Y&R: Potpourri Thread 2

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why should it be "haters" edition? It's pretty much to discuss everything outside general episode discussion. Soon we'll have "positive potpourri," "negative potpourri," "medium potpourri," etc.

• Members

It's amazing how much worse this show gets to me week after week. I feel like with each episode, the show is losing more and more of its identity.

Because it must be said again, Maria Arena Bell, Hogan Sheffer, and Scott Hamner all need to be fired immediately. Their vision for this show goes against its grain and what made it a success in the first place. Y&R, even during its down times, used to be one of the most consistently written shows on television, period. That is no longer the case.

I just want a writer who can stay true to this show's roots and be contemporary at the same time. IMO, this doesn't apply to any of the hacks currently destroying this once great daytime institution.

I really loved the Meg Bennett idea. IMO, she'd be the perfect mixture for a show like Y&R and what the show could use. She has experience writing for the show, but as she's shown at other soaps, she can do a variety of stories and her style is hip and contemporary. As a script writer for Y&R during most of the 80's, she was able to write for most of the essential core characters and learn their unique traits, and most of these characters still exist on the canvas to this day.

If daytime is gone in a few years, I'd prefer they'd at least give this show to someone who worked for Bill Bell or understands his vision. Again, if its all going to hell soon and they can't find the perfect storyteller, I think it would be a good conclusion and what Bill Bell would have wanted for his show.

Most seem to think I hate on Y&R just for the fun of it, that is not the case. I just hate to see the show sink to such levels. Y&R is better than what it currently is, and I will not sit back and watch it continue down this road.

• Members

Awesome, this thread has been retitled.

I must say I'm loving everyone's hair these days. A definite improvement (except for Morrow's, Ford's, and Case's, obviously LOL).

And I like Victoria and JT's storyline. For the shallow crap tptb have pulled recently, this seems to have come from a real place to me. And it's not something that's dropped out of the sky or an s/l that's "Poof! JT and Victoria are getting a divorce." Although we never see their marriage and the problems haven't been as prevalent as they should be, it's still such a relief to see two characters act in character, be integrated in other storylines, and move all of these s/ls along.

AH has her limitations, but I couldn't see Heather Tom in this role because she'd flatten Thad in one scene. The marriage wouldn't work if she was cast in this role. So for now, I'm enjoying the prospects of this story and I can't wait to see where it goes.

If Deacon hadn't raped Amber, I would've enjoyed his budding relationship with Victoria too. Then again, she'd become the sucker that, inexplicably, her father is now and the story will undoubtedly lose its credibility when she inevitably falls for the slimebucket. Victoria would never fall for Deacon. JT should be the one who cheats, not Victoria. And if they both cheat, it'd be a real drag.

• Members

The cast is still full of top-notch actors. Some people are mildly irritating but even they are miles ahead of the actors on other soaps.

Some bright spots: Kevin Schmidt. Whenever he's on, which isn't enough, I really enjoy him. I just googled him and was surprised to find he was a chubby fella.

Kevin%20Schmidt-SGG-054274.jpg

It's cool those days are over. I'm sure he feels the same way.

And of course Nina and Chloe. But I like Chance so far, too. That has been a pretty solid casting choice to me. He and Nina have really been a breath of fresh air. It's nice to have people from the real world invade Genoa City this way. Usually when characters invade, they're very flat and one can immediately surmise that they'll serve one, maybe two horrendous and shallow purposes. Nina and Chance have really integrated with cast in a positive way thus far. Sure, Chance is Mac in fatigues but at least he hasn't been as utterly pigeonholed in his relationship with Chloe as hastily as Mac had been with Billy. It's nice to see a new character who's not [!@#$%^&*] crazy.

• Members

I'm waiting for Nikki do "die" in some kind of car crash only for us to find out it was fake Nikki and that the real one is held in a dungeon on an Island that exists out of the normal space/time universe by an evil sorceress who is after the first coin Victor earned. B)

:lol:

• Members

Speaking of a year ago, I just subjected myself to a clip of Raya Meddine from CSI MIAMI and my God was she just intensely horrible. What made it even more surreal was the 2-3 Y&R fans underneath who talked about what a loss to Y&R Sabrina leaving was and that she is sorely missed.... OMG :lol: Queen MAB's gonna see it and bring Sabrina back!

• Members

She's horrible. I don't know who enjoyed seeing Sabrina and Victor weeks after weeks sitting at the ranch and talking French to each other. Did MAB really think we would be excited when Sabrina was buying all of that art stuff for Victor? This is a show (or at least was) about business, but we won't see any business storylines just as long as these writers are here.

Archived