Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I had forgotten this was Sherry Stringfield's last episode on the show, and what a way to go out. She'll always be "my Blake."

Also, few soap opening scenes have stuck with me as much as Holly dropping that tray. I've said it a million times, but Maureen Garrett was and is so damn underrated - it's actors like her that made me fall in love with soaps, and Holly was so wonderfully complex during this era.

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Mine too. Loved her as Blake. Losing both Sherry Stringfield and Beverlee McKinsey (RIP) in the same month was a huge blow to the show. I stopped watching not long after.

I was feeling nostalgic over the holiday weekend and found myself rewatching summer/fall 1989 episodes. CBS daytime on the whole was so awesome in the late 1980s/early 1990s, with the game show block and 4 daytime dramas at full steam.

I had totally forgotten Michelle Forbes was on GL. I started watching in spring 1989 and I believe she was gone by the end of year, so I only watched the tail end of her run. I looked Michelle Forbes up on IMDb and she's been working steadily for the last 25 years and in some big hits, I'm impressed. Her latest entry on IMDb is the upcoming Hunger Games movie, wow.

Anybody know what became of Kimberley Simms? I thought she was really pretty, and looked a lot like Christie Brinkley. I read that she was considered for two major recasts in the mid 1990s, Jennifer on Days and Ashley on Y&R, but as we know nothing came of it. Her IMDb entry only has a couple of entries post-GL so she might have retired from acting.

I didn't watch GL for very long (spring 1989 to summer 1992) but I'm glad I did for those great years.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

The general ensemble for the show was incredibly strong in the late 80's/early 90's. Only ATWT really came close for me in terms of the actors.

In my time watching soaps, that era for the two CBS P&G soaps really had the best acting (there were duds for both soaps of course, but overall amazing). 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

^^^Each year my love for those two characters just grows deeper and deeper. I don't think I'll ever enjoy a duo or dynamic between two soap characters as much I did with those two. Roger and Holly just touched a part of my soul that very few things in the entertainment world touch. It also helped that they were both deeply fascinating characters away from one another and were played by two superb (not to mention underrated) actors.

Not surprisingly, my favourite eras of this show tend to have Roger/Holly as a main focus point. I always knew when I watched them as a kid that I was watching something very rare and magnificent. I really didn't realize how lucky I was back then, and re-watching clips on YouTube just reaffirms it to me. 

There will never be a dynamic or two characters like this on soaps ever again. They were truly one of a kind. 

• Members

MZ & MG had a chemistry that was unmatched. Despite all the heinous things Roger did to Holly, I wanted those two to end together. I hate how MADD fired MZ instead of giving Roger and Holly the proper ending they deserved. I would've found it more compelling for the big, bad Roger Thorpe to become stricken with ALS (much like MZ) and to succumb his ailment than to be written off and to have some bastard child (Sebastian) come back and avenge him. I think MZ and MG would've given EMMY worthy performances had they just wrote MZ's ailment into the show. 

• Members

They were both very flawed and troubled people. At times, Holly could be very unsympathetic, yet I loved her and strangely wanted the best for her. 

Regardless of the terrible treatment P&G gave Zas, I do think it's fitting Roger and Holly never got a happy ending. They were not that kind of couple, and someone once said they were the true definition of an anti-supercouple, and I love that. I loved watching the two of them move in and out of each other's obit at different times, but I always knew that whatever peace they found with one another was always going to be tentative, even if they loved one another deeply despite everything.

I could go on forever, but those of us who witnessed the greatness of these two characters are so lucky. I don't think GL/P&G ever quite expected that this duo would ever be as popular and vital to the show as they were.