Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Press Your Luck was cancelled in September 1986, and CBS returned the 4 pm ET time slot to the affiliates; they were the last network to do so.

Had CBS decided to end Guiding Light instead of Capitol to make way for B&B, I think B&B would've been 1 hour from the start.

I think the affiliate time shifting began in the fall of 1993, when CBS cancelled Family Feud Challenge and returned the 10 am ET time slot to the affiliates.

• Members

No Guiding Light was moved from the afternoon time slots due to this show called Day & Date, which began the fall of 1995. It was a live news/information show that was on the owned and operated stations. In the Bay Area of California, GL was pulled from their local station in 93 though. For some that was the beginning of the end due to how many potential viewers GL lost in that huge market.

• Members

Nola and Vanessa's tiff these past few episodes have been hilarious. I loved how Quint and Nola had their little spat and make up in the kitchen too. Seeing how sexy Quint is, I would melt like butter too if I was Nola. I don't even think I'd put up a fight.

What are some of you long-term fans thoughts on Warren? From reading his backstory, he seemed interesting up until the Paul Valere murder mystery. He seemed like a lite version of Roger. But after Lesley-Anne's overdose did everyone find out that she and Warren were having an affair, hence the breakup of she and Floyd?

And boy did Bradley slap the taste out of Beth's mouth. I knew Lillian was a sap but I didn't know she was that spineless. Sad because I love Tina Sloan as an actress but Lillian never really grew a backbone. From the time I watched, she still was a meek, mousy sap with no luck. Somewhat makes me understand why Beth later on in life started going for what she wanted.

• Members

Ratings were dropping entering the 1990s, and through that decade, except for one season there was an increase:

1989/90: 5.4 (#7, tied w/ Days of our Lives)

1990/91: 5.2 (#7, tied w/ Days of our Lives)

1991/92: 5.6 (#5)

1992/93: 5.4 (#7)

1993/94: 5.4 (#8)

1994/95: 4.4 (#8)

1995/96: 4.0 (#8)

1996/97: 4.0 (#7, tied w/ One Life to Live)

1997/98: 4.0 (#7)

1998/99: 3.5 (#8)

Early 1995 were the first cancellation rumors I recall. I was thinking a cancellation was coming in late 1996 or early 1997 as it looked like CBS was preparing to expand B&B to 1 hour in time for it's 10th anniversary but for whatever reason that didn't happen.

• Members

It's always difficult for me to take Warren seriously, as he's such a hissy queen at times.

I think Lillian grew a backbone to a point in later years, mostly because they wrote Beth and Lizzie as so childish someone had to be an adult.

• Members

LOL..I was going to post that there is NO WAY Warren was really interested in Lesley Ann..except for a beard! I never thought that he and Alex were really anything other then friends, actually, he was her lackey who made her laugh and in way was her beard as she could have someon on her arm as she went around terrorrizing her enemies. I really wish they had recast Mike Bauer and put them together..Alex needed a MAN to deal with her and neither Warren or dumb Fletcher could do that.

If the Clone made the ratings drop so bad, why the hell did that idiot MADD consider it their last great "success."??

• Members

With MADD and other idiots in charge, the show kept making the same cringeworthy mistakes over and over again.

Reva the Ghost! Reva the Amish Amnesiac! Reva the San Cristotapian Queen! Reva the Clone! Reva the Illegal Immigrant Savior! Reva the Blind! Reva the Time Traveler! Reva the Portly Object of Every Man's Lust!

UGH!

Along with decimating the Bauer family and hacking away at the show's legacy characters and core, the overemphasis on Reva, the Santos, and San Cristocrap really put too many bullets into TGL for the old gal ever to recover. I'm surprised the show lasted as long as it did.

Edited by vetsoapfan