Return To Peyton Place Discussion Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

After Kathy Glass sued the show for her dyed-blonde hair falling out, I knew she would not be around for long.

Fans of vintage soaps are lucky that so many episodes are available on youtube, but it is true that a lot of material still exists in the hands of private collectors, who hesitate about sharing it.

I used to video-trade all the time, and used rare episodes in my own collection to barter for hard-to-find episodes in other collectors' libraries, but I kept getting ripped off, and the frustration made me stop trading altogether.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I wish I could remember who the final writers of this show were. RTPP was dreadfully written throughout most of its run, but suddenly took off and became very good during its final few months. The ratings rose dramatically too. It's a shame NBC didn't give it another year with those fine, final writers. I believe the show would have become a success.

• Members

I recall reading someone if NBC had given the shoe another six to nine months..it would have continued to grow ratings wise.  W asnt it too slow paced for the early 70s?

It seems like Kathy glass was kind of temperamental and hard to work with..since she had issues on this show, OLTL, and the doctors (less so on this show)

• Members

The soap really dragged in the beginning, and the writing was so lethargic. However, in the last several months, with vastly improved writing and some charismatic new characters, the show took off and the ratings spiked. I was sorry to see RTPP end, but it was sweet that the final scene was with Rodney and Allison reunited.

When her dyed-blonde hair fell out, Glass sued the network, which is never a good idea if you want to stay employed. Susan Brown also had major issues with her dyed hair; she said it burned and ached to the point of being unbearable.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Exactly. It would have been easier. Of course, people have colored their hair for generations without incident, so one never knows who will have an adverse reaction to the procedure, but simply wearing a wig would eliminate any potential for disaster. Dorothy Malone wore a wig on the primetime series, and it looked fabulous.