The Game Show Thread!

bellcurve

• Members

I cringe when I see that promo of Drew Carey doing the Curly shuffle. Come on, that's not what being a game show host is about, especially that show of all things. It also reinforces how cut off he is from the contestants and the game.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I wonder what the f*ck is going on over there. Can someone at CBS not step in and reign Drew in or have a Come to Jesus meeting with him?

He seems so uninterested in the contestants and I can barely understand a word of what he's saying. He's like game show's answer to Victor Newman.

Thank God they finally stopped doing that stupid thing in the showcase where they have the contestants interacting with Rich Fields.

I.E.

Rich: Do you get hungry at 4AM?

Contestant: Yes!

Rich: How about this set of kitchen appliances.

:rolleyes:

FREEmantle and CBS have destroyed this show's core. When the rumors were coming out that there would be a drastic format change(i.e. four contestants, no contestant's row, more "Drew" time, one showcase that two players bid on), I wonder if they were planning on doing that and due to the outrage from the show's rabid, Days-esque fanbase, they backed the hell off? Something is gonna give eventually, especially since the show has all but fallen off the map since The View took off in recent years. I wonder when there will be a dramatic shakeup on that show to try and juice more interest in it?

• Members

I remember John O'Hurley hosting TTTT but not Alex. I enjoyed that show and agree that Paula Poundstone and her vests and ties were annoying. And boy did she get a nasty blip on her permanent record with that stuff about her kids, yipes. :blink: It was weird seeing Meshach so calm, cool, and collected on that show, Designing Women borrowed so heavily from his Hollywood in Mannnequin and turned his ex-con Anthony into Monroe from Too Close for Comfort. I also loved watching a gameshow at that after 5 hour, just as I loved Ray Combs' Family Feud which aired in the evenings too, I guess like Match Game PM. Here, they air The Office after TMZ and The Simpsons, yet I still tune into Wheel if not an half-hour earlier for Jeopardy!. The spontaneity and fun of a non-scripted gameshow can't be beat.

When I was a kid, I used to watch a trivia gameshow early on Saturday (or was it Sunday?) mornings about animals hosted by Alan Thicke and a puppet hedgehog. Alan sung the theme of course.

I think Bob Barker worked so well because he was charming and not at all interested in telling jokes and being funny. As a matter of fact, he'd often get kinda short with contestants who were lollygagging and acting a fool. Rosie O'Donnell was always fun when playing games on her own show, but this is the main reason why I think she would have been bad for TPIR, not enough time and opportunities to focus on herself and her own comedy. And I can only imagine how she would have run with the PSA tag at the end of every episode.

• Members

Wow...that would have been the final nail in the coffin for TPIR. I haven't watched a whole episode in years, but I tuned in for a piece yesterday. How in the world are they squeezing in two pricing games per act? At least that's what it looked like. Instead of going to commercial after the pricing game, they called a new contestant down and bid on a new prize. I turned the channel after that because I couldn't take Drew's lameness anymore.

I remember the Rosie rumors. She wanted to "gay the show up" with a set designed by Lisa Frank and prize models dressed like Chippendale dancers.

I've always advocated the idea of male models though. Two females, two males.

• Members

"Rosie here, saying buh-bye. I wanna remind you that guns are EVIL. You remember that movie, the one I can't say the frikking name of otherwise Les Moonves will sit on my head? Well, let's just say Ristmas Rory -- no offense to Asian people out there! Anyway, this kid put his eye out. That's right, he PUT HIS EYE OUT. And he wanted a gun in school! Bad! Wrong! Lemme introduce you to Angela Agnes and tell you her sad story."

"Um...my son shot his own eye out after he saw Chris..."

"DON'T SAY THAT ON TV!"

"After he saw...Ristmas Rory."

"Yeah. Thanks. See? That's awful. It's not a joke. I know I joke and I make you laugh and ha ha but this is serious. Guns are evil. The NRA can kiss my big Irish butt. See ya tomorrow. Here. HAVE A KOOSHBALL!!!"

• Members

Did anyone see Steve Harvey guest-host Millionaire? He'll be on till Friday.

Although I think he's smooth and very just funny attractive, I don't think his hosting chops work for such a serious show. Although, I cannot wait to see him on Family Feud. I hope he really takes off there.

• Members

This wouldn't be far from the truth. Always with the damn koosh balls.

A game show that calls for 6 celebrities like MG would never work today. In the 70s, MG's pool of celebrities consisted mostly of people who were doing primetime series and other game show personalities. Primetime people haven't gotten the stick up so far up their ass that doing game shows are beneath them, I'm sure. Only a few would participate.

There are so many great formats from the 70s and 80s that could be updated and played today, IMO.

• Members

bellcurve, I did catch an episode of Steve on Millionaire. I thought he was pretty good, but I agree that he wasn't *quite* the right fit for the show's tone, I think Feud is definitely up his alley though.

• Members

I caught SH doing Millionaire today, and I echo yall's sentiment. He was good, but the game's too SSSUUUSSSPEEENNNSSSEEE!!! for him. Too serious, not loose enough. I can't wait to see him do Feud. It can't not work.

I can't get used to him bald though. I grew up watching him on Apollo and then on his sitcom. I miss the hair! But then again, he probably does too...

• Members
Did you see him make the joke to that guy about taking the trip to Japan for $5000? "Just stick with San Francisco!" LOL.

Steve Harvey is gonna totally work on Family Feud! I can't wait. I really hope bringing him in brings up their numbers, especially in urban markets.

Apollo used to run opposite SNL where I grew up and let's say there was alot of channel changing. Amateur Night no one changed the channel.

Archived