Another World

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That's absurd. Michael Malone is full of sh-t for saying that.

How was she 'too old' to come back when Iris and Rachel were the same age? Plus, there were still tons of characters in that age group still on the canvas. Rachel, Carl, Cass, Felicia, Michael, Donna, Sharlene (to a lesser extent).... Iris would've still fit well onto the canvas. As long as Rachel and one of her rivaling sisters (typically, Paulina, who was on the show in a dud story) was there, Iris would've had tons to do. Iris never really needed a viable male interest b/c she was better on her own and causing ruckus at Cory Publishing. But seeing as Cory Publishing was basically factored out the show come 96/97, I guess I would make sense not to bring her back....<_<

That aside, I can't believe I didn't remember Marshall being more prominent on the show and his romance with Felicia. Sucks his romance w/ Felicia would be scrapped thanks to racist idiots not being able to handle an interracial relationship.

Edited by Nothin'ButAttitude

• Members

Most of those characters were also being phased out by the time of the interview (1997). I think P&G or NBC had a "younger" mandate.

Even in 1998 Cory Publishing was a part of the story (brought back for Carl's exit), so the potential was there. 

They really did treat Marshall poorly. Poor Randy Brooks.

• Members

The Marshall/Felicia story was shut down pretty quickly and Marshall recast with a lot less appealing actor.

It's a pity that often shows back out of these types of stories.AW had little to lose.The ratings were already low and maybe a well written well acted interracial story might have worked,bringing the show some attention.

I think Carmen Duncan was fired.As stated there were already a number of 'older' actresses on the canvas and after 6 years Duncan's salary might have put more of a strain on the shrinking budget than some 18 yr old newbie.

• Members

They sure did. From watching these clips, it reminded me what little I remember of Felicia/Marshall, but I enjoyed them. Linda and Randy truly had chemistry. 

Yeah but the people they brought on exchange for Carmen Duncan (Gibbs, Barbara, Bolger) we could've did w/o. Yeah, I liked Gabe and Gary but I could've did w/o them over Iris. 

(re: Marshall/Felicia) They might as well committed to it. OLTL, which aired in many markets opposite AW at the time, had Hank/Nora, who were exes but still interacted and had chemistry. They might as well had pulled the trigger. I thought it was compelling to see Felicia fall for her boss and someone who was pushing in her writing career. Marshall also meshed in well with the Frankie/Cass/Felicia faction. 

More clips (SN: I hate how they made Grant go from being the manipulative, playboy politician to a megalomaniac. Having him kill Ryan set all that into motion):

• Members

Rare episodes of AW from its golden period, 1964 to 1974. Bits and pieces of this material has been on the internet before, but (to my knowledge) not in such a complete form. This is my favorite decade of my favorite show, so woohoo!

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

This is fantastic! Let's hope people keep sharing these rarities.

Was impressed with the Walter/Lenore nuptuals.The overhead camera work,the church set and the number of extras ould put most of the current soaps to shame.

Also noted in the Nov 64 that Ernest Gregory was already in the cast. I thought the Gregory's were a James Lipton creation,which in essence they were,but he took an Irna Phillips character and built a family around him.

• Members

More clips of Another World from the 90s. A lot of these clips reminded me why I loathed Joe Carlino and grew to hate Paulina as a character. He was such a big oaf and she was a pod person of her old self. I did enjoy the one scene though when Michael and John both sock the crap out of Joe. 

Also, the writers didn't know what the hell to do with a vibrant character like Cecile. Knowing what I know now, I understand why old school AW fans were appalled by the Maggie paternity rewrite. Especially, when it was a huge arc for Jamie, Cecile, and Sandy. Was Cass even on the show then when Maggie was conceived? 

I also get why people were pissed that Matt and Donna were blown to hell too. Matt Crane and Anna Stuart had phenom chemistry. I get that they needed Kale Browne (Michael) to interact with Donna but there was no need to end Matt and Donna. 

I did enjoy reliving Gabe/Lorna's many love scenes. Bolger and Christopher were HOT and I loved the pairing. 

There are some missing vids I didn't add b/c YouTube cut the sound of them. I am guessing b/c they have songs in various montages that are copyrighted. 

• Members

All of the stuff posted to YouTube has been spectacular. I'm especially loving the 1979 AW with Mac and Rachel constantly fighting. God, that was such good television to watch.

And the St. Croix stuff is posted. Look for a thread called Another World March 14-17, 1980. That was a great climax to the Mac/Rachel/Mitch/Janice story.