Another World

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I like that the Steve/Alice/Rachel triangle was a slow build up that didn't come out of left field.  I do think with people wanting things quicker, that a 2 year build up won't cut it... but I certainly think you can cover your bases and move things along a nice, brisk pace..imho

Also, there are a lot of videos on youtube from 1984 and 1985 during Alice's brief return to the show.. and I think she fit in quite well, the problem was that there were a lot of women in her age group on the show at the time (Felicia, Quinn, Donna, Rachel) that there wasn't much room for Alice on the show... though I did like the tension shown in some scenes between Donna and Alice.  Shame Alice wasn't given a stronger love interest during her brief return.

• Members

OMG, I plan to dive into that Steven/Rachel/Alice stuff with glee! :D 

LOL A lot of fans nowadays wouldn't even tolerate two months, let alone 2 years. For all the complaints about things moving too fast, they also don't like when things move slow! If only there could be some middle ground, lol

Edited by YRBB

• Members

The Alice/Steven/Rachel triangle lasted an impressive seven years (1968-75) and remained consistently enthralling, regardless of even Harding Lemay's opinion that it was already an "overextended romance" by the time he took over as headwriter in 1971.

The best thing about this saga was that viewers did not only want to wait and see what WOULD happen, we enjoyed seeing what DID happen, on a day-ti-day basis. Agnes Nixon and Lemay both knew how to play all the beats, milk every confrontation, and so all the chapters of this story were fascinating from beginning to end.

Of course, the fact that Jacqueline Courtney and George Reinholt had strong, obvious chemistry added immensely to the show's appeal during this halcyon period.

This really was the golden era of soaps.

• Members

Those summaries really flesh out the storyline,detailing things like Rachel v the Matthews over the trust fund etc.

One thing that often goes unmentioned is Robert Cenedella's contribution.Although Agnes created the characters of Steve and Rachel and fleshed out Alice as well as setting up the triangle,Cenedella wrote the show from 68 to 71 so most of what has been detailed is his work.I've seen comments that say he was merely working from outlines Agnes left behind but I find it hard to believe that he did not make a major contribution to the success of the story.

Reading over it,I think that with a few tweaks this story could be told today.

• Members

These summaries really do flesh out what occurred during this time. I appreciate them b/c it actually give me in-depth insight to how heinous and a hoot Rachel was at this time. But she was sure as hell crafty too. Reading that she (and her lawyer) figured out a way to keep Jamie's trust fund that Jim and Mary established after they tried to imply it was created under fraudulent pretenses was genius. 

And how scandalous Rachel was during this time period in her acts, must've been a joy but shocking to TV viewers. No wonder why she hated by so many fans. But that's when you applaud Irna, Agnes, Robert, and Harding for daring to take a chance and tell such shocking stories in a time where society was still heavily conservative. Soaps now have regressed in storytelling instead of breaking down barriers like they used too. 

• Members

I think that Robert Cenadella was wonderful and that he is one of the great underrated writing talents of soap opera.   I did not view his work on Another World, but his Somerset was brilliant (in my opinion - although there was too much crossover for my taste).