The Game Show Thread!

bellcurve

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pyramid/Catch Phrase top contenders to replace ATWT?(per BuzzerBlog):

http://buzzerblog.flashgameshows.com/rumor-pyramid-and-hasbros-catch-phrase-favorites-for-cbs-daytime/

Starting off the day with a pretty interesting and great rumor today. Our sources are telling us that the search for a new show to replace the canceled CBS soap opera As The World Turns is on, and many game shows are being looked at. In fact, looking at the number of games that are up for it it’s looking pretty good that we’ll get a third daytime game show, coming off of last year’s debut of Let’s Make A Deal. Before I list the shows, I just want everyone to clearly know that this obviously isn’t confirmed by anyone and is from our incredibly trustworthy sources. The situation, I’m told, is very fluid and things can change easy. This is just what it’s looking like in the game show department as of right now and what CBS has been presented.

Two of the shows I’m being told are favorites for the daytime slot are a revival of the classic game show Pyramid and an adaptation of the board game Catch Phrase from Hasbro. Pyramid really isn’t a shock. There have been mumblings about it since around the beginning of December, not to mention that Pyramid looked like it was going to be the show to get the green light last year. Catch Phrase isn’t a big shock either. We previously posted that Hasbro trademarked the board game for TV game show rights, so we knew it was coming.

In the “I Called It by Accident,” department, Fremantle is going after CBS with a revival of the 80s favorite Press Your Luck. Don’t get your hopes up, though. As much sense as it makes to me to have Luck be in the mix supposedly there are some “important people in the mix pretty strongly against [Press Your Luck. So it may not survive.” What the objections could be I have no idea, so toss this to the back of your mind. Shockingly another show is yet another board game adaptation. This one is from Sony and Mattel, and it’s Apples to Apples. In the game you basically match nouns to adjectives and hope to score the most points for accuracy and creativity. I’ve got absolutely no clue how this’ll work, but good luck to them.

There are a few other shows CBS has been presented with for a daytime revival. One of them is Password which many saw coming. The show did pretty well for CBS primetime so it makes sense to try to package it into a shorter 30 minute format with an altered budget. The other two are pretty obscure revivals. The first is a revival of the cult 2000’s favorite Dirty Rotten Cheater. Cheater ran on the PAX network for a few weeks and was a really fun, good game show that got stuck on a bad network. On Cheater players had to answer survey questions, trying to find the least popular answer for the most money. The catch is one person knows all the answers and has to try not to get caught. Again, fun little show that got on a bad network. I’m floored to here this is still around and I’m crossing my fingers for this one to do something, but I’m doubting it. The final show is a revival of the 1970’s game show Money Maze which sounds exactly like it’s supposed to. You run around a maze trying to win money. It’s another pretty obscure one and I’ll be a bit stunned to see this go anywhere, much like Cheater. But I’ve been wrong before.

So there we have it. According to our sources Pyramid and Catch Phrase are the favorites, and if I had to place money I’d put it on an established hit like Pyramid over an unestablished show like Catch Phrase, especially when board game adaptations are historically doomed, but either would be fine. Yet again, the situation is very fluid and things can change at any moment so don’t take everything as certainty yet. It’s just great to see so many games being looked at. For now I’m crossing my fingers hard for Pyramid. It really deserves a new chance.

• Members

Oh, PLEASE!!!! Let Pyramid get to air!!! And let it be like the pilot that was shot last year. I was STUNNED to see mention of a possible revival of "The Money Maze" Bellcurve, have you ever seen it? As far as I know there is only one episode still in existence, so you'd have to be a game show trader to have seen it, since I know your'e too young. I was 7 years old when it aired the first time, and I WAS IN LOVE. It was one of the funnest game shows on the air. Women SCREAMING at their husbands trying to direct them through the maze, it was exciting and hilarious at the same time. I'm sure it's a long shot.... but somebody must have had a LONG memory to pull a show like that out of their hat and throw it into the ring. It only aired the first time for 6 months, from December of 74 to July of 75. At least here, it was on opposite Edge Of Night, so I think that may have been part of it's problem. But I haven't seen it since childhood (someone NEEDS to put it up on youtube) so it may not look as good to me as an adult.

• Members

I'll have to look it up. I've never seen it before.

They are also talking that some of these are being developed as half hour games too. So are there going to be two half hour gameshows or an hourlong game show coupled with a half-hour gameshow?

Should be interesting.

• Members

Gawd, just pick up Pyramid. It's a fun game. People watched it in the 70s, then in the 80s, the 90s, there was the so-so Donny Osmond version from a while ago that aired for 2 seasons. It's a time-tested format. Let it see a new decade.

And whhhhhhy not try SPLIT SECOND, which is just...*sigh* it's a damn good game show.

• Members

So I've been on a little game show high the last couple of days, burning up my laptop watching some on YouTube.

What's My Line/To Tell the Truth/I've Got a Secret -- okay, I always watched these here and there on GSN back when they were on during the daytime (or in primetime on Sundays) and liked them, but I've really grown to appreciate them now. Something about the subdued, slow pace of the 70s versions of Line and Truth is just comforting to me. I love Soupy and Arlene on Line and Kitty and Peggy on Truth.

Eye Guess -- watched one of the few episodes of this in existence, and I have to say it's a very simple but fun game. The concept is extremely easy to understand, and they could bring this back, I think.

Three on a Match -- not a full episode, but a sizable chunk of one, and it's a fairly smooth game. Reminds me a little of (I think) the Who What or Where Game.

Password All-Stars -- I'd never seen the 70s Password before, ever, until I decided to sit down and watch the two episodes on YT (the celebrity version's finale and the very last show of the whole series) and I liked it. I can see why the all-celebrity format could be unpopular...the group in this episode (Betty White, Richard Dawson, Hal Linden, Bill Bixby) were all fun, but imagine being stuck with two or three boring celebrities? Yikes.

I love it when I get this little urge in me to watch old game shows. It's easy to forget how obsessed with them I was before I got into soaps, but it's just as easy to remember!

Archived