Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I feel like this story was a victim of the writer transition between interim writers Michael Conforti and Victor Miller and E&B,  not to mention the behind the scene issues with Zas.  It really seemed like they were trying to go in another direction at the start of the story when Roger visited Vanessa in Switzerland.

• Members

I was never a fan of the way Amanda was written during her time in Springfield during the 1990's, which is a shame because I did like Toby Poser as an actress. I wasn't a fan of de-aging Amanda (did Kathleen Cullen even get an inquiry if she'd like to return?), and then having Brandon be Amanda's father versus Alan after 16 years made zero sense.  It was this storyline, along with MZ getting let go, which finally got me to stop watching in 1997 (although I briefly watched again when they brought back Ken Norris).

• Members

The Amanda story was a victim of interim writers. It started with Conforti and Miller and Roger asking Vanessa why Alex always has the upper hand with Alan, and even if he is right he backs down from her. So it was a story about Alex having something over Alan's head...(though in the past Alex won as she was slicker and more on the side of "right," then Alan, and they also went back and forth on winning...) Then it came down to as Marj would say in interviews "That G**D*** bust" of Brandons with something hidden in it and then it was the birth certificate where they wrote Amanda's mother's name wrong. Amanda as Bradon's father could have been good, as that was the original intro of Amanda that she MIGHT be Brandon's daughter, but it was screwed up from the start and if it was true, Alex needed to be there to play the story out.

I love Toby's Amanda as I hated the original drippy Amanda. I know it didn't make any sense as Amanda was suddenly younger with a new personality. I wish that Poser was another character, with her exotic-y looks she could have been Victoria's younger sister or something.

• Members

Those were fun lines, although I remember Liz Keifer saying that she didn't like saying them. I wonder sometimes if Toby Poser was hurt by them as wasn't she biracial? I'm not sure. 

I thought she was great as Amanda, although I liked Kathleen too, when I went back and watched her run. By and large Amanda had so much wasted potential. 

• Members

I always thought she was bi-racial and would make a great Barbardos Spaulding ...(I thought the boring Vickie Rauch and E & B brought on was a boring as hell and did nothing..but no one really did anything at that time but Josh and Reva and Phillip and Harley and Cassie and Prancing Prince..) However, I am not sure if she is or not.   The main problem is that sexually repressed (or frigid as they contantly said) and staid character became this over the top sex vixen with a smart mouth..so she would have worked better as another character then Amanda. ( I cant get the image of Cullen with that damn doll out of my head!)