AW: The Virginia Browne/Paul Rauch Years

YRBB

• Members

I have been watching the 1981 episodes of ANOTHER WORLD and I have been really enjoying the slow pace, the theatrical quality, the great performances. Rauch's production is great, if you get over those constant blunders the actors make but are forced to continue nevertheless, and I think the writing is good. What do you guys think of the Head-Writer? Was it a stint that you liked? Please, though, try to be sensitive with spoilers :lol:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

L virginia Browne did a good job of getting AW back into shape after the 90 min eps,incorporating the Texas spinoff(losing Iris and Dennis in the process) and the decision to focus on the Holloways(Miranda,Kit,Rick,Amy) and other newer characters at the expense of the Frames and Matthews.

She quickly wrote off Amy,Brad,Miranda,Margo,Charlie Hobson and Tracy and introduced Leigh and Denny(Clarice's brothers)and Sandy(Mac's son)She brought back Alice and over the year set up the return of steve frame.

Unfortunately,it was all for nought as she was fired and the horrendous Corinne Jacker came in and completely revamped the show(for the worse)

Paul Rauch was there for all of that and I wonder why he allowed the show to go so far off track.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It appears AW never really recovered after the 90 minute expansion and after Lemay left. It had good periods here and there, but nothing really consistent. It's very telling that Donna Swajeski had the longest HW tenure at this show after Lemay. To this day, I've never seen what was so good about her AW. After watching it again on SoapNet, it just seemed like average run of the mill soap opera to me. While during the same era, sister soaps like ATWT and GL were undergoing renaissance eras in their lives. I guess a lot had to do with NBC's interference.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Let me reiterate that the 90 minutes was not the sole or even prime factor in Another World's downfall. The show's ratings et al were already declining prior to the expansion, but it wasn't until they went back to 60 minutes that the show really tanked, that and the departure of Beverlee McKinsey really hurt the show.

And even that wasn't the only problem. NBC was in the toilet in 1980, which was due to both Supertrain and the Olympics boycott. And even when they (NBCD) recovered, NBC simply undid that by interfering too much. Santa Barbara was especially badly affected by it in its last couple of years.

• 6 years later...

AW was good under Virginia Browne if uneven. The Rachel/Mitch/Mac triangle was really good as was the introduction of Sandy. Even though Virginia Browne got rid of a lot of boring characters. There was still plenty that she kept. AW did have some strong complex characters in Mitch, Blaine and Cecile. I liked how VB slowly set up Steve Frame's return from the dead with Denny working for the mysterious Edward Black and the introduction of ''Edward Black's'' right hand woman Quinn Harding. Jamie and Sandy switching id's to fool Isa's goons leading to Jamie,Cecile,Sandy and Mac being held captive at the Cory cabin were Mac nearly died was really great drama. Killing Tracy gave Russ nothing to do the hinted romance with Olivia never happened. Russ floundered until he was written out. Pat a major character since the 60's had nothing to do.Blaine being prosecuted by the man that killed Jordan was a great twist.

Archived