Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

I don't think either woman played the game of attending industry events, schmoozing with stars and execs from other shows and networks, and granting endless interviews to the soap press. They did their work and they went home. That's often misinterpreted as "putting on airs" and could very well have been held against them. 

It broke my heart that she didn't return to AW, but I think she made the right choice in the end -- the writing on GL during her reign was, for the most part, leagues better than AW's. I tuned in to GL as much as I could to see her, but that unfortunately wasn't very often. I thought she was spectacular as Alex, though, just as she had been as Iris. 

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

On a sidenote, I always wished ATWT and GL did some type of corporate crossover storyline in the late 80's/early 90's.

I would have loved to see Beverlee and Elizabeth Hubbard in scenes together and bitching it up in their oh so classy ways...

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I feel like any soap today would be lucky to have Amelia Marshall today!  

I could shed a tear thinking about Marshall, Monti Sharp, Nia Long and Vince Williams.  

I took them for granted but watching the remaining soaps (well, I'm actually down to Y&R now), I can now see how rare it is to have a circle of actors who were each so strong in their own right.

• Members

Amelia Marshall would be good on any soap. Like Vanessa L. Williams, but Amelia would've been the perfect Valerie Grant recast. B&B could've snagged her to play Sasha's mom. She'd be perfect on Y&R, but I don't think I'd want her hitched to drab a** Neil. I just miss her presence in daytime. 

Thank God that the early 90s episodes of GL are being post on YouTube, so I can relieve all four of those performers greatness once again. Just criminal how daytime regressed when it comes to diversity. 

Yes! DA Dara Jensen! She was so criminally underutilized on GH. I hate how GH got rid of her and the Wards by the end of the 90s. 

• Members

I rewatched a clip not long ago of Helena happily explaining to the court how she'd saved Katherine Bell's life - right after Katherine had walked in and crashed Stefan's trial for her murder. The look on Dara's face was priceless.

• Members

Did P&G even try and shop them abroad? I know some Brits said that they got GL & ATWT for some time, but they ceased showing after awhile. I think Sunset Beach got a longer run over there. 

I think the P&G shows were extremely popular in the Netherlands. Another World was very popular in Canada. 

They should've shopped these shows so much better. 

• Members

Oh god though, Justus was great and then he became a MOB lawyer and they recast him and it was just sad and awful. I totally agree about Amelia Marshall, her AMC character was a shadow of what Gilly was, but I loved her on AMC regardless. I think the lack of diversity on soaps nowadays is just ridiculous. The audience you could gain by having a diverse cast with diverse storytelling has to be so much greater than the racist backwards hicks you'll lose.

• Members

They should know that thanks to the success of Empire, Scandal, This is Us, Grey's Anatomy, How to Get Away with Murder...

All these shows have diverse casting and have strong ratings. It just boggles my mind how daytime soaps continue to fight against what is right in front of them. What is even worse is that Nielsen revealed a few years back that we (African Americans) are the largest consumers in TV and Internet. We are also the largest group to still watch daytime TV; however soaps still refuse to cast and write for Black characters. That's why all the soaps are in the dumps compared to what they used to be 20 years ago when soaps beefed up their roster with diverse characters.