Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

Watching these episodes just sadden me with how daytime regressed. I can remember reading that it was the early 90s that fans demanded more diversity on soaps and we saw this shift in daytime. Y&R ushered in the Winters & Barber. GL had the Speakes & Grants. AMC had the Fryes & Santoses. The Baxters were driving story on Loving. OLTL ushered in the Gannons. Diversity was just flourishing everywhere on daytime and they all actually got stellar stories. Now, they don't get crap. I'm just loving seeing the beginning of Kat shaking up for Billy/Hamp, and also knowing that the teen scene on GL is about to be lit with Hart, Julie, David, and Bridget soon arriving. 

Also, can we discuss the promo at the end of GL--one of my favorite GL promos. The sexy promo with the ominous version of Hold Onto Love playing and Kimberly Simms slinging that long, beautiful mane in the wind. Gosh, GL was so sexy then! 

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I can't wait until this channel gets further into 1991. I have heard about the Jean Weatheril whodunit, but have never seen anything except the ending and Daniel holding Holly hostage. 

• Members

Ugh hate hate hate Nick. Hate hate hate. It took me 4 years to stop hating him and scenes like the above are why. 

I always forget another actor played Charles Grant for a while. 

@marceline there are some good Gilly bits in the second clip.

• Members

I've been watching along with the 1991 episodes and oh man do I wish Melina would drop the Greek accent. I've seen episodes from the end of her run and she never did drop it! I totally figured she'd pull a Mac Scorpio (GH) and phase it out. It's probably only weird to me because I loved Providence and remember her from that.

• Members

I've been watching BandstandMike's 1991 episodes as he puts them up, and I've watched a few random storylines (Blake/Ross which was my favorite so far, Maureen's Death, what I can find of Carrie Todd), but can anyone recommend a good GL storyline that's up on You Tube?? I'm not a super huge Reva fan, lol, so preferably not her (though it's fine if she's in it, just not the focus). I didn't start watching GL until 1997 so everything before that is new to me.