Paul Raven

Guiding Light discussion thread

4,627 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, DRW50 said:

I always thought it was odd when Beverlee and Vicky Wyndham were nominated repeatedly in the late '70s but would usually lose out to other women, even AW women. It makes me wonder if there was some dislike.

I don't think either woman played the game of attending industry events, schmoozing with stars and execs from other shows and networks, and granting endless interviews to the soap press. They did their work and they went home. That's often misinterpreted as "putting on airs" and could very well have been held against them. 

56 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

Bev also accomplished an incredible feat if you think about it - Iris was such a definitive and iconic soap role, to then have similar success and create another strong character is not an easy task. I wonder how AW fans felt seeing her in a different role at this point. I know she given the choice to return to AW as Iris in the late 80's, but refused and wanted to continue as Alexandra. 

It broke my heart that she didn't return to AW, but I think she made the right choice in the end -- the writing on GL during her reign was, for the most part, leagues better than AW's. I tuned in to GL as much as I could to see her, but that unfortunately wasn't very often. I thought she was spectacular as Alex, though, just as she had been as Iris. 

On a sidenote, I always wished ATWT and GL did some type of corporate crossover storyline in the late 80's/early 90's.

I would have loved to see Beverlee and Elizabeth Hubbard in scenes together and bitching it up in their oh so classy ways...

Edited by BetterForgotten

26 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

On a sidenote, I always wished ATWT and GL did some type of corporate crossover storyline in the late 80's/early 90's.

I would have loved to see Beverlee and Elizabeth Hubbard in scenes together and bitching it up in their oh so classy ways...

I always wanted a Hubbard/Zaslow or Hubbard/Chris Benard scene. Not sure if he was still on GL at the time Hubbard first appeared on ATWT.

Beverlee and Liz would have been great too!

Can we add another stellar actress that was overlooked and never nominated -- Amelia Marshall. It is criminal how she never got an EMMY nomination for playing Gilly. God I miss her presence on daytime.

I feel like any soap today would be lucky to have Amelia Marshall today!  

I could shed a tear thinking about Marshall, Monti Sharp, Nia Long and Vince Williams.  

I took them for granted but watching the remaining soaps (well, I'm actually down to Y&R now), I can now see how rare it is to have a circle of actors who were each so strong in their own right.

WTF happened to Amelia Marshall? (Or Vanita Harbour, for that matter.)

43 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

I feel like any soap today would be lucky to have Amelia Marshall today!  

I could shed a tear thinking about Marshall, Monti Sharp, Nia Long and Vince Williams.  

I took them for granted but watching the remaining soaps (well, I'm actually down to Y&R now), I can now see how rare it is to have a circle of actors who were each so strong in their own right.

Amelia Marshall would be good on any soap. Like Vanessa L. Williams, but Amelia would've been the perfect Valerie Grant recast. B&B could've snagged her to play Sasha's mom. She'd be perfect on Y&R, but I don't think I'd want her hitched to drab a** Neil. I just miss her presence in daytime. 

Thank God that the early 90s episodes of GL are being post on YouTube, so I can relieve all four of those performers greatness once again. Just criminal how daytime regressed when it comes to diversity. 

40 minutes ago, Vee said:

Yes! DA Dara Jensen! She was so criminally underutilized on GH. I hate how GH got rid of her and the Wards by the end of the 90s. 

I rewatched a clip not long ago of Helena happily explaining to the court how she'd saved Katherine Bell's life - right after Katherine had walked in and crashed Stefan's trial for her murder. The look on Dara's face was priceless.

25 minutes ago, Vee said:

I rewatched a clip not long ago of Helena happily explaining to the court how she'd saved Katherine Bell's life - right after Katherine had walked in and crashed Stefan's trial for her murder. The look on Dara's face was priceless.

I loved that story arc as campy as it was.

GL aired overseas in Germany, Italy, and Iceland AFAIK. I don't think the P&G shows were really exported globally the way Y&R/B&B were.

2 minutes ago, kalbir said:

GL aired overseas in Germany, Italy, and Iceland AFAIK. I don't think the P&G shows were really exported globally the way Y&R/B&B were.

Did P&G even try and shop them abroad? I know some Brits said that they got GL & ATWT for some time, but they ceased showing after awhile. I think Sunset Beach got a longer run over there. 

I think the P&G shows were extremely popular in the Netherlands. Another World was very popular in Canada. 

They should've shopped these shows so much better. 

5 hours ago, Nothin'ButAttitude said:

I hate how GH got rid of her and the Wards by the end of the 90s. 

Oh god though, Justus was great and then he became a MOB lawyer and they recast him and it was just sad and awful. I totally agree about Amelia Marshall, her AMC character was a shadow of what Gilly was, but I loved her on AMC regardless. I think the lack of diversity on soaps nowadays is just ridiculous. The audience you could gain by having a diverse cast with diverse storytelling has to be so much greater than the racist backwards hicks you'll lose.

2 minutes ago, GH_Girl said:

Oh god though, Justus was great and then he became a MOB lawyer and they recast him and it was just sad and awful. I totally agree about Amelia Marshall, her AMC character was a shadow of what Gilly was, but I loved her on AMC regardless. I think the lack of diversity on soaps nowadays is just ridiculous. The audience you could gain by having a diverse cast with diverse storytelling has to be so much greater than the racist backwards hicks you'll lose.

They should know that thanks to the success of Empire, Scandal, This is Us, Grey's Anatomy, How to Get Away with Murder...

All these shows have diverse casting and have strong ratings. It just boggles my mind how daytime soaps continue to fight against what is right in front of them. What is even worse is that Nielsen revealed a few years back that we (African Americans) are the largest consumers in TV and Internet. We are also the largest group to still watch daytime TV; however soaps still refuse to cast and write for Black characters. That's why all the soaps are in the dumps compared to what they used to be 20 years ago when soaps beefed up their roster with diverse characters. 

6 hours ago, Vee said:

She got stuck with an awful one-note villainess role on Passions for the longest. It was sad to see Marshall be given such a thnakless role.