2009 British Soap Awards

Toups

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I'm happy for Barbara Windsor, such a classy woman and she's always EE's biggest cheerleader.

Happy for Gray O'Brien as well.

Craig Gazey is too cute, so adorable and dorky.

And yeah, you know it was a slow year when Doctors wins anything.

I'm not surprised by the Hollyoaks snubs, 2008 wasn't as a great as 2007. They won 8 trophies last year, they were in for some sort of backlash and the show just wasn't up to par last year as it was in the previous year.

• Members

I thought Hollyoaks would win at least 1, so this really surprised me. I guess they just had that buzz last year, possibly helped by Chris Fountain being on an ice skating show, that gave them a temporary boost.

I wish Emmerdale had won more but their demos are not in line with a soap awards show.

I thought it was very telling that Eastenders won no awards for dramatic material. I love the Masoods, separately and together, but they are barely treated as B-list characters by the show. Yet they won, along with ex-Sean Slater, whose best work is from the neck down, while none of the serious stories came up trumps. I feel sorry for the ladies in the roles of Bianca and Whitney, because they were incredible in the Tony storyline. I think they got buried under so many much more hyped stories last year which sort of fizzled out (anything with Tanya, Roxy's baby daddy, Mad May blowing up the house) and may have alienated the judges.

I've seen a few episodes of the Doctors, not the rape story, but I've heard nothing but good things about the story.

• Administrator

The montage was the best part of the awards. I was so underwhelmed by the clips this year. Last year, the clips were so good. I wasn't blown away by most of the stories or performances. The only two that caught my interest were the "falling through the ice" from Emmerdale and the Tony is a pedophile scenes from EastEnders. Hollyoaks' Church explosion definitely should've won over "falling through the ice." I think 3 out of the 4 Best Exit nominess were all the same - someone got hit by a car! Like really, there were no better exits than that in 2008? Oh, I had no problems with Michelle Keegan winning Sexiest Female. :wub: The Best On Screen Partnership winners from EastEnders were hilarious.

Archived