Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I wholeheartedly agree. Downballot races are everything. My point was that if Bernie really cares about stopping Trump then attacking Ossoff while inserting himself into a race that has no effect on Trump, is a pretty lousy way to do that. But the truth is Bernie hates the Democrats. He did before but he hates us even more now because we didn't give him the White House.

• Members

Mello isn't really anti choice though. He's anti abortion in his personal life. I'm pretty sure he's not alone in that. He's promised he would not do anything to get in the way of a woman's reproductive choices.  That's about the best you are going to do in this state right now and have a chance to win. Do I consider that good or right? I sure as hell do not, but that is the reality here.  If we make it through the next 4 years without teenage girls having to drive to CO or KS for a first trimester abortion, I'll consider it a near miracle. Not long ago a teenager gave birth in her bedroom and threw the baby out the window because she was too afraid to tell she was pregnant, but people will not learn.

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

Oh and that's perfectly fine. My own representative Gutierrez is catholic and pro-life personally but as a representative is pro-choice. He has made that distinction many times. You are there so I will trust you on it. I think the issue became heated due to a. Sanders comments about Ossoff not being progressive enough, even though he admittedly knows very little of him and b. that Mello allegedly co-sponsored a bill back in 2009 that would have required women having and viewing an ultrasound before having an abortion.

Perhaps that later item got skewed and has been portrayed in the media differently than what actually transpired.

• Members

Yes, he did, which is disgusting, no doubt. I have no love for the man.  I think he promised not to do anything restricting choice in this race because it's irrelevant to being mayor or possibly he's evolved. More likely he knows it won't come up.  Like I said in my first post on he subject, if this is just about being mayor of Omaha, JS is probably the slightly better choice, since the restaurant tax is progressive and good for public school funding. I just consider bringing Scott Walker into the mix a true slap in the face. Jean had this won the moment HM brought Bernie in though. Bernie might be popular in the country, but he is not popular in Nebraska.

As for voter suppression in Georgia I'm disgusted by how shameless these people can be. I feel like this country is truly determined to repeat every injustice we've ever committed. I can only hope it's a temporary moment in time and things will get better again.

• Members

From HuffPo/Rewire

"Mello is a sponsor of the final version of a 20-week abortion ban approved by the governor in 2010, and cast anti-choice votes in favor of requiring physicians to be physically present for an abortion in order to impede access to telemedicine abortion care, and a law banning insurance plans in the state from covering abortions. He was endorsed in 2010 by anti-choice group Nebraska Right to Life."

That's not anti-abortion in his personal life. That's someone who has a hard time seeing women as people. Tim Kaine and Joe Biden are both personally against abortion but they vote pro-choice. Mello tried to force women to have ultrasounds. He may say he wouldn't do anything to get in the way of a woman's reproductive choices but his history says that's a lie. I get that he might be the best one can do as far as a Democrat in Omaha and I hope he gets elected because almost any Democrat is better than a Republican. My anger isn't at Mello (although I could never vote for an anti-choice Dem) it's at Bernie's hypocrisy and purity politics. 

• Members

^ I'm really not trying to defend the guy. He's probably lying about his position having changed, but he just can't do much damage as mayor.  There was a time when I wouldn't have even bothered to vote in this race, but after Trump won I promised myself that I would vote in every damn election from dog catcher on up. 

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

Not until this morning. It certainly did clarify some of the larger issues for me though. I really hope a leader emerges for the democrats who can bring people together in time for the midterms.  At this point I'm really unsure how I feel about Bernie Sanders.  If it's true that he's the most popular politician in the country than I hope democrats can utilize him, but can that be done without further alienating more than half the party? I shudder to think if he somehow gets the nomination in 4 years.

Thanks, but I had my head in the sand for far too long. Better late than never I guess.