Another World

• Members

As you know, the Bauers, as in most soap characters in the past, have been rapidly aged before their time. Mike was too old to be the son of Bill and Bert, but Bill's sister, Meta, married a much older man, Dr. Bruce Banning, who was old enough to have a son Mike Bauer's age. Getting back to AW, John was in a car accident that left him temporarily paralyzed. Since he couldn't perform at his usual level as a lawyer and a husband, Mike Bauer was brought in to help with John's caseload and to get involved with both Pat and Lee. I just threw the pregnancy and paternity as a what if to preserve the soap's longevity.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I still miss this show every day.

I've always wondered what Vicky Wyndham's thoughts were on the last few eps of the show that she was on for so long. Rachel having to "dance for the gorilla" to help Cass get away, etc., instead of focusing on Rachel and her family. Has she ever said anything publicly?

We've all commented on the end of the show and I realize that there wasn't any time to write a proper ending that it deserved but still....the last episode should have focused on Rachel and involved flashbacks including Mac and Ada. 

• Members

The gorilla "caper" was a throwback to the summer of 1984 when Felicia, Cass, and Cecile met Wallingford.  Felicia and Wally got stuck in a gorilla cage investigating the murder of David Thatcher.  The gorilla, Carolyn, was named after AW writer Carolyn Culliton.  She had a crush on Cass, and her mate, Richard did not like it.  Richard was named after longtime AW writer Richard Culliton.  The zookeeper was named after another AW writer Sam Radcliffe, who had died a few years earlier.  They could have condensed some of the gorilla "caper" and had the last episode be a series of flashbacks like Victoria Wyndham's 25th Anniversary episode in 1997.  All and all it could have been better, but I will cut the show some slack given the short amount of time it had to wrap-up.   On AW, all the characters got to say good-bye to the fans as their characters wished Cass and  Lila well at the wedding through the video camera.

At least AW did not suffer the "Peapack" experiment that GL suffered in its last year.  AW still had outstanding production values in its last episode.  Also, AW had 6 weeks to wrap up the show.  ATWT was given 9 months to wrap up and basically ignored its history.  AW tried to wrap-up and incorporate some history into its last episode.   At least Victoria Wyndham got the last scene and made the most out of it- especially when she stopped to kiss the photo of  Constance Ford's Ada.  Eileen Fulton ATWT's Lisa was treated like a day player in the last episode- a disgrace considering her importance to the history of ATWT.  ATWT also blew a great opportunity with the passing of Helen Wagner's Nancy to incorporate history/flashbacks into those last episodes.

• Members

Yeah, I understood the history that they were using and even Sam Groom (Ex-Russ) as the minister for the ceremony but I just can't help wondering if Vicky Wyndham read the last scripts and was thinking: this? We're going out after 35 years like this? A gorilla kidnapping? haha.

I did enjoy the cast leaving messages to the audience via the guise of leaving them as well wishes for Cass and Lila. It was a nice touch along with Rachel's last scene. I was never a fan of the Rachel/Carl pairing so showing her walking off hand-in-hand with Carl was disappointing for me...but that's just my opinion. Never bought into Rachel accepting the man whom tried to kill Mac (more than once?) and once held her captive as the new love of her life. 

• Members

The September 5, 1988 episode aired the week before Harding Lemay returned as headwriter on September 12, 1988.  Lemay would remain headwriter until mid-November.   Under his pen, the show was much improved, including the return  of Iris to the show.

• Members

I was watching some scenes between William Gray Espy and Matt Crane and it struck how much Matt looks like he could have played the son of Espy's version of Snapper Foster and Trish Stewart's version of Chris Brooks on Y&R. I know Snapper & Chris had a daughter, but they could always write in they had a son as well. 

c19e55001c1b22b62403bd0aaec0b879.jpg Image result for william gray espy and trish stewart

• Members

Laura Beatty as Clarice Mar 23, 24 1981

Laura Beatty as Clarice Ewing

Sofia Landon Geier as Donna Love, December 12, 1990 - January 22, 1991, and September 16, 1993

Sofia Landon Geier as Donna Love

Michael Angarano as Steven Frame, February 25 and 27, 1998

Michael Angarano as Steven Frame

Thomas Gibson as Sam Fowler, May 21, 1990 - June 19, 1990

ffuu59.jpg

Jerry Lanning as Russ Matthews, June 26, 27, and 28, 1989

ffat133.jpg

Jimmy McQuaid as Steven Frame, April 23, 1998

Jimmy McQuaid as Steven Frame

Peg Murray as Ada Hobson, January 13, 1983 - February 2, 1983

ffas77.jpg

Julie Nathanson as Maggie Cory, September - October 1996