The X-Files: Discussion Thread

bandbfan

• Members

I thought the second episode was much better, albeit fairly light on its story and the characters involved - it was a mix of the existing mythology with a new case that only half-formed. The stuff with Mulder, Scully and their son was great and the direction and editing were top notch. If they keep improving it looks good.

I assume they will tempt GA and DD to do more based on these ratings, but it's a question of how many they can do per year. I know the original plan was to do maybe 8 or 9 episodes, but they curtailed it for their busy schedules. Both have commitments to several other things (Anderson has The Fall and a lot of other TV and theater, Duchovny has that dreadful Aquarius show)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't even believe I'm saying this, but the second episode was even better than the first. I love the mix of mythology with monster-of-the-week, and both Scully and Mulder's fantasies about life with William were heartbreaking stuff. The viewers agreed because 9.7 million of them tuned in, with a 3.2 ratings, crushing all other competition. 

I'd never object to longer episode orders, but Anderson's made it pretty clear they're comfortable with around 6. Even 12 or 13 is too much, according to her, especially for someone used to THE FALL way of doing things. Still, one never knows. The fact that it's even back and we're talking about a season 11 says that pretty much anything is possible.

• Members

All I know is they had originally planned for something like 8 or 9 and cut it down, probably for her. I'll bet they back up a Brinks truck to get another series of it and that might sway her on a number.

I don't think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread and never have, but the show has endeared itself to me a lot more over the last few years on Netflix and there were always episodes I really enjoyed during the original run. I don't think the revival is genius so far but I think it's a lot of fun and it's good to see two actors who work so well together getting back in the groove.

• Members

The first two episodes were good enough to make me wish I could go through the nine seasons, but who has that kind of time on their hands these days? :)

The premise is interesting, and hopefully this prompts FOX to continue in the coming years.

• Members

Dana Walden(?) at FOX was saying they were prepared ahead of the launch to greenlight new episodes now if the production and cast were willing. I think after these numbers they're going to be even more determined to make a deal provided they can get GA and DD to carve out time in their schedules. They also made it clear they wanted to do it with them and not any new regulars.

Clips from Monday's new episode. Play at your own risk.

• Administrator

Tonight's episode was damn good!  I never heard of Rhys Darby before - he was so funny in this role.  The story that Guy Mann tells Mulder was hilarious and brilliant!  And the minor characters like the Psychiatrist, the motel owner, the two stoners at the beginning, and the killer, were all pretty funny.   Fantastic job by writer/director Darin Morgan. 

"I'm not a reptile! That's racist!"  :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Yeah, they've remained pretty consistent on how difficult it is to figure out the schedules, which is why it's certainly not happening in 2017, but bless him for saying 6 episodes is too few. Obviously, I was happy to have any amount, but you can't really get into it deeply with just six episodes. If they could manage 10, or even 12/13 (!!!), that would be great. 

Archived