Best to worst: Opening credits

• Members

Which are your current favorite soap opening credits and which do you like the least?

I think Y&R has the best, and I think GH, AMC and OLTL has the worst because they are soooo incredibly cheesy! Feels like soap-parody. (And they are similiar too). Y&R feels very classy and elegant. I like B&Bs cause it´s upbeat jazzy and works wonderful with the theme of the show (fashion). And Days with the hourglass is a classic that should never be replaced. GLs new is better than the old, but the song keeps repeating itself too much. And ATWT should get a new theme. It´s too boring with a ATWT-sign even though it´s fitting to the show´s title.

1. Y&R

2. B&B

3. Days

4. ATWT

5. GL

6. OLTL

7. GH

8. AMC

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The ABC soap openings are contrived crap that has the stench of corporate micro-management written all over them.

Y&R's opening pisses me off because they refuse to update it. Hell, I could do with a format change too, as long as they keep the classical version of Nadia's Theme.

ATWT, do they even use their full opening anymore? GL's is a pure travesty, and I won't say more.

I think B&B has the best soap opening right now, and at least they're very good with updates. That whole opening is so befitting of the entire show.

DAYS is just DAYS, they've had that format since the beginning, with minor tweaks over the years. I like it.

• Members

1. Y&R (beauty, class, elegance...and that's just the music; the visuals are ridiculously attractive, but please, please bring back MelTScott's orgasm)

2. GL (if you mute it and play I Don't Want to Wait, you'll think you're watching Dawson's Creek, which merits this high ranking)

3. B&B (how befitting that the soap full of hoes has such a pimp theme song)

4. DAYS (it's classic and awesome and everything, but the top 3 still beat it)

5. AMC (the best of the worst)

6. ATWT (because it's more tolerable than the crap below)

7. OLTL (it's like all of the cast was chillaxin in an alley and someone videotaped them dancing)

8. GH (Tony Geary gets up and leaves because he knows it's full of [!@#$%^&*])

• Members

B&B and AMC have the best openings in daytime right now.

GL's looks like something someone threw together in five minutes on Windows Movie Maker.

Y&R's is nice, but needs to be updated.

GH's is seizure inducing, but I still like the idea behind it.

The newer shots in OLTL's Opening look great, but make the older shots seem out of place and tacky.

And It's a shame ATWT doesn't use it's opening anymore, cause that theme song kicked ass! It was the hideous graphics that ruined it.

• Members

B&B actually does. They are quite quick to redo when new actors come and old goes. Just look at how it looks right now - all actors that should be in it are in it. They were quick to remove Phoebe, and quick to add Pamela. And updated Felicia´s picture and removed Stephen & Beth when they went to recurring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL8uBgPYrFg

However, Y&R.... How long has Amber been on the show? She´s still not in the opening. And that´s just an example. Lots of actors are left out. It´s annoying. But it´s still the prettiest opening even though it´s a bit somber.

• Members

Well, since we're talking opening credits, and not taking stabs at the content of other soaps... (right? :P ) ... here's my list, from least to best:

8. GL - The song is like some folk music B-side you never wanted to hear. The visual sequence, well, it just looks effortless... in a bad way.

7. GH - It sounds like an Elephant on PCP... and looks like what the elephant might be seeing.

6. DAYS - It's a classic. And I never liked it. My pre-school day care teacher used to watch DAYS when we were at rest time, and I thought the theme sounded spooky.

5. ATWT - Because I know I've seen it but can't remember a thing about it.

4. OLTL - Its predecessor was much better, both visually and in the sophistication of the music's orchestration (the current version of the theme sounds like it was intended for a revival of ABC's AfterSchool Specials). But its predecessor's predecessor's predecessor was, I think, one of the most memorable openings ever in daytime. If they would only do a modern take on THAT...

3. B&B - I never warmed up to the theme song, though I agree that this version is better than its predecessor. Visually, it's very appropo. (But if anyone want's to bring up "cheesy," let's talk about the Dionne Warwick-crooned version of the theme song they tried to introduce many years ago.... Yikes!)

2. Y&R - Who can complain about the music? It's a classic piece. But I CAN complain about having to see Michelle Stafford haughtily catwalk toward me at the end of every opening! And black & white bores me.

1. AMC - I like this theme music, originally introduced in 1990 (the opening that accompanied it was, to me, AMC's most impressive ever). I even like the modern take on it. I feel its visuals lack sophistication, though... and they smack of ABC branding its soaps into one ball, as if they were menu items from McDonald's (i.e., the McNugget somehow tastes like the Big Mac even though they are completely different items). Like almost every soap opening that features the cast, with every update it has somehow degraded in execution and syncing with the music. Time for someone to start from scratch and clean up that mess.

No opening is perfect. But with a little more effort and attention, they could come close.

• Members

Here is the opening of ATWT for those who have forgotten. Now it is a cheap fade to black with the letters in gold. It isn't used anymore because Goutman and Co. keep firing castmembers so the opening would have to be changed constantly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zBOk1bH_Y8&hl=en&fs=1 type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

• Members

Ah, but that would mean using *real* footage of *real* buildings and *real* houses and *real* streets and sidewalks...and just too much realness for today. If they can't make everything entirely out of CGI, it's not worth the time.

Seriously though. DAYS's hourglass? Was real, is CGI. GH's hospital? Was real, is CGI. AMC's scrapbook? Was real, is CGI. It's the main reason why I can appreciate GL's opening, because it's not too flashy and fake-looking, it's all real, and the lighthouse shot at the end is gorgeous. It just doesn't work for a show that was "big city" throughout most of the 90s and 00s.

Archived