Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Chappell would have made a great Amanda. I loved Poser and her Amanda (Thought Cullen was as dull as dishwater. ) but she should have been cast as Vicky Spaulding instead.

That list did not include one name...Wheeler herself was considered.

• Members

The intro of Julie! Now the teen scene is about to get real interesting. All we have left is the arrival of David. 

This episode once again exemplifies why Mark Derwin's Mallet & Kim Simms' Mindy should've been paired together. Those 2 had so much chemistry together. 

Blake was such a bitch getting Hart to go meet Davis and prove that Roger was behind the farm acquisition. While she can be so deliciously evil, Blake could be so vile. 

Please register in order to view this content

Holly said it best when she one time compared Blake to a baby viper that bred and nurtured before striking. Poor Hart was snowed when it comes to Blake. 

• Members

So it was July 1991 that Robert Calhoun left and Jill Farren Phelps came on. I'm glad I was able to experience Robert Calhoun's run both when it originally aired (as much as I could, given I was school-aged at the time) and rewatching again online.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

Do you all think that it was JFP that possibly had a hand in shifting Mallet from Mindy's orbit? B/c I swear by each passing episode that Mallet was about to be tossed into Mindy's orbit. Especially, seeing as Roger and Mallet were at odds. It would've made total sense for their rivalry to go further with Mindy wedged in the middle. 

• Members

Exactly. I agree that JFP force fed us to death with Harley, which killed her as a character. Later regimes would do the same with her, which made me happy when Beth Ehlers left the show. I was so glad to see the backside of Harley by then. 

Mallet just meshed well with Mindy. Sex scenes between those two would've been epic! 

• Members

These clips are so great to see, having loved so much of what was to come shortly after this.

Based on these scenes, I have little doubt they were testing the waters for Mallet and Mindy, or that Phelps was responsible for quickly moving him out of her orbit to make way for Nick (was there anyone else on canvas remotely in his age range who had been on the show during Lujack's run?).  While I can't say I'm a fan of her overall career as a producer, I'm actually not outraged at this point.  I did like Harley and Mallet together a lot in the '90s, and I think it's interesting in hindsight that Phelps not only kept him around and gave him a frontburner story with another leading lady, but he ultimately became as good a "friend of Jill" as just about anyone.  It's not exactly what I might have expected, based on the worst horror stories about her.  Granted, especially back when there was so much more money to go around in soap budgets, I doubt there was network pressure to sacrifice on 20/30-something white, male lead to make room for another...but still, it's interesting.

I also wonder if Mallet and Mindy were originally supposed to get together after Mindy/Roger and Francesca/Mallet inevitably ended badly, or what.  I seemed to recall when Derwin gave that aforementioned speech at the Soap Opera Digest Awards years later, the announcer said that he'd been nominated before for "hottest couple" or whatever it was called with Francesca, and IMDB confirms this.  I can't imagine they were that popular as a couple, based on what I've seen, and I do recall Digest always tried to be "fair" by giving an equal number of noms to each show.  But still, that suggests the show was promoting them heavily as a couple, at least at one point?

And, if Francesca had stuck around (and Nick never existed), where would that have left Mindy?  Were Roger and Mindy ever presented as a viable "love story," even before Curlee, et al took over?

Edited by DeliaIrisFan