Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

SOD: All Soaps... [9/22/09]

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Angela

Angela

Veteran

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:25 PM

I don't think GL is getting a cover.

Posted Image

LATE-BREAKING NEWS
Backstage BUZZ! (from the Emmy's; Gina T. is in preliminary talks to join Y&R)
Damon Joins the Mob - on ATWT! (Stuart Damon)
DAYS: Chloe Wakes Up!
GL: Emmy Tribute Controversy
GH's Nikolas and Liz Have Sex
OLTL: Rex Proposes to Gigi!
Y&R's Ashley Tells Victor That She Hit Nikki
Dance Fever on AMC
B&B's Eric to Adopt Marcus

HOT PLOTS PREVIEW
B&B: Bill and Katie Have Sex
ATWT: Lily and Damian Do, Too (have sex that is)
Y&R: Victoria Tells J.T. that She Slept with Deacon
OLTL: Fish Comes Out to His Parents

EDITORS' CHOICE: Family Ties, ATWT
PERFORMER OF THE WEEK: Crystal Chappell (Olivia, GL)

#2 Ann_SS

Ann_SS

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:52 PM

Sex with the Pillsbury Dough Boy will be an unique experience for Liz. Hope he does not crush her.

Thanks, Angela.

#3 miss wolf

miss wolf

Recurring

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:52 PM

It's the last week of Guiding Light and they don't even get the COVER? :blink:

#4 Guest_dc cubs_*

Guest_dc cubs_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:18 PM

Wow, I really thought GL would get the cover their last week on air. Shame on SOD for not recognizing them.

#5 Dan

Dan

RIP GL 1937 - 2009

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:19 PM

Well looks like it's going to be my last copy ever of SOD. You guys at that magazine will be hearing from me, I promise.

#6 Soapsuds

Soapsuds

HO HO HO

• Members
  • 24,613 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:34 PM

Well looks like it's going to be my last copy ever of SOD. You guys at that magazine will be hearing from me, I promise.

LOL..are you surprised?? GL should have gotten the cover with a lot of history/storylines of the show. I would have bought SOD had the cover been GL with all the tributes and stories..etc...

I havent bought SOD in ages.

#7 Dan

Dan

RIP GL 1937 - 2009

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:44 PM

Call it the optimist in me, but, yes I was. SOW will probably do an Emmy cover, but I'm not mad at them considering they put together a great GL cover back in April. SID is probably our only hope for recognition next week.

#8 baller

baller

Contract

• Members
  • 901 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:44 PM

Here's the best thing about that--the 4 minute tribute that he did--not much better. Way to much obnoxious fan boy, not enough GL.

I wonder if the subscription cover will be GL (if you don't have a subscription Angela...)

#9 Angela

Angela

Veteran

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:30 PM

I buy it off the newsstand.

It is possible subscribers may get a different cover because this was definitely the SOD saying farewell to GL issue. It's a 6 page spread, the Emmy coverage was longer. I'd give it a C- in terms of what they could have done (and have done in the past with other tribute type pieces) but didn't do, maybe they gave SOW most of the room to work with the goodbye?

#10 dragonflies

dragonflies

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 25,611 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:44 PM

Nik and Liz have sex? :wub:

I'm not surprised GL didn't get a cpver. Typical SOD.

It can't hurt to mention this at the SOD message board too

What's the controversy?

#11 baller

baller

Contract

• Members
  • 901 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:37 AM

Nik and Liz have sex? :wub:

What's the controversy?

In regards to the "tribute" for GL duing the emmys, which to me focused WAY to much on the last year (not a highlight at all) and was only a minute thirty in length when it aired--and done by Michael Fairman. Apparently he did do a 4 minute thing and they cut it down. I'm a little confused on the cut in time and how he didn't know about it before hand.

So he's got the full tribute he did and it's still not that much better. At the point "Otalia", Tammy's death, that damn comic book storyline get more time than Roger it's not a tribute. At least half of the tribute is devoted to the last year of GL-but no blackout, . We get almost 30 seconds of Tammy and Coop's death but 3 seconds of Crazy Annie. No Brent/Marion/Lucy, No Nadine and Bridget, No Jenna...the list goes on and on. And don't get me started on big misses like Sherry Stringfield, Allison Janney, Nia Long, Tay Diggs.

It's a tragedy that the CW only gave GL a couple of mins, but I put just as much blame on Michael Fairman and the production company, who seemed to actually forget GL had 72 years, and a good 65 of them were a hella of a lot better than this last one. It's what happens when "press" drinks the kool aid and is too busy being an EW fangurl to actually do their job.

