Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I aways felt that they purposely underwrote for JC's Alice both times she returned in order to use her for a prop to VW's Rachel, so they could say "look, we made the right choice about who to keep all those years ago!" The fact that she didn't have any scenes with ghost-Steve during the anniversary epidodes, unlike Rachel and Jamie, was very telling.

• Members

I heard that NBC kept videotapes and film in a warehouse that was later destroyed by fire. Most of the game shows, much of the Tonight Show, and some of the primetime shows (such as Mr. Peepers) were all destroyed. What was there was probably also destroyed.

• Members

I agree. I think they deliberately went with less charismatic, though arguably better, actresses after Courtney, so that the show could be a centerpiece for Wyndham. I think Harney, etc, were more supporting-type actresses who couldn't have carried the show the way Courtney had. Watching some early 80s eps on YT lately, I have new respect for Vana Tribbey. I like her in the role a lot, and I'm probably one of the few who liked Linda Borgeson, but again, neither of these ladies had that certain star quality that could compel you to watch.

With Wyndham firmly entrenched as the centerpiece by the late '70s, I wonder how she felt about the ascension of Laura Malone, who clearly was being groomed by Rauch and Lemay to eventually be the new leading lady. Did Wyndham have a big ego. I've heard mixed things.

• Members

The constant break-ups and reconciliations with Mac became tedious and eventually ran their course and did nothing to advance their characters. It just became the same old, same old plot driven crap. And like with most super couples, the writers weren't able to see them beyond two parts of a whole. They were a package deal. I don't recall them having much in the way of story by the late 80s, except for Paulina's arrival and Iris's return.

• Members

Jacqueline Courtney once revealed in an interview that she had had copies made of many of her most memorable episodes, and a 60-minute highlight compilation of her best work was saved for Emmy consideration in 1974. She made it available for the 50th Anniversary of Soaps telecast. The show could have used material from that, for great flashbacks.

• Members

NBC did not own Another World and did not archive the early black-and-white or color episodes. However, black and white kinescopes were routinely made to air in markets that did not have videotape machines or in markets that chose to air the series out of pattern. Procter and Gamble did syndicate early 70s episodes of some of its soaps, including Another World which was telecast in Australia as early as 1974.