Y&R: Shocking Role Recast

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Daytime Confidential:

Wishful Casting Y&R's Adam Newman: Brian Presley or Jon Prescott

Submitted by Jamey Giddens on May 21, 2009 - 7:56am

No need to let one actor's reported homophobia on the set of The Young and the Restless stop the show. Since TPTB are said to be planning to recast the role of Adam Newman after Chris Engen allegedly bolted rather than kiss Yani Gellman (Rafe), I figured I would attempt to help the busy execs out.

Reported homophobia???

Everyone is a soap analyst-soap activist these days...

• Members

Nelson posted in the comments section on DC that Engen is 100% gone. On Tuesday his agents informed the Y&R execs that he WILL NOT return. Nelson said it's just his speculation that he'll return because what are the chances he can afford to buy out his contract? But I think Y&R will just sue him for breach, recast and move on. Honestly, this is very shocking to me in this day and age. As manipulative as Adam has become, I highly doubt he's going to be written as gay. This is probably just another manipulation to build an allie in Rafe. I personally love how they're writing Adam as a villian. I don't think he's gone too overboard where he can't be redeemed. He's unique and a total throwback to the late 80s/early 90s Y&R thinking villians. I'll miss the chemistry with Eilleen Davidson, Amelia Heinle, Eric Braeden and especially Vail Bloom.

• Members

:lol::lol::lol: . Good one!

QUOTE (Chris B @ May 21 2009, 11:59 AM)
But I think Y&R will just sue him for breach, recast and move on. Honestly, this is very shocking to me in this day and age. As manipulative as Adam has become, I highly doubt he's going to be written as gay. This is probably just another manipulation to build an allie in Rafe. I personally love how they're writing Adam as a villian. I don't think he's gone too overboard where he can't be redeemed. He's unique and a total throwback to the late 80s/early 90s Y&R thinking villians. I'll miss the chemistry with Eilleen Davidson, Amelia Heinle, Eric Braeden and especially Vail Bloom.

Yes. If Engen really walked, and this is really the reason, he is so short-sighted.

That is my point...a young actor who wants a viable long-term career just doesn't do this. This isn't a smart principled stand, I don't think. I don't care what his reasons are. If he felt he was being written into a corner, he should have let that happen and then been killed off or sent to jail. That would have been a faster/safer way out of his role than the route he is allegedly taking.

It does open up interesting recast opportunities. I can't wait to see where they go with that.

This is why it is GREAT that ATWT/Nuke took this heat! They did all the heavy lifting. Not a peep arose out of Otalia. Not a peep arose when Rafe was announced as gay.

The battle has been fought and it is over. The activism was last year. Now Y&R can just tell a cool story without worrying too much about the political sh!t.

• Members

Too bad ATWT can't drop Nuke and move on to a real love story, but that is neither here nor there.

I'm with the people who say just wait and see. Nelson ain't reliable, and neither is DC. Even if they got the gist of it right, there can still be inaccuracies in major details. I don't want to throw mud on Engen until I know for sure what's going on, and until I get something from a source that isn't third party, I'm not passing judgment either way.

• Members

What the hell dude...

What HEAT did Nuke take? Other than having two dudes kiss? It's not like we actually saw them in bed. "I'm so glad we waited."? Whatever! That's not heat, that's leftovers on thaw in the microwave.

No peep arose out of Otalia, because no one gives a crap about GL.

And who's to say the activists won't be outraged by "straight" Adam using Rafe to get what he wants from him and Rafe being gullible enough to fall for it? Yes, it's a classic soap story, but gay fans were pissed when Daniel Coulson was OLTL's killer because he was comming murder to cover up what he thought were his sins. Then, there's Bianca's male flirtations(Gabriel, Zarf), and everything else.

Nuke didn't do S#IT for gays in daytime, except put the cause back about two or three decades.

• Members

:lol: We can disagree, right?

I really feel like Reverend Wildmon and his group tried to cower CBS with their actions. They failed.

So they're not gonna start up again with Y&R. They've lost the battle.

The only kind of battle that works with this kind of thing is an economic battle...scaring the advertisers.

Since CBS didn't blink with Nuke...I think they'll be left alone with Adam. I don't care if it is a "non-positive" portrayal. Honestly, there was some truth in Daniel Colson. We want the rainbow of people playing a rainbow of people. Just shiny-happy-gays is...nauseating.

I'd actually be happier if Adam was a not-gay user, exploiting Rafe's attraction. Engen should have played disgust in the kissing scenes. That would clearly show the audience that Adam was just using Rafe.

--

ETA: Do you WANT to see gay sex on daytime? Not me. I'm totally content with the more subtle kind of stuff Nuke does. The main audience for soaps is still not one that can stomach a whole lot of gay stuff. So, it needs to be done very gently.

Archived