ATWT Tribute Thread

• Members

I WAS imaging this harlot to be wearing Daisy Dukes, can you imagine that with big, feathered, 70s hair?? A total lost opportunity to incorporate Chris and Nancy with a younger person. The writers are so lame even the much vaulted Dobsons, in that they just SORAS people while ignoring the rest of the family, or put "old," people in a closet to "youthify," a show. A bitchy, trampy, Hughes cousin would have been much more interesting the the insipid, and badly acted Cricket Montgomery, and would have been a nice way to transition Nancy from her grip of steel to a more forgiving, understanding woman she became with Marland.

Well, she wouldnt have had to be cold or controlling (thought I find most of Marland's characters different levels of cold) she would just admit she had been in the past..which would have worked to Marland's theme of "change," and "personal growth," especially bringing it home if Nancy Hughes can admit she was sometimes wrong in the past. I think that his characterization was a different side of the coin from the Dobsons, I think they were so used to writing for forgiving, loving Bert Bauer, that they couldnt understand this colder, more controlling matriach (as they did write for the more laid back Ellen Stewart) while Marland, simply incorporated elements from Bert into Nancy (I love Nancy but Bert will always be my favorite soap matriach.) I think that later writers could have written more like GL did when they brought back Meta, a woman who saw it all and spoke her mind and was not afraid to kick some ass when it was needed.

I don't understand why, with Marland's love of mysteries, that they didnt incorporate Ellen's past as a murderess. They could have had some young man or woman move in with a lonely Ellen after David died, and she could grow attached to them (especially if they went by the name "Dan.") This perosn would be her victims relative and proceed to gaslight her, and everyone would think Ellen was breaking down or even had alzheimers (cue a boring Marland "relevant," speech from a character about Alzheimers.) Marland really could have cared less about Ellen ( I agreed) but to his credit, kept her around.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

And the infamous scene of her producing Shannon to Duncan "Here she is love," and it a shrunken head with a copy of Shannon's matty ass hair on it. That was the one and only time that Shannon was interesting, as a shrunken head! Though hot Duncan had a thing about boring women, his next love was stiff Jessica.

• Members

I think the only time he brought up her past was when she talked to Kim during the Doug Cummings trial about her own past with being on trial for murder.

I wonder if Ellen was kept around because Marland regretted letting P&G force out such wonderful actors at GL under his watch who happened to be too "old", like Barbara Berjer, Milette Alexander, the guy who played Adam Thorpe. I think he could have done a lot more with Ellen, but then sometimes I wonder if it was even a battle just to keep her on the show. I liked Ellen a lot because just her mere presence was a reminder of years of history. This is something the US soaps used to do but gave up on because they thought that was old hat.

It's funny you bring up Meta - she was a great combo of Mary Stuart's warmth and also of the kick-ass quality. In many ways she was emblematic of the two sides of GL, the warmth and the edge. I'm sorry they didn't write more for her because she was fantastic from the start. She especially seemed to come alive when that annoying Claire Ramsey came back to town.

I'd love to have seen Calhoun and Marland's reactions to the Hughes of the 60s. They're much tighter wound and more frosty and repressed, yet they also laid their feelings on the line. I guess Marland must have seen some of this when he wrote for the show in the late 70s but it's a departure from what they were during his ATWT run. I think probably the one who most carried that legacy on was Kim. Even at her most poorly written Kim seemed to still have some of that mystery a soap woman often should have...I think Irna Phillips would have been proud.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

absolutfushia put up some videos from the 1999 St. Jude's telethon. Martha introduces the tape (she really does remind me a lot of Rose), then they have Terri Conn, being, frankly, annoying, going around interviewing ATWT actors and asking questions, then we get a double act of some of the most annoying of the FMB/Broderick era thanks to Annie Parisse and Keith Colouris. I just could not watch them...it was nice to see Camille/Lauren Martin Harkins, and the gorgeous Paul Korver.

There's also some singing from various people who would go on to bigger work, like Jesse McCartney (wherever he is now), and in a duet, Joie Lenz and Abigail Spencer, who somehow managed to go on from the horrors of Becca to a very solid primetime career. And then the second Vicky Spaulding from GL, singing a song you probably shouldn't try to sing live, who gets more airtime here than she did during her 2 years in Springfield. And a lot of the cast bumping and grinding to Livin La Vida Loca.

They also take you behind the scenes of the studio.

http://www.youtube.com/user/absolutfushia

I sure miss the P&G soaps...

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Ahhh, I got to see my pretty, pretty Chris Hughes again! I actually thought TC was kinda of funny...but was Don Hastings flirting with her??? I thought I had gone nuts or somethi' (TC always talks about how she has a crush on DH and how funny he is.) I especially love how she introduces Holmes sarcastically as "the biggest star of the show." Could Colouris look any gayer in that and the joking between him and Parks about gay sex was a little uh, uncomfortable (I know Parks is straight, but song and dance man Parks seems so gay to me...

• Members

I'm probably being too hard on Terri, it's just the kind of "shocking" questions that annoy me...although it seemed to be an in joke with Don.

I guess it's a credit to the actors who showed up who had recently been fired. It was nice to see Craig Lawlor too, one of their best younger actors.

