Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

They couldn't make Nola psychic, as her sister in law was during the cabin mystery. Nola and Quint should have gotten that storyline, or at least have been more closely involved..as in Tony and Annabelle are having weird things happening and Nola investigates and starts having psychic visions.  Also, Nadine, ( was a rip off of Nola) was psychic during Ghost Reva storyline) she saw her own death from Brent...)

Reva's Post Resurrection story lines didn't work as while she acted over the top, Reva was worked best in earthy, down to earth story lines. Even in the 80s with her big hair, big earings and shoulder pads she seemed more human and real as she was dealing with family and relationship issues (sure in big soap opera ways) drawn towards Josh, battling both Billy and H.B...sniping with Van, and then actually against her will, finding love with H.B, and then loosing her baby. All of the best story lines were those that dealt with her sexuality and her trying to find love and family and respect..not the crap that Rauch thought was fitting for her. 

• Members

The only post Reva return story that wasnt too bad was the brief time she was married to Buzz and working in the diner.  They both knew they were platonic with occasional rompa in the hay....but that was cut short to restart the Annie/josh/reva triangle.

What was funny was that before annie went crazy...it wasnt all pro reva/josh. There was a 50/50 divide between the two couples...but sadly Annie going crazy to make reva the winner was the start of a trend of lipsided triangles where one was the clear victor.

The show assumed the brief rise in ratinga in 1997 was due to Reva...it wasnt...it was the stoey and mostly Annie.  

• Members

If I remember correctly, Maureen's funeral was never shown. We only saw the aftermath of the funeral and a fleeting reference to the Reardon family being present. Frankly, I wasn't surprised that they didn't appear. Besides Bea, Chelsea, and Bridget, we never saw the rest of the Reardon family interact with Ellen Parker's Maureen. Lisa Brown, Michael Woods, Greg Beecroft, Michael Tylo, and Harley Kozak had all appeared alongside Ellen Dolan's Maureen. Had Dolan still been playing Maureen, I think they might have brought back the Reardons as they would have been able to use flashbacks to remember the character.

• Members

They had a brief flash to the cemetery where they showed unidentified people standing around with the cast and an older woman crossed herself, which I assumed was supposed to be Bea. Blake mentions that the entire family went to the Boardinghouse afterwards which didnt make sense but at least there was a mention.

• Members

How do you think Douglas Marland would have continued his stories on GL? I am sure some of his ideas were used on LOVING and ATWT.

Would the Reardons become his Snyders? We already had "Emma", "Meg" and "Nola" and "Holden/Caleb"

Would Morgan Richards become his Lily Snyder? Jennifer Richards reminded me a little bit of a much softer Lucinda Walsh with her two daughters, one of whom she had given up as a baby. 

What were his plans for Carrie? And her son?

Would Phillip be SORASed to have Jack Forbes's problems?

• Members

To be honest...Im glad he left GL.

If he hadnt...we wouldnt have had the 4 muskateers, nor would we have had Billy/Vanessa..Alexandra, Fletcher, H.B, India, Harley, Frank, Nadine...and thats just off the top of my head.  

To me, Marland wasnt a great fit on GL.  He was decent...but a lot of his stories the first year or so were due to the dobson material.

• Members

While he may not have been paired with Vanessa, it's very possible that Billy might have shown up if Marland had continued writing. Ditto HB. The character of Billy Lewis was mentioned in a clip Robert Newman recently posted showing his scenes from his first episode in October 1981. Josh's first scenes were with Trish, Amanda, Mike, Jennifer, and Morgan, and he and Trish talk about Billy. I believe HB was also mentioned during the Marland era.

• Members

HB was definitely mentioned during Marland's term. In some clips still available on YouTube from around 1982, I believe, Trish mentions to Mike about her really wanting Mike to meet her brother and her father, mentioning them both by name. I have a feeling Marland would have eventually introduced them both.

• Members

I think I read somewhere that Marland had planned for Carrie to kill Jackie Marler while under control of one of her alters and then stand trial for murder.  There was going to be a moment when Carrie realized (probably on the witness stand) that she had indeed killed Jackie, at the same time everyone in town would realize the extent of her psychological problems.  When Allen Potter let Jane Elliot go, however, Marland nixed those plans.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Agreed on Marland and Long...but not the Dobs..they sucked...(at least on ATWT.)

I thought the perfect writer would be the love child of Marland and Long! I wonder how things would have gone if Marland and Long teamed up..she needed his structure and his control and his respect for history, and he needed her passion, heart and humor.   But I think they woulda just ended up killing each other.