Search For Tomorrow Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

CBS almost expanded Search for Tomorrow and As the World Turns to 45-minute lengths.  This was prior, of course, to the expanded As the World Turns to an hour.

The plan was for the CBS affiliates to loose the local thirty-minute timeslot in which the stations aired the local news.   Search for Tomorrow would air from 12:00 until 12:45, and As the World Turns would air from 12:45 until 1:30.

Had that been done, neither The Edge of Night nor Search for Tomorrow may have changed networks.

Actress Margaret Whitton appeared on Search for Tomorrow, but I am unsure of the role.  She was also on The Doctors (as Joan Dancy) and on One Life to Live.  She passed away today or yesterday.

• Members

It seems like a number of those in charge did (as I think Ann Marcus did as well), although P&G must not have had a problem with her as I'm sure they would have been happy to force her out if they did, given their treatment of other longstanding vets. 

• Members

Yes, Stuart was lucky that P&G seemed to have her back, or at least understand her character's importance to the show. Stuart was vocal in her criticism of Marcus' material (which is ironic, because I personally think it was the best soap writing of Marcus' career, and made SFT's ratings soar), so I can understand if Marcus did not care for the actress, but there has never been any clues given about why Doris Hursely came into the show gunning for Stuart and wanting to demean her and get her fired. It was REALLY STUPID to kill of Jo's son, Duncan Eric. The storyline did not lead anywhere, had no longterm ramifications, and robbed the series of a legacy character who could have kept Jo's family front and center over the decades. Another stupid decision was to have Stu's and Marge's son Jimmy simply disappear for NINE YEARS, and return after such a long hiatus as their nephew. 

• Members

I believe Eunice's death was after Marcus had left. Stuart thought that Marcus concentrated too much on violence and action plots, with a lot of new characters, and glossed over opportunities to use Jo effectively. I think Stuart felt Marcus was marginalizing her.

I agree that Jo's reaction to her husband Tony's death was minimized and not dealt with fully, and I also agree that some of the "action" could have been toned down, but the show moved like a bullet at the time, and was quite watchable. 

• Members

Stuart did not think she had chemistry with actor George Gaines (a recast Sam Reynolds), and worked to make sure that her character not end up being tied to him. In 1976 (I think) there was another actor named Paul Dumont whom Stuart did not have any chemistry with (he was tedious), who came and went pretty quickly.

Edited by vetsoapfan