Another World

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Got it.  Thank you.  Interesting that JFP supposedly contacted her about appearing on AW after GL.  Another World, while one of my fave soaps, is a show I could never see Marcy fitting into.

IMO, after AMC (which she should have left earlier, if she wanted to continue her career), I think she would have made a fantastic Samantha re-cast on ATWT.  I could also see her on Y&R as Ashley (the Brenda Epperson version of Ashley).

• Members

OMG - I'm in October of 1988 - thank GOD LeMay gets fired soon!!!!  All this talk (over and over and over with EVERY character) about what Janice and Mitch and Rachel did almost a decade ago....I'm BORED.  LeMay's obsession with fixing a storyline he created a decade ago is killing this show worse than the writers strike!  I can't imagine what I must have been thinking as a teenager watching this. The audience had moved on at this point - Felicia, Jamie, Donna, Michael, Lisa, Vince, Mary, Vicky/Marley, Jake - this is the new AW, Lemay. Either write for these people or move on (fortunately, he moves on)

• Members

Adrnyc, I understand how you would feel as a new viewer to the show now or at that time but, AW ratings increased during this short stint and probably helped the show continue the more years it did till it finally died.  Also, it were the case, that Harding Lemay was yawn to the show then NBC or P and G would have never considered bringing back the writer.  They were so desperate and I think close to cancellation at this time as well.  Harding Lemay kept the show at #1 and 2 for 8 years.  AW was also a show about characters and not sci fi or the unbelievable .  They did experience with some real stupid stuff in the middle 80's and of course again the late 90's because they had to compete with other soaps doing the same junk.  If you knew the shows history and the characters, then you would think differently.  Most of the subscribers to this thread are all old time viewers who like to see and talk about back in the day when it was a great soap.  

I liked that history was being mentioned.With the high turnover this was something AW seldom did. I liked a teenaged Matthew finding out the epic events that lead to his birth. I think Janice was mentioned so much because they were foreshadowing Evan being Janice's son. I did find Harding Lemay's second boring. But to be fair he was only there such a short time. I would've preferred they kept Lemay and partnered him with Swajeski.

• Members

I hear what you're saying. AW, like ATWT, has fans for all the different decades.  My problem isn't that it's going back to the past, my problem is that it's going back to the past EVERY DAY. The same story. Matthew has to tell Josie and Rachel has to tell Amanda and Mitch has to tell Felicia and Mitch has to tell Sam and Felicia has to tell Lisa and Sam has to tell Amanda. And it's just the same freaking story. That's what I mean by the audience being bored. It's been days of telling that same story. LOL Please, can something else happen in this town!

• Members

I meant to mention that originally.  Lemay wrote the character Evan into the show with the intent of him being Janice's son.  Maybe the storyline was overkill but it was intended to bring in later stories and possibly some of them scrapped since he was gone just a month later.  

You are correct.  The clashed big time over storylines and Lemay was not fired, he quit

• Members

I guess Lemay was used to writing those lengthy verbose scenes that had worked for him in the 70's and was either unwilling or uncertain about adapting to the pace expected by the late 80's with the shorter more heavily edited scenes.

Maybe in time he would have adapted, or perhaps he felt they interfered with the intent and mood he was going for.

• Members

Interesting to hear that LeMay was going to make Evan turn out to be Janice's son - that helps make the past few weeks make a little more sense.  I'm glad to know the this will pass quickly - and at least he brought his greatest creation, Iris, back to Bay City. I will always be thankful for that.  And yes, it's true that the long verbose scenes, with people simply re-stating (in great detail) what another character was told the day before, worked better in the 70's (I loved that about the '79 ATWT episodes) but it is very jarring in these '88 episodes.  As for whether or not he would have adapted his writing over time.....I only worked with Pete for a few months on one of his plays here in NYC, but I would say that I found him to be quite unadaptable. To anything.