:

Do you know if Marland created Shannon or was that the writers before him?

• Members

I believe Marland did create Shannon.

I was so amazed at how much I loved the Dobsons work on ATWT when they wrote for the show. Back then i didnt keep track of who wrote or directed or EP the show until I think in 85. But I loved the writing for the show. Which makes it odd cause I hated ...Santa Barbara...I couldnt stand the soap! It was so badly written....lol

Edited by Ruxton Hills

• Members

Heather Rattray is bitchy/evil Lily...and Andrew Kavovit as Paul followed by credits

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiiVhJa8MC4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiiVhJa8MC4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiiVhJa8MC4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elSoyxZfyI0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elSoyxZfyI0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elSoyxZfyI0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

• Members

That's creepy stuff. I never knew Lily got that dark. I wish they'd kept her down that path, it was believable, moreso than Lily always being the damsel in distress. I really liked Heather as Lily, she had such a strong presence, a striking look, and she was very believable as Lucinda's daughter. I think Noelle Beck was in some ways a throwback to her but not the same. I wonder if Heather is still acting.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Marie Kovac as the epitome of pure evil, taunting Lucinda from the grave. She taunted Marcia in another episode. It's interesting how Marland generally had a lot of decent or complicated people but sometimes would have these figures of pure evil -- it's very old school soap, the good and the bad figures. This clip also has John and Lisa going for the jugular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM3KTBJDIz8&feature=channel

• Members

No, the writers before Marland created Shannon, I think she was supposed to be the third party in a Steve and Betsy triangle.

Hated the Dobsons work on ATWT, it was such a drab rip off of their GL material, plus the obscuration of the Hughes family and the writing off of Nancy and Chris..their second run with Bunim was much more fun. Even with Betsy written as slightly retarded and the fact that I didnt love Steve, that was a good "mess,: with those two together and Craig and Diana schemeing against them.

Greg Marxx hairy chest..sigh, the poor sap who played Tom after him stood no chance before the magnificance of Marxx : )

Edited by Mitch