SOD: All Soaps... [7/14/09]

• Members

The Annual DAYS Cancellation Issue. Heh, I always enjoy Ken Corday interviews.

sod714a.jpg

Cover Story: Ken said he asked the producer and writer to come up with a big story for Bo and Hope for the fall and not one of the regular fluff pieces - they came up with Carly. They called Crystal. He thinks Bo-in-the-middle triangles are more interesting than Hope-in-the-middle triangles, and not because Peter got an Emmy nomination. Chappell brings "a huge audience" from GL. Wally is recurring; he'll be the voice of reason in the Daniel/Philip story. John/Marlena, Patch/Kayla? It was a choice between 3 powerful couples. He tells fans not to do a "price check" - whatever that means (I guess between those actors and the actors coming in) - because it isn't even in the same league. He also tells fans that they can see those peeps at luncheons because "that was then and this is now." He says the most important period EVER of this show will be September - March 2010. Their ratings then will determine if they get another year on NBC. Says they're focusing on the younger people during the summer but they arent going to be driving story by summers end. EJ/Sami/Nicole story will blow up before AZ's maternity leave in December; Bo/Hope/Carly/Daniel, Stephanie/Philip, Melanie/Nathan will play this fall.

LATE-BREAKING NEWS

Kurth Back To DAYS

Judi Evans Joins ATWT

Fairchild On Return To Soaps [b&B]

Y&R's phillip Comes Home

GH's Dominic Is Dante!

Love's First Bloom For AMC's Ryan and Erica

OLTL: Starr And Cole's Wedding - Off!

GL: Jeffrey Dies!

ATWT: Carly's Wedding Day Disaster

HOT PLOTS PREVIEW

OLTL: Rex and Gigi Make Love

GH: Ethan Threatens Rebecca

GL: Edmund Knows About Henry

Y&R: Victor Is Onto Mary Jane

EDITORS' CHOICE: Goodnight, Gracie, DAYS

PERFORMER OF THE WEEK: Eileen Davidson [Ashley, Y&R]

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think DAYS has to worry about being canceled next year.

NBC's fourth hour of the TODAY show does much worse than DAYS (although it is a lot cheaper).

I think even if DAYS' ratings start to go down again, they will just cut more costs (Bo/Hope) to get the licensing fee down far enough for NBC to pick it up again.

I'd say after a 2-year pick-up in 2010 (through 2012), THEN DAYS might have reason to worry by the end of that contract.

• Members

The economy is killing primetime, and NBC is at bottom almost across the board. So I'm not sure, actually, how affordable Days is at this level of performance.

That said, I love the narrative of "comeback kid". I love the idea that DOOL cheated death, rose back up to #2 in households (not yet) and #1 or #2 in the demographic. I really, really hope that happens. For me, that's like the first green weed that sprouts in the forest after a fire. It is hope for renewal.

• Members

Not true, it comes to bottom line. NBC pays a fee to air Days, not its entire production like it does Today.

The fourth hour of Today may be cheap to produce for NBC however they also dont bring in the revenue Days does. It comes down to how much revenue vs how much costs vs long term plan for NBC at this point.

its a 50/50 shot. It could go either way.

If it does get the ax i just hope they go out well, its obvious GL and ATWT will not.

EXACTLY.

I met to save the site, but i was on my pohone and didnt., But there was an article talking about the lack of revenue the 4th hour of today brings in because they have to sell the ad time at such a low level. Today show's 4th hour is mostly breaking even, according this article, but struggling to do so. Days may coast more, but it also brings in more.

• Members

Interesting DAYS article. I might have to read that.

Glad to hear Starr and Cole's wedding is off... too young to get married...

I knew Dominic was Dante.. I just wonder if Claudia knows that.

• Members

Putting Bo, Hope, and Carly front and center is the one saving grace they can give its longtime fans.

That being said... Melanie and Nathan? Haven't TPTB at DAYS realized yet that Melanie is in the same league as Willow, Touch the Sky, Tinda Lau chick... people just don't care? And aren't there 1 or 2 new girls hanging out with not-Ethan Brady Black? Oy, there's just so many newbies on this show. I'll check back in on the Salem folks in September. In the meantime, I still haven't watched DAYS on any type of regular basis since sometime in April. :::sigh::: And I don't miss it.

• Members

omg Carly is going to be involved with Daniel??? and i like how he says that the younger kids are focused in the summer but not in the fall then he says in the fall its Bo/Hope/Carly/Daniel and Melanie/Nathan and Steph/Phillip yawn arnt the last 4 the young kids..

• Members

Don't let Kathie Lee kill DAYS!

Perhaps that should be their ad campaign. Show the SNL impression of Kathie Lee, then show some good DAYS clip.

(apologies to Kathie Lee fans, I know she's not that bad...I'd take her over Matt Lauer these days)

Archived