Edited by baller, 09 September 2009 - 12:39 AM.

#12 JackPeyton

JackPeyton

Star.

• Members
  • 17,729 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:29 AM

why would GL get the cover? Its going off the air for a reason - very few people watch it, im sure even less would buy a magazine because it was on the cover. Its been proven that Days, Y&R, and GH sell. If it were my magazine i sure as hell wouldnt put it on the cover. A goodbye tribute inside? Without a doubt. But no cover.

I love that image of Ali Sweeney they used too.

Eric to Adopt Marcus? Isnt he an adult? WTF.

Nikolas & Liz :wub:

HOT PLOTS PREVIEW
B&B: Bill and Katie Have Sex
ATWT: Lily and Damian Do, Too (have sex that is)
Y&R: Victoria Tells J.T. that She Slept with Deacon
OLTL: Fish Comes Out to His Parents

Whats sad is all of these SOUND good to me, but if i were to tune in they will not be that good. No wonder soaps are dying.

#13 ChiTownBoi03

ChiTownBoi03

Contract

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:50 AM

Nicole you going DOWN boo boo!!

#14 ArizonaDaze

ArizonaDaze

Recurring

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:20 AM

You know, I never watched Guiding Light but SOD did the show a disservice by not putting them on the cover alone. To all the GL fans out there, sorry to see your show going off the air. :(
ETA: GL Fans would probably buy the magazine as a keepsake, but I see your point JP.

Edited by ArizonaDaze, 09 September 2009 - 10:40 AM.

#15 Shakur

Shakur

Dayplayer

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:07 AM

Screw sales. It's ONE week out of the year where they wouldn't put DAYS, Y&R or GH on the cover. Yes SOD is a business and they want to maximize their profits, but they are also supposed to be in the business of thoughtfully covering this medium. Not covering the longest-running show in television history is not only a slap in the face to GL, but a sign of how far the soap media has fallen.

SOD and most of the soap press stopped being relevant years ago by letting the shows dictate what they cover in an effort not to lose money. What they don't realize is that paying lip-service to these shows and the people that run them - instead of reporting on them like other media outlets would - is helping dig their own graves by helping perpetuate the problems facing soaps today.

I could definitely see even non-GL viewers buying this magazine if it was a good enough tribute. Another World got the covers of major magazines when it went off the air 10 years ago and it was the second lowest rated show on the air at the time.

#16 Guest_dc cubs_*

Guest_dc cubs_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:54 PM

Roger at We Love Soaps posted about GL not getting the SOD cover in his blog. Lynn Leahy responded to him

We Love Soaps

Lynn Leahey, Editorial Director for both Soap Opera Digest and Soap Opera Weekly, offered an explanation to We Love Soaps "That was a really tough call, and I understand your frustration. We donít put the same show on both Digest and Weekly because we just canít split sales between the two magazines. I had to decide which cover it would go on, and since Weekly has room for more images, I gave it to Weekly."

#17 dragonflies

dragonflies

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 25,611 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:14 PM

So TV Guide can do a 2 page tribute with a full cast photo, but SOD a SOAP magazine can't? Just wow

Nikolas & Liz :wub:

JP we agree ;)

#18 Y&RWorldTurner

Y&RWorldTurner

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 20,210 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:10 PM

Well, at least GL got a cover from SOW, thanks to the folks at We Love Soaps for bringing this to attention:

Posted Image

#19 Dan

Dan

RIP GL 1937 - 2009

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:25 PM

Except for the fact that Brad Cole is unfortunately on the cover, it does look good. And that "splitting the sales: stuff from Lynn Leahey is [!@#$%^&*], I would have bought both magazines...

But at least we got one cover. Hopefully someone can scan the SID cover soon so we can see if GL made 2. But now that I think about it, they will probably have on Colleen and Mary Jane from Y&R...

#20 Angela

Angela

Veteran

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:14 AM

So TV Guide can do a 2 page tribute with a full cast photo, but SOD a SOAP magazine can't? Just wow

It was half-ass in terms of what I've seen SOD do before, but as I mentioned before they did give 6 pages to GL's goodbye. In the 6 pages is a full cast photo, a little piece on the last days on the set, 11 actors talk about their favorite storylines, a list of some highlights from the tribute to GL at the Paley Center for Media event, and like 10 pictures from the last episode of GL.

I don't know if the SOD/SOW family made the right decision here. It's the end of the longest running daytime serial. This is one of those cases where I don't really see sales being split that badly if they double-booked GL. I'm not a GL viewer but as somebody who only buys SOD in terms of soap magazines, I would have loved a more complete SOD tribute to GL along with a cover.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users