February 16-20, 2009

Toups

• Members

I think if anything gives Ron a co-writer it might be this Todd/Marty/John/Blair story, which has made everyone look horrible and has done a horrible job of showcasing the Frons favorite ME. It's a disgrace that the only time Marty got any interesting material was when her rapist made her fall in love with him. Why did they even bring her back? What are they doing with Todd? Why do they keep trying to push Starr as the teen queen when KA is extremely unsuited for the role?

GH is a horrible show but people know what they're getting. OLTL is a very uneven show, which seems to be reflected in their numbers over the past year.

OLTL is a show which would benefit from having a small child in the writers room, asking "Why?" for every story idea.

Another much more minor problem, but one that bugs me, is when I see some of the soap sites or soap press going on about WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING OLTL? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? THOSE OTHER SOAPS SUCK, AAGGH!!! What is going to happen when someone actually takes this advice and then has to sit through 3-4 days of Gigi, Stacy, and Rex? If those on these soap sites who love OLTL would be a little more balanced in their OLTL pitch, then viewers might be more willing to give OLTL a chance.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think sometimes Carlivati falls victim to his own complex thinking. If they wanted to end the David is a Buch story, they should have come up with some clever way to show that the DNA results were inaccurate and move on from there. But Carlivati rarely just ends something that's unsuccessful and when he does, it's always the wrong thing. Like Dorian just handing BE back over when Nora blackmailed her. RC always wants to segue into his next story. I usually think that's clever, but in this case, leave well enough alone and just end it already. It never made sense to make David a Buchanan in the first place except as a prop for the Jarlie, unclescam, BE takeover stories. If they're not really going to focus on BE anymore, just drop it like it's hot.

I hate this too. They may as well just come out and say what they really mean. If you don't like what I do, what's wrong with you? Are you stewwwwwpid? So insulting to think people can't make up their own minds.

• Members

My problem with the David as a Buch story is that the whole thing has been one Plan B after another. First it was supposed to be Spencer but PC got sick so it stalled, then when PC came back Paul Satterfield was leaving so it became David. But then Tuc was leaving and Jared was coming on so it segued into being the big Jarlie secret (wasting Max's return in the process) and B.E. takeover. Done yet? Oh no, now it's time to play Quantum Leap with 1968. Now Bo is Asa, Nigel is Chuck and Rex is a Cylon! Isn't that funny? Or is it tragic? No it's funny. No it's tragic! Then a priest, a rabbi and a clydesdale walk into a bar...

Of all the things from Higley's era, Ron choose to get rid of, why he would hang on to this one is beyond me.

• Members

The soaps I am still enjoying the most are OLTL, Y&R and AMC. I got back into GH for awhile, but not so much this last week.

I love OLTL right now and don't see the problems that others are seeing.

As far as the David story I don't see why Ron is being criticized for taking this direction with it as it is no different than all the directions that the other Buchanan child story took. One year it is Max, then it isn't, then it is again, and then it turns out to be Ben.

I am enjoying it and love the twists. I like it a whole lot better than it ever being Spencer. As soon as he is forgotten is the best for the show.

• Members

The minute Roxy's beaver literally started talking back to her I knew OLTL was headed back into the crapper. The over emphasis on the wrong characters is tiring and if you aren't a fan of The Quad, Rex, Gigi, and Starr there's really no point for your viewership. David's jokes ceased being funny and I guess him being a Buddhist was only for shits and giggles? Too bad that storyline ceased being funny when the word Namaste was driven into the ground. Was there even a point that storyline? I'm tired of David's shtick and the character should be so much more than those stupid jokes and one liners. And it's already been said, making Starr the long suffering heroine is. NOT. working. KA cannot handle dramatic material, not to mention the blatant attempt to make her look older for Schuyler in a storyline that shouldn't even be happening. Stacey... need I say more?

I do not recognize Todd... at all. He's become redundant, pathetic and irrelevant and it's depressing.

OLTL is starting to become unrecognizable again. I'm actually surprised it got a 2.0.

• Members

I think people expected the story to be different than some of the other paternity stories. I thought the story about Ben was terrible. It went on for years and had no real purpose, aside from showcasing Max at what may have been his most repulsive point as a character. This story happening at the same time as the ludicrous "who is Rae's daughter" story (which encompassed both Kelly and Skye as her possible daughters, even though they're over 10 years apart in age) didn't help, but ultimately the only point of the Asa son story was to showcase JFP's beloved Mark Derwin. Then not much of any story happened between Ben and Asa and Derwin quit a few years later.

The David story hasn't been as bad as the Ben story but it's seemed very rudderless to me. This went on for years and while I know Tuc's comings and goings played a part, they gave him so much filler when he was actually there. The marriage to Addie, the Buddhist storyline. If they were going to have the Buchanans work so hard to keep David from realizing who he was, why didn't they give them more motivation? Their only motivation being Asa threatening to cut them out of his will made them look like money-grubbers, and also look so inept that they suddenly had no money of their own. Their other motivation was "David is evil!" with no real reasons ever given. Clint tried to get a teenage girl taken away by her crime lord uncle and he's talking about evil? Renee the madam is talking about morals? Nigel, who supported Asa in all kinds of criminal activities, is talking about evil? The story makes them look like completely unsympathetic hypocrites, compounded by Clint being so gleeful when they learned Bo was David's father.

Now we're going to get a few days between David and Bo before David goes again. Why didn't they have the reveal weeks ago and then there would be more time to explore their relationship?

There's no real payoff to the storyline.

Archived