Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

I didn't want them to have a happy ending. Just closure. I think it would've been poignant to see Roger and Holly get a true ending between the two of them. It would've pulled at my heart strings to see Roger and Holly remarry and Roger to discover he had ALS. Holly would be upset that her time with Roger, after being reunited, is being robbed and cut short. Blake would be distraught over losing her father and worrying about if the disease is hereditary and able to spread to her or her kids. 

That's better than the story they went on to have post Roger leaving--Holly going on to stalk people and kidnap their kids, and Blake engaging in another tryst where she questioned, who the father of her child was (again). 

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

For some reason, I had it in mind that you were talking about doing the ALS story in '04, when Sebastian was introduced.  My bad.  :) 

On the other hand, weren't James Harmon Brown and Barbara Esensten the HW's when Zaslow left?  Yeah, I wouldn't have wanted them to write that kind of story either.  By the end of '97/start of '98, which was the last time I watched GL on a consistent basis (meaning, an average of 4-5 times per week), I had soured on those two and their brand of storytelling.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I always say this when the MZ story comes up..it WAS terrible how MADD mismanaged the whole thing. However, I do agree that it would have been both hard for the viewers to see Zaz/Roger fail as it would have been to write and produce it...( patients have good days and bad days the disease progresses differently on people, how do you write for something months in advance..etc. )
Also working with a populaiton that is older, I know it is hard  for people to let go even when they are physically unable to do so.

The respectfull thing to do was to write Roger out for a bit (at first they did not know what was wrong with Zaz) until they found out what he was looking at. It could have been a cryptic goodbye from Roger to Holly.  I would have brought him back as maybe having Holly and Blake be his leg men as he proceeds to wreck his final revenge on the Spauldings by doing a complete takeover and kicking them out. So he could have a scene with both Holly and Blake talking about the illness, this would cause problems for both Holly and Ed (during that time I would put them togther) and Blake and Ross. The twist would be that Holly would LOVE the power and Blake wouldn't ...she finds her happiness with her family which she loosed (for a time) .  Holly would own part of Spaulding and constantly battle Alan and Alex...(she had good chem with Ron Raines) and after Zaz and Roger died I would proceed with the Sebastian story only this time it would have been a kid that Roger secretly adopted and schooled to be as ruthless as him.and that kid would have been Ed and Rita's kid...the ultimate revenge on Ed..a son that becomes Roger and HATES every everything Ed stands for.

• Members

No she was sleeping with both. Knowing TPTB they would have made it a Spaulding (just like having Beths kid turned out to be Alan..EWWWWW) but it works better as a Bauer. Having a bad Bauer would have been fun and ultimate revenge....Roger would steal Holly from Ed (as she would become more like him and I love MG when she is being the power bitch not the poor heroine) AND steal his kid too...all from beyond the grave! Then the Rick/Bad Bauer story would have wheels as they take on the Ed/Rog roles.

• Members

But I think you could still get the same impact if child was Alan's. Ed would probably still see the child as his and take it in as surrogate as that's something Ed did a few times. Plus, there would've been Phillip added to the mix. 

Maybe I am being biased b/c I can't imagine the Bauers creating a toxic being. Like the Hughes of ATWT, I'd always want them to be gray characters but not morally corrupt. 

• Members

Something possessed me to watch the series finale tonight, and I had forgotten about that little moment where Bill says to Fletcher, "I miss Ben," and Fletcher responds that he misses him, too. The actors put a LOT into that small exchange, and it got to me. I just wish there had been time for more sentiments like that (er, minus the terrible foundation of Ben not being there to begin with).