SOD: All Soaps... [9/22/09]

• Members

I don't think GL is getting a cover.

sodcov11.jpg

LATE-BREAKING NEWS

Backstage BUZZ! (from the Emmy's; Gina T. is in preliminary talks to join Y&R)

Damon Joins the Mob - on ATWT! (Stuart Damon)

DAYS: Chloe Wakes Up!

GL: Emmy Tribute Controversy

GH's Nikolas and Liz Have Sex

OLTL: Rex Proposes to Gigi!

Y&R's Ashley Tells Victor That She Hit Nikki

Dance Fever on AMC

B&B's Eric to Adopt Marcus

HOT PLOTS PREVIEW

B&B: Bill and Katie Have Sex

ATWT: Lily and Damian Do, Too (have sex that is)

Y&R: Victoria Tells J.T. that She Slept with Deacon

OLTL: Fish Comes Out to His Parents

EDITORS' CHOICE: Family Ties, ATWT

PERFORMER OF THE WEEK: Crystal Chappell (Olivia, GL)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Call it the optimist in me, but, yes I was. SOW will probably do an Emmy cover, but I'm not mad at them considering they put together a great GL cover back in April. SID is probably our only hope for recognition next week.

• Members

I buy it off the newsstand.

It is possible subscribers may get a different cover because this was definitely the SOD saying farewell to GL issue. It's a 6 page spread, the Emmy coverage was longer. I'd give it a C- in terms of what they could have done (and have done in the past with other tribute type pieces) but didn't do, maybe they gave SOW most of the room to work with the goodbye?

• Members

In regards to the "tribute" for GL duing the emmys, which to me focused WAY to much on the last year (not a highlight at all) and was only a minute thirty in length when it aired--and done by Michael Fairman. Apparently he did do a 4 minute thing and they cut it down. I'm a little confused on the cut in time and how he didn't know about it before hand.

So he's got the full tribute he did and it's still not that much better. At the point "Otalia", Tammy's death, that damn comic book storyline get more time than Roger it's not a tribute. At least half of the tribute is devoted to the last year of GL-but no blackout, . We get almost 30 seconds of Tammy and Coop's death but 3 seconds of Crazy Annie. No Brent/Marion/Lucy, No Nadine and Bridget, No Jenna...the list goes on and on. And don't get me started on big misses like Sherry Stringfield, Allison Janney, Nia Long, Tay Diggs.

It's a tragedy that the CW only gave GL a couple of mins, but I put just as much blame on Michael Fairman and the production company, who seemed to actually forget GL had 72 years, and a good 65 of them were a hella of a lot better than this last one. It's what happens when "press" drinks the kool aid and is too busy being an EW fangurl to actually do their job.

• Members

why would GL get the cover? Its going off the air for a reason - very few people watch it, im sure even less would buy a magazine because it was on the cover. Its been proven that Days, Y&R, and GH sell. If it were my magazine i sure as hell wouldnt put it on the cover. A goodbye tribute inside? Without a doubt. But no cover.

I love that image of Ali Sweeney they used too.

Eric to Adopt Marcus? Isnt he an adult? WTF.

Nikolas & Liz :wub:

Whats sad is all of these SOUND good to me, but if i were to tune in they will not be that good. No wonder soaps are dying.

• Members

Screw sales. It's ONE week out of the year where they wouldn't put DAYS, Y&R or GH on the cover. Yes SOD is a business and they want to maximize their profits, but they are also supposed to be in the business of thoughtfully covering this medium. Not covering the longest-running show in television history is not only a slap in the face to GL, but a sign of how far the soap media has fallen.

SOD and most of the soap press stopped being relevant years ago by letting the shows dictate what they cover in an effort not to lose money. What they don't realize is that paying lip-service to these shows and the people that run them - instead of reporting on them like other media outlets would - is helping dig their own graves by helping perpetuate the problems facing soaps today.

I could definitely see even non-GL viewers buying this magazine if it was a good enough tribute. Another World got the covers of major magazines when it went off the air 10 years ago and it was the second lowest rated show on the air at the time.

Archived