I had forgotten Scott still had dark hair at this point. What was he singing, was it like Tom Hughes hip hop or something. :lol:

I love Kathryn Hays giggling in that behind the scenes clip.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

John Hughes was played in 1957 by Lawrence Hugo,best known as the second mike Karr on Edge of Night.

Walter Burke played John later on in the early 60's. The character was onscreen for Pa Hughes 70th birthday in Nov 63, but I'm not sure if Burke was the actor involved.

Interestingly there was a Dr Snyder in the story in 56/57

• Members

Thank you, Paul. As always you know these great details.

I was wondering if anyone was interested if in a day or two I scanned an interview with Kelly Wood (Mary) from late 1976. She doesn't talk about the show that much, it's more about her life or marriage.

I forgot to mention the other episode 0814 put up, it's from September 1988, the day after Margo gives birth to Adam. The potential in Adam's story, just makes what they ended up doing with him all the worse. At least they tried to redeem him at the end I guess, so that's...better than nothing.

This episode has some very strong dramatic moments (love the scene with Tom and Craig) but what stands out is the quieter stuff, just people talking, like Bob and Kim recapping with Andy, Kim's obvious upset when she hears Betsy is leaving Oakdale, Roy Franklin's mother talking about how she was taught to be the perfect wife, the family moments with the Snyders and Lucinda's schemes, Betsy upbraiding Emily for her spitefulness. Every scene, big or small, has an impact, and stays with you. It also reinforces for me what an important character Betsy still was, in her links to various families and her relationship with Emily...I wish the show had kept her around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wav2OIWjzWE

• Members

Wow, Lisa Brown is more Nolaesque in that scene...maybe I am remembering Iva as being more morose then she was? I like the sister calling the thing with her dad "creepy," finally someone in that family commented on the freaky relationships there. I do have to say, the Snyders arent my favorite family but I liked them talking around the kitchen island...it seemed natural and unforced.

Remember when Bob and Kim had a house and everyone in Oakdale walked through it??? I miss that (I know it didnt make any sense, the door was never locked, but I liked it and think the show missed that in the last decade, that damn ugly diner does not make a community place.) I think Hays is such an overlooked actress, I think her Kim is the best "mom," in soaps, you never know if she is going to give our a hug or smack you upside the head, which is a quality most moms have! I would love for her to have a guest role on OLTL as friend of Vickis who is secretly evil. I think Hays could do a bitch very well!

Can anyone fill me in on the Adam as an adult stuff. I remember reading where he had raped someone and that totally turned me off that they would have a Hughes rape someon, so I didn't tune back in again until the cancellation....and then he was "dead," for a while?

Edited by Mitch

• Members

I think Iva was more lighthearted when she dated Kirk, as he was more of a quirky character. It was also because for Iva this was a relatively drama-free period.

I know what you mean about the Hughes place. It may have been idealized (as was having your mother in law live in the garage apartment) but they never made the family too sappy, they made sure to show the fallout on the kids of some of the problems, and how this affected Bob and Kim too. I'd love to see Kathryn on another soap, she represents the best of soap acting, the most understand and consistent kind where you recognize the character no matter what.

Back around 2006 Adam became jealous of Barbara's and Hal's son Will, over the affections of Gwen, and he set Will up for embezzling and then something happened and he and Gwen and Henry's sister Maddie were at a cabin and he tried to rape Gwen and one of them hit him over the head and buried him alive (they thought he was dead). Then he began stalking them until finally he was forced to leave town or they would reveal his crimes, or something.

Last year, the Hughes got the word that Adam had died, working overseas to help people or something, and his friend, Riley, showed up in Oakdale. He had gotten mixed up in something shady and Margo was shot and Riley revealed to her that he was actually Adam, with plastic surgery. He wanted to turn over a new leaf. Eventually other people found the truth, with Casey and Tom both being furious. He also befriended Allison, which I guess was supposed to start a triangle with Case over Allison. They retconned some of what he did to make him less unsympathetic and Maddie helped get the charges against him dropped. The story wasn't great but it had potential, as there was, for the first time in years, multi-generational drama (Casey/Adam in conflict, Margo/Tom and Margo/Casey in conflict, Bob angry at Allison over medical stuff). But then Kriezman took over as a headwriter and the story was very quickly dropped, with Casey convincing Adam to leave town to spare Margo any future pain. Don Hastings said the story was supposed to go on a lot longer than it did.

• Members

Sounds much more interesting then Tom Pelphery overacting as youthified James....(though it would have been hot if they had TP come between Luke and Noah.) But why go to all the trouble of saying he died and platic surgery. Why not just bring him back with a new actor and say, "Hey, I was messed up I am sorry for what I did," and get on with it?

• Members

I think that they thought him having plastic surgery and returning as Adam's friend was more dramatically interesting but I would have preferred your way. The start was kind of stupid and I'm not sure if viewers got over it.

I hope you saw the Eileen Fulton photos I scanned, I'm not totally sure they went through right. Her comments about Lisa crack me up...

• Members

That was this guy? Poor Eileen.

Wouldn't you have loved to have heard Lisa finish an act with a rousing rendition if "If you don't know the Bible you haven't got a prayer." I'd especially love to see Bob's reaction to that, or Nancy's, or Lucinda's.