The Politics Thread

• Members

They all are though and I care to some extent when they are actually running for office. Obama is done, so why is Elizabeth Warren concerned about it? It's irrelevant. I rolled my eyes at Megan McCain who said something like "Obama is a dirty capitalist like the rest of us. I hope he gets filleted like Hillary did." When did he ever claim he wasn't?

I had no problem with people noting that Hillary had a lot of ties to big money. It should be noted. However, now we live under a regime where conflicts of interest are openly flaunted and no one in power even cares. So what difference does any of it make? I wonder if we will ever go back to an age when the Presidency won't be so openly exploited for personal gain or has Trump changed the game for good. Trump has taken all dignity and honor from the office and no one can say that about Obama without their nose growing.

I'd love to know if Bernie met with Warren Buffet when he was in town for Mello. It would not surprise me one bit. A politician without donations isn't about much. Whenever a politician comes to Omaha I pretty much know they are making a beeline for Warren. There's not much other reason to be here unless it's an election year second stop after doing the rounds in Iowa.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Donnie's tweets are losing effectiveness.

"For all the talk about his tweeting, his numbers are hardly staggering.

"Trump's most retweeted post as president does not come close to matching Barack Obama's. On Jan. 22, amid broad post-inauguration protests, Trump tweeted, "Peaceful protests are a hallmark of our democracy. Even if I don't always agree, I recognize the rights of people to express their views." It was retweeted more than 82,000 times. Obama's 2012 election night post of "Four More Years" was retweeted 940,000 times"

• Members

Speaking of stupidity, The New York Times, after experiencing a boon in subscribers, is not content to be a roaring success in the era of Trumpism but has decided to tank their success by adding a climate change denier to their columnist roster, all in the name of supposedly adding an opposing view.

Well, subscribers are now cancelling their subscriptions in droves. Some people think it's stupid for people to cancel subscriptions due to one columnist whose opinions they find distasteful but oh well, freedom of choice and all that.

New York Times staff, social media accounts push back against new opinion columnist Bret Stephens’ first op-ed

Speaking of the press, did anyone watch the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner last night?  I have only seen various clips, but thanks to the power of the Internet, I did find this link to it on You Tube's CSPAN channel. Or actually, it found me as was on Twitter's Moments feed (which I occasionally look at).

• Members

It's good that warmongering NYT has reminded people they are not reliable and have never been reliable. There's such a minimum base that these papers are expected to fulfill under Trump, and they still manage to fail to meet that minimum. 

• Members

Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) to retire from Congress at the end of her term. She represents a district in Southeast Florida that went for Hillary Clinton by more than 20 points over Donald Trump. The biggest Hillary margin for any Republican held congressional seat. 

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article147718764.html

• Members

LIkely because of the immigration ugliness. I wonder if she recognize any of the GOP at this point. 

I saw that Will Ferrell trotted out his W impression for Samantha Bee and that we were invited to remember he wasn't so bad (never mind that Ferrell has been soft-pedaling W since 2000, to the detriment of the country). I thought this type of soft soap tactic that gives Republicans huge gifts was not something Bee would do. I guess she's just another who is part of the system.