SOD: All Soaps... [9/22/09]

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Except for the fact that Brad Cole is unfortunately on the cover, it does look good. And that "splitting the sales: stuff from Lynn Leahey is [!@#$%^&*], I would have bought both magazines...

But at least we got one cover. Hopefully someone can scan the SID cover soon so we can see if GL made 2. But now that I think about it, they will probably have on Colleen and Mary Jane from Y&R...

• Members

It was half-ass in terms of what I've seen SOD do before, but as I mentioned before they did give 6 pages to GL's goodbye. In the 6 pages is a full cast photo, a little piece on the last days on the set, 11 actors talk about their favorite storylines, a list of some highlights from the tribute to GL at the Paley Center for Media event, and like 10 pictures from the last episode of GL.

I don't know if the SOD/SOW family made the right decision here. It's the end of the longest running daytime serial. This is one of those cases where I don't really see sales being split that badly if they double-booked GL. I'm not a GL viewer but as somebody who only buys SOD in terms of soap magazines, I would have loved a more complete SOD tribute to GL along with a cover.

• Members

I agree...with that awful Hanna Barbera cartoon font. My 5-year old nephew could design a better looking cover.

Guess it was desperately important to have that fat yellow banner across the top with Rex-Gigi info. God knows that's some very important breaking news to get out into the grocery stores.

GL deserved a better-looking, more professional-looking goodbye covers on both mags, imo.

Sounds like the 6 page story was nice though.

Thanks, Angela.

• Members

If you are a buyer of soap magazines, you are a buyer of soap magazines and you don't really give a [!@#$%^&*] about who's on the cover. What soap fan in their right mind would ever slight SOD or SOW for not doing a full page cover for GL's cancellation?? If anything, "commemorative" farewell to the longest running drama in TV history covers makes more sense than this "split sales" crap.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

In light of the ratings surge GL got their final week, I wonder if SOD is kicking themselves for having not done something extravagant for GL's final week. Posters said it was a money issue, and SOD/SOW looks at the ratings to determine that. Well, the ratings were in GL's favor.

• Members

i doubt it.

people tuning in for the week does not mean they would have rushed out to buy an awful hackjob of a cover and some tribute in a mag. the diehard fans would, but thats about it, and would those fans make up for the loss of issues that Y&R/Days/GH fans wouldnt buy when at checkout at the store?

Archived