Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes, I think so. It was either during or after the writers strike when Don Chastain was writing.I guess her contract was up and P&G said goodbye.

Chastain was horrible and really did a number on the show.

79-81 was when P&G got rid of so many vets and older characters.

• Members

Chastain was the one who was going to be written out of the show and then basically became headwriter?

What were some of his other blunders?

GL and ATWT managed to survive their firings (the severe GL firings probably weren't until more around 83-84 anyway), and I guess AW did (I'm not sure of anyone they let go aside from John Randolph -- did they fire Beverly Penberthy or did she want to leave), but it sounds like SFT might have still had a chance if they hadn't been so callous. I'm sure it must have caused the ratings fall the show faced near the end of their CBS run.

Sorry to post all those pictures in a row. There were a few I hadn't seen before so that's why I included them.

• Members

P&G Firings- I'm pretty sure that all of these weren't voluntary.

SFT

Carl Low - Dr Bob Rogers 65-79

Val DuFour - John Wyatt 73-79

Millee Taggart - Janet Collins 71-82

Billi Lou Watt - Ellie Bergman 68-81

EON

Mandel Kramer - Bill Marceau 59-79

GL

Fran Myers - Peggy Scott 65-79

Stefan Schnabel - Steve Jackson 65-81

Barbara Berger- Barbara Norris 71-81

Robert Milli - Adam Thorpe 72-81

Millette Alexander - Sara Thorpe 69-82

Mart Hulswit 69-82 (replace with younger actor)

AW

Michael M Ryan- John Randolph 64-79

Beverly Penberthy- Pat Randolph 67-82

David Bailey - Russ Matthews 79-82

ATWT

Helen Wagner - Nancy Hughes 56-81 (technically not fired,but P&G didn't try hard to keep her)

John Colenback - Dan Stewart 66-73,76-79

Marie Masters - Susan Stewart 68-73,74-79

Carol Deming - Rita McLaughlin 70-81

Barbara Rodell - Joyce Hughes 74-79 80-81

James Douglas - Grant Colman 74-81

Conard Fowkes - Don Hughes 76-81

Kelly Wood - Mary Ellison 75-81

• Members

Thanks. Would Raven's mother Nadine also be on the list?

I thought that Beverly Penberthy said she wanted to leave but I don't know. From what I've seen I really liked her as Pat.

Some of those firings are such a waste, especially Grant and Joyce on ATWT and Russ on AW. And with AW it ended up with one wave after another of flop new characters and families, until somewhere around 1983 or 1984.

• Members

Yesterday, I was watching SFT first episode...and it is really nice!! The beginning of great stories. I have the first episode thanks to a fan who sent it to me some years ago. The first thing we can see of SFT is the view of Henderson....really nice. My question is ... where does this episode come from? Who could tape it? And I think it is the only soap from the 50s that keep the first episode...maybe CBS gives us a surprise and after the end of ATWT on Sept 17, they show us the first episode of ATWT with Helen Wagner telling " Good Morning, dear..."

• Members

Wow! That must have been a thrill. Did Mary seem nervous? The husband was still alive at this time right? The guy who went on to be the principal on Welcome Back Kotter. How was he? I like the idea of a show's first scene showing the town. Another early scene was Jo comforting Patti after a nightmare wasn't it?

• Members

So the view of Henderson was just some stock footage? Was it a montage of scenes or a picture of Jo's house?

Re Melba Rae (Marge Bergman)

A quote dealing with her death. It seems rather than make a big deal of it, they chose to hardly deal with it onscreen. I find it surprising they took this approach.

"We are going to let the audience assume that her husband is a widower and we will make occasional references to the fact that Marge has passed away",said a spokesman.

Apparently she died on a Wednesday,and appeared on taped episodes that aired Thursday and Friday. On Monday,a eulogy was aired at the end of the following Monday episode. This would have been quite a shock to viewers in those days.

Also, I was reading some synopses from 81 and Dr Bob Rogers is mentioned,so Carl Low did keep appearing after 79.

• Members

That does seem surprising, especially since Marge must have been very popular with viewers. I remember Mary Stuart saying that she and Larry Haines were there at the hospital when she died. Perhaps they didn't want to play the scenes too much onscreen, I don't know.

• Members

Hi!

CarlD2 and Paul, I have added pictures of the first episode in my web page. The problem is that the episode I have is in DVD and I don't know how to transfer the episode in the net, sorry! Anyway, you can see pictures from the first episode that I took from the episode...you can see Henderson, Victor Barron's Company, Vitor, Keith, JoAnne and Patti who were the only actors to appear in this first episode! The first thing you can see is Henderon, and the last image is JoAnne after phoning Victor worried for her husband being late...

My address web:

http://www.angelfire.com/80s/cultsoaps/SFTepisode1.htm

Enjoy!