February 16-20, 2009

Toups

• Members

Word. The 1.8 being the magic rating number is a rumor and it has not been confirmed, but we do know that CBS wanted drama from GL and shake things up. That's why Philip and Edmund returned, Mindy's coming back in early March, and casting of Michelle Bauer is underway.

Word.

Absolutely love your avatar!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GL has improved its ratings and has stopped the bleeding when it was in much worse shape a few months ago. Stabilizing is a good sign that things are working. When was the last time GL had everyday at 1.7? Its going to be a bit harder for GL to move up since they have horrible timeslots in some markets.

In my mind the quality and roll that GL has been won't show up in the actual ratings for a like a couple of months. The same thing happened to Y&R and DAYS when it took about a month or two for people to finally start watching it again. Don't worry the ratings are guaranteed to be hitting close to the 2 range.

Perfect example Rocket Man. I remember that from NBC when it was a watchable network. LOL!

• Members

Y&R is just on a roll and its been watchable since November and pretty soon Y&R is going to start having a plus sign when it comes to their year to year ratings because March '08 is when the show began their freefall.

AMC seemed to really finally gotten their boost and DAYS has improved immensely in their ratings.

Didn't know the soaps do that well here in Cleveland and in my old hometown of Philadelphia. All the networks seem to be having success with their soaps right now.

That's sort of why I don't think any of the soaps will be ending soon because they are stronger players in lower hut level hours than some of the early morning shows are.

• Members

I don't really care about that #7. Somebody has to be and when the entire genre is healthy and thriving and most are only separated by a couple of points, I don't think it really matters that much. And when they are almost all declining and most are hovering close together at the bottom it becomes a disturbing trend but again, separation by a few points isn't that important. I'm not a fan of Y&R or Days, but I'm delighted that Y&R has climbed back to the 4.0 territory and that Days seems to be recovering. It defies the myth (one I firmly believed for a time)that soaps just can't reclaim viewers and sets the bar higher for the entire genre. I don't revel in OLTL's poor ratings, but my hope is that tptb will see them as an indication that there is a serious problem, and they'll be prompted to take corrective action. The show is horrible at the moment.

Only two years ago, in February 2007 OLTL was ranked 5th with over 3.2 million viewers and a 2.5 rating.

Eight months later in October 2007, OLTL was still ranked 5th, but it hit a new low rating of 2.0 and had lost almost 700,000 viewers.

In May 2008 we were celebrating that OLTL tied GH for 3rd with a 2.2 ranking.

In July 2008 OLTL was ranked 4th with a 2.0.

The fact that OLTL is now 7th at a 2.0 just indicates that soaps are healthier than I thought they could be.

• Members

rhinohide, you're right. It just shows how stronger the genre is this year than it was last year. A 2.0 gets you into 7th place like its supposed to be unlike last year when a 2.0 gets you in 4th. Based on the local affiliate numbers posted by tmotvsoaps we see how soaps are much stronger than other soaps are in certain markets. I used to could easily find negatives about soap ratings almost every week but now its like they've settled in finally after 15 years of free falling.

The reason why there's been so much panic over soaps in the last few years is because soaps have become victims of their own success from the 70s and 80s. So once they dropped people thought that was a bad thing when it was just that the world was changing around them starting in the 90s.

• Members

My opinion is that OLTL is seriously unwatchable at this point. The show has no balance at all. The comedic aspect is too much (and I have supported OLTL's comedic aspects generally). The show seems jumbled with WAY to many characters I could give a s-it less about- and it really appears that there are two many cooks in the kitchen- Frons. As boring as Y&R is, it is consistent and intelligent. You don't sense chaos when you watch it, but confidence.

OLTL is just all over the place, and I am surprised it isn't losing more of AMC's lead in.

and this Schyler/Starr thing is VOMIT INDUCING.

If you aren't a big Gigi/Rex fan stay away from OLTL. It appears that they are being pimped big time.

• Members

I think one of the biggest problems with ABC in general, and OLTL in particular, is that over the years it's cultivated a viewership that is starkly segmented into staunch fanbases. You can't make one segment happy without completely alienating the others. One strength I've noticed from the CBS shows, although I only watch them sporadically, is their fans are generally viewers of the entire show, and if they are faltering in one pairing, character, whatever, their viewers still enjoy other aspects of the show, as long as they are telling good stories. OLTL was developing that kind of following until recently when it reverted to the old formula of featuring John McBain and his wimmins, the teens, and Rex and Gigi, and frankly, they're just not very good stories. If you're not enamoured with those characters, don't bother.

And I also agree with Carl D that Carlivati seriously needs some help in bringing stories to a satisfying conclusion. On another board we were arguing about who the stories are focused on, or who is socalled "driving" story. My comment was it really doesn't matter who is "driving" because it seems the stories never really arrive at a destination, therefore, driving is actually tantamount to sitting behind the wheel of a parked car making "vroom!" sound effects.

• Members

Last weeks increases were helped by a lot of schools having the week off. I know in New England, New York, etc. they were off for their February vacation. And with the exception of Y&R, there was no good bump for that. I hope they can keep at least some of that increase and not all drop too far next week

• Members

You are right Rhinohide- The stories are not GOOD. period. And the stories are not strong enough to pull you in if you are not fans of the actors or characters. For instance, I dislike the Fishers- all of them- on Y&R, but I can sit and watch it. And all 3 of the actors are strong. The performances on OLTL are all over the place- amongst the 30 year and younger set- I am sitting here right now shaking my head at Kristen Alderson's "performance". Sorry, but she should have been recast a LONG time ago. And Marty is now insufferable(big Susan Haskell fan, alot of people aren't). So sick of these triangles involving John too.. Done venting and done with OLTL for a few weeks! Peace!!

• Members

Looks like AMC got a push in the ratings from the wedding and from the aftermath with some new curious viewers checking it out. I'm glad about that only because it was when Eden Riegel gave some brilliant performances and rocked the house during the wedding and break up that week.

However I still think AMC's core base audience is still around 1.9. So I can see the ratings boost not lasting that long in the coming weeks. I think the ratings will probably go back down back to its 1.9 base especially for March sweeps when Pratt will be showcasing some godawful stories with retread stunts.

• Members

I predict Ron will get a co-writer this year and this Bo/Rex/David cluster is going to be the thing that does it. The story has gone on too freaking long, then it morphed into that 1968 mess. I can't imagine what Ron is thinking by going back to that. If he was smart he'd treat it like a bad one night stand: flush the bad drugs that made him do it, find a new dealer and pretend it never happened.

Archived