Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

SOAPnet Ready to Break Out

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Errol

Errol

Editor in Chief, Soap Opera Network

• Webmaster
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,473 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:31 PM

Posted Image
SOAPnet Ready to Break Out

(SoapOperaNetwork.com) -- As we entered the 2nd half of 2009 last week and we gear up for a new television season in September on the broadcast networks, you'd think no network would be thinking ahead of the pack and setting its sights on what's ahead in 2010. You'd be wrong.

[Read More]

Discuss article below...

#2 bellcurve

bellcurve

Inactive?

• Members
  • 8,838 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:41 PM

They should swap one of the ABC owned SD soaps with GH. That, to me, makes more sense than pushing their only "pretty" soap to a later timeslot.

They should just go ahead and change the name already.

#3 Carolyn1980

Carolyn1980

Soap Expert

• Members
  • 767 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:56 PM

It occurred to me that with this latest Sony/DAYS-SOAPNet deal, ABC might very well make a play for DAYS again early next year (something they haven't done in 10 years), especially if AMC continues its 18-49 demo drop (or another of ABC's shows).

Heck, they might even try to make a play for Y&R at some point.

Interesting times in soapland.

#4 DRW50

DRW50

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 54,081 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:47 PM

Gilmore Girls? I couldn't even make it through that show the first time around.

None of their "reality" shows seem to have any ties whatsoever to soaps.

#5 Ann_SS

Ann_SS

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:56 PM

The new programming is not my thing, but reality shows are so popular that it may bring in those additional viewers that SoapNet needs. The one thing I don't understand is why show Days at 12:00 p.m. It seems to be doing well unlike GH. It would be better to show Days after the 10:00 p.m. show and GH after Days.

Congrats on the scoop, Errol.

#6 bellcurve

bellcurve

Inactive?

• Members
  • 8,838 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:21 PM

It occurred to me that with this latest Sony/DAYS-SOAPNet deal, ABC might very well make a play for DAYS again early next year (something they haven't done in 10 years), especially if AMC continues its 18-49 demo drop (or another of ABC's shows).

Heck, they might even try to make a play for Y&R at some point.

Interesting times in soapland.

I've been saying THIS for awhile now. I would not be at all surprised if ABC/Disney made a play for Y&R in the near future.

And DAYS on ABC would be great. That's one show that totally needs corporate interference.

Edited by bellcurve, 06 July 2009 - 09:21 PM.

#7 dragonflies

dragonflies

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 25,104 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:24 PM

Days on ABC would be a death knell for it. I can't see fans of whatever soap was cancelled in it's place being too happy. Besides the licensing fees to air it wouldn't be cheap.

Soapnet who? This is a network that's becoming about everything BUT soaps, kind of like MTV, VH-1 etc

#8 baller

baller

Contract

• Members
  • 901 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:56 PM

Makes sense actually. I like that they arn't doing all reality or anything--who knows, the other shows could be good.

I think the play for the 10pm is a smart one--on a selfish level, because I love GH not being the golden child of ABC, and two, with the Jay Leno 10 pm move, and the availability of SoapNet for people, it's a chance to get people tuning in.

OLTL and AMC seems to be doing stronger each month in that evening time slot, glad to see that they see it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users