Toups

The Politics Thread

15,184 posts in this topic

Trump isn't going anywhere. The GOP still need him as a shield to push their draconian laws.

35 minutes ago, JaneAusten said:

Good thing. THis is what the democrat have been asking for. He's going to have open access to anything he needs, ability to investigate, subpoena, hire investigators, and prosecute.  He has a fairly stellar reputation. I believe he was asked by Obama to stay on beyond his 10 year term.

Thank God. Even if we're stuck with Pence for 3 years I'll take it.

3 minutes ago, DeeeDee said:

Trump isn't going anywhere. The GOP still need him as a shield to push their draconian laws.

If it were just up to the Congressional Repubs I'd agree with you but the global IC and law enforcement (FBI/U.S. Marshals) are out for blood and that was before he decided to piss off Mossad. He's leaving whether it's in a Trump plane, handcuffs or a body bag. 

16 minutes ago, JaneAusten said:

Did they change the rules after Nixon was able to fire Cox?

You're right. I was wrong. I was thinking "independent" prosecutor not "special" prosecutor. Apparently Donnie can order Rosenstein to fire Mueller and if Rosenstein refuses than he can fire Mueller himself. I have to believe that most people in the administration know that would be the equivalent of 45 shoving a hand grenade up his own ass but we're through the looking glass so anything is possible.

1 hour ago, Roman said:

don't forget Sally too. 

My dream scenario involves Comey and Yates testifying side by side and fist bumping with a flourish after every response to a question. 

4 hours ago, JaneAusten said:

I appreciate you sharing this. I am going to have to put him on my podcast list. That second half on voter ID laws, voter suppression, and such was excellent and really good contributors. I've already subscribed to the Brennan center newsletter after listening. There are some very sobering facts but also some reason for optimism if people keep working and paying attention to these things and actually show up to vote.  There is a great organization out there also called Voter Riders which is a national group organized to help people get the documentation they need to register and to vote.

One of the best things I learned from the podcast was even assbackward West Virginia has auto voter registration as do 38 states/and a commonwealth or two. Such a simple and reasonable solution for so much. 

Im thinking of just going to churches and nursing homes and personally volunteering to drive registered voters to early voting sites. I always try to vote early in West Virginia. But I have to drive to my county seat, which is cross county. Even worse. To renew my driver's license I have to drive 45 miles.  Life in rural America. I can only imagine how daunting that must be for some people. It's just inconvenient for me.  It's a Herculean task for some. 

41 minutes ago, rhinohide said:

One of the best things I learned from the podcast was even assbackward West Virginia has auto voter registration as do 38 states/and a commonwealth or two. Such a simple and reasonable solution for so much. 

Im thinking of just going to churches and nursing homes and personally volunteering to drive registered voters to early voting sites. I always try to vote early in West Virginia. But I have to drive to my county seat, which is cross county. Even worse. To renew my driver's license I have to drive 45 miles.  Life in rural America. I can only imagine how daunting that must be for some people. It's just inconvenient for me.  It's a Herculean task for some. 

Back during the Jowars I could never have imagined the day I would like something you wrote as much as I love this post. This just makes me want to meet you at Rodi's for an O'Douls or maybe we could share a flan in Angel Square. :wub: 

Edited by Vee

12 hours ago, Vee said:

Jimmy Fallon has regrets.

I don't really mind Jimmy Fallon (I don't watch his show but I didn't before the Trump interview either - I just have a limited tolerance for man-children), but that whole thing reeks of damage control and makes me cast a wary eye yet again at ever-corporate NYT. If, as they repeatedly (repeatedly...) said, nothing has really changed that much and things will go back to normal with Fallon on top (and I think they're probably right), then why all the tortured justifications? Lorne Michaels defensively saying that Fallon = Carson doesn't work, because Carson had a very sharp edge. Yes, his comedy was middle-brow, but his delivery wasn't. Fallon just seems like he needs a nap. And I never thought Leno was in the middle of political comedy. Whenever I watched his monologues it was Clinton-bashing night after night, week after week, year after year. And I never even liked Clinton, but it still stuck out.

The staged photos also made me laugh, especially the one of him walking to work. 

And this:

“No one would have thought, even two years ago, that we’d be in a climate where the Republican candidate for president would be too divisive a figure to have on ‘The Tonight Show,’” she continued. “But here we are. Did the show figure that out a beat later than the rest of the world? Maybe. But I don’t think the blame lies with ‘The Tonight Show.’ The blame lies with the hateful rhetoric of the candidate.”

This is BS. Trump had said heinous statements a year before that interview. And he just kept on saying them. All the late night shows coddled him, and most of them now admit it. Tina Fey should not handwave this. 

Edited by DRW50

3 hours ago, marceline said:

Back during the Jowars I could never have imagined the day I would like something you wrote as much as I love this post. This just makes me want to meet you at Rodi's for an O'Douls or maybe we could share a flan in Angel Square. :wub: 

Lol. I've loved you for years. Your Bernie hate made me temporarily reconsider, but I remembered that such differences are temporary. You're good people. 

7 hours ago, DeeeDee said:

I think at the very least they will let him hang on until they gut Obamacare and the social safety net.