Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The role of May was supposed to be a redhead also per the original casting...so I think they would have gone with a different actress. For years, I've wanted to get my hands on the Labine breakdowns that we never got to see.

• Members

Lisa Brown refused to return with Paul Rauch there. I'm just glad she came back for the end. The soap press was so busy making fun of Ellen Wheeler for crying and for being a Mormon that they never said anything about all the work she did to get people to come back for the end.

As for the Labines, I would have preferred them at ATWT. In theory their style should have fit GL, but the "wacky" comedy and the mobsters just didn't do for it for me. Blake becoming the new Lucy who was the new Delia felt jarringly wrong. And they had big tonal problems.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Why did Lisa refuse to return under Paul Rauch? Was there bad blood between them? I know (through the grapevine) that Maeve Kinkead and Paul Rauch supposedly had bad blood too from their AW days (alleged sexual harassment), so I am interested to hear what Lisa's issue was with them.

It was clear that Ellen did love the show, and I love how she (unlike her mentor, Chris Goutman) listened to fans and brought back fan faves at the end. I just think that Ellen should've never been EP. Being a director is the role she should've maintained. I wish that GL would've snagged someone like David Shaughnessy (before he leaped to B&B) or Ed Scott to be EP of the show in its final years. Hell, even Valentini would've been good (budget wise).

And I would've loved to see the Labines at ATWT too. I would've loved to have seen what Claire, Matthew, and Eleanor would've done with Lisa, Lucinda, Kim, Babs, Margo, Tom, and Bob. I think she would've had a field day with those characters and churned out great stories for them.

• Members

Exactly, Carl. According to an interview with Brown and Tylo, I think, Rauch's predecessor, Michael Laibson, had plans not only to reunite Quint and Nola but also bring back Mrs. Renfield for some big, action-adventure-heavy story that was supposed to be reminiscent of their "glory days" in the early '80's. However, because GUIDING LIGHT was in so much trouble in the ratings (I think it was during the Laibson/Megan McTavish era, in fact, when cancellation rumors first began to swirl), Rauch, in tandem with incoming HW's Barbara Esensten and James Harmon Brown, felt they needed to concentrate on stories and characters -- such as Annie/Reva/Josh and Matt/Vanessa -- that were surer bets (at least from their point of view) in bringing viewers back to the show. Hence, Quint and Nola's reconciliation, which had been in the works, was dropped; and Rauch simply let Tylo go. (IIRC, Tylo hadn't signed a contract, which made it easy for the writers simply to stop writing for him.)