Welcome! Please take a second to register.

Photo

'OLTL' Star Fired for Not Being 'Gay Friendly'

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Scotty

Scotty

...because we only have 'One Life to Live'

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,636 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:46 PM

'OLTL' Start Fired for Not Being 'Gay Friendly'

(SoapOperaNetwork.com) -- Patricia Mauceri, who has portrayed Carlotta Vega on "One Life to Live" since 1995, has been fired from the show for what is said to be her refusal to participate in the soap's upcoming gay storyline.

[Read More]

Discuss article below...

#2 SteveFrame

SteveFrame

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 6,616 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:02 PM

I get an error saying the story can not be found.

#3 Scotty

Scotty

...because we only have 'One Life to Live'

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,636 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:07 PM

I get an error saying the story can not be found.

Now try it. ;)

#4 evermore

evermore

Recurring

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:37 PM

How disappointing! I always liked Patrice as Carlotta. Good riddance to her

#5 operagirl1

operagirl1

Recurring

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:34 AM

I find this very hard to believe. Patricia Mauceri appeared in a very gay-themed-positive film with Tuc Watkins and Alexis Arquette about 12 years ago called "I Think I Do." What happened between then and now to completely change her? This doesn't make sense.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0125209/

#6 sungrey

sungrey

Longing for a return to the old DAYS.

• Members
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:43 AM

Ron, I've always loved your writing, but couldn't someone have rewritten the script on your staff? This is bull. I know people will say Patricia's an actor and she's playing a character, but sometimes the two clash. I always think about AW when Beverly Penberthy's Pat character was supposed to urge her daughter to have an abortion. Beverly didn't want to play the story as written because of her background, so they simply rewrote the scene to say Pat found out about the abortion after it happened.

#7 Ann_SS

Ann_SS

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:03 AM

I find this very hard to believe. Patricia Mauceri appeared in a very gay-themed-positive film with Tuc Watkins and Alexis Arquette about 12 years ago called "I Think I Do." What happened between then and now to completely change her? This doesn't make sense.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0125209/

I thought about her role in that movie when I heard this story which is why the given reason for her firing does not ring true. Of course, the ranting and raving against the actress has already started, but I am going to wait to see what unfolds.

#8 ChitHappens

ChitHappens

Lifetimer

• Members
  • 10,153 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:32 AM

I agree with Patricia and understand where she is coming from. First off, if Patricia is against homesexuality, it is her right. However, that is not what she is saying. I, too, don't think Carlotta, considering her background, would be so accepting of a gay relationship. That is not who she is and so untrue to the character.

And the biggest problem is that the hacks ALL OVER DAYTIME want to believe that a gay storyline will "save" their show. Stupid Asses, I'm pretty sure gay people want good solid stories told by good actors as well. Morons!

ANDREA

#9 asa

asa

Recurring

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:51 PM

I don't know if I agree that someone has the 'right' to be homophobic--but it's a choice as sad and unfortunate as it is. It is, however, legal grounds for termination. It's if your co-worker is racist and refuses to work with someone of a different race because of it--they'd likely be fired for insubordination and causing a negative work atmosphere.

It's not as if Carlotta was integral to OLTL in any way. In fact, I wish this would signal the end of the Vega family--at this point and time, they don't fit in Llanview at all.

#10 FrenchFan

FrenchFan

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:21 PM

Mauceri would have been stupid to think she would have more than two minutes of airtime with this storyline because her character is nothing but a day player today. For me, the problem is not homophobia. My opinion is that she thought it was ridiculous for her character to be involved for this storyline and I think she is right. It is just the same with Chris Engen on Y&R. He left because he did not want a gay kiss? Maybe more because of the turn of the storyline. Mauceri clearly did not think she would be fired for that. It's not as if Carlotta was front-center. OLTL could have done otherwise. Firing her is a way to show how gay-friendly they are. If it was really the case, Rex would have been made gay in 2002. They would not have waited the "success" of ATWT's Nuke to develop a same-sex relationship with characters not really integrated into the canvas. That's my point. I'm sad to lose a vet actress because of this plot-driven thing.

#11 YurSoakinginit

YurSoakinginit

Contract

• Members
  • 751 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:57 PM

Firing her is a way to show how gay-friendly they are.

If there weren't an objection on her part over gay content, then that wouldn't make any sense. (Unless we're to believe that TPTB entirely fabricated a "gay" backstage story to wreck Mauceri for no reason at all!)

Is it a given now that Mauceri DOES have issues with it? And in that case, are we saying that it's okay if she does? And if we are saying it's so perfectly fine, is it because of that horrible gay agenda I read about in the Spoiler thread? The one about being intolerant of intolerance?

I'm being rhetorical, of course, to make my point.

I don't know what Mauceri did, for certain. I'm putting that aside for now. But I think we need to stop effectively (even via innuendo - as I feel the quote I used falls under) BLAMING gay people for anyone's rejection of intolerance. Intolerance of any kind, including anti-gay, SHOULD be SOUNDLY rejected.

Edited by YurSoakinginit, 30 June 2009 - 05:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users