Toups

The Politics Thread

14,523 posts in this topic

Yeah, it's hard to get excited about the filibuster because it won't change anything.

1 hour ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Did y'all hear about the #People's Summit being held in Chicago, with no Chicagoans on the roster?

I saw that infuriating. As a Chicagoan there is not ONE person I know of on that list that represents any of the concerns of the community here. I'll be interested to see if any local BLM activists get invited because I doubt any of them will show up particularly with Sanders comments about them last year.

57 minutes ago, marceline said:

Yeah, it's hard to get excited about the filibuster because it won't change anything.

It's frankly a relief because in the end it's going to end up hurting the GOP IMO. But it's been sort of pointless for years as it is.

Edited by JaneAusten

Trump donated his first 3 months salary to National Park Service...lol me senses some damage control there

12 minutes ago, dragonflies said:

Trump donated his first 3 months salary to National Park Service...lol me senses some damage control there

That's just him indulging in some reality show theatrics. You can rest assured that money will find its way back to him.

Edited by marceline

I've never cared for Giuliani but in his early years his reputation for wanting to drive out the mob built his reputation for being anti-corruption but this latest chapter in his political career, with him defending a wealthy Iranian businessman who has violated U.S. sanctions laws and has a whole host of other criminal charges (yet is connected to the president of Turkey, Erdogan) really makes Giuliani look like a defender for corruption who is against the rule of law.

This entire situation, well, something stinks, right from the head.

Legal Team That Includes Giuliani Pushes for Deal, Just Not With Prosecutors

Edited by DramatistDreamer

5 minutes ago, Vee said:

Erik Prince (head of Blackwater) - brother of Betsy DeVos - set up a secret backchannel for Putin and Trump.

Not since Season 3 of House of Cards, have I been hearing the words "backchannel" so often!

Apparently, the Chinese have been setting up a backchannel through Kushner to Trump. The Chinese seem to be into dynasties and liken Kushner to a 'princeling' the way China regards wealthy and well-connected sons of Communist party elites as 'princelings'. 

6 hours ago, JaneAusten said:

No offense but how many times do we have to read how evil the Clintons are and how they destroyed the democratic party. Perhaps you caught me at a bad time as I listen yet again to Bernie Sanders a non democrat trash the party. Rather than show real leadership by standing along with those of our political leaders in congress, he spends days on trashing the democrats inviting the likes of real elitists like Michael Moore and Susan Sarandon to congratulate themselves on blowing up the country. I am all for reform and fresh blood, but spending endless hours trashing the party and not even acknowledging the grass roots efforts that have actually helped fuel a number of successes, even minor ones,  infuriates me. 

And now Sanders is being credited for introducing Medicare for all, a bill Rep Conyers from Michigan, a black man, has introduced into the house every year for the last how many years, is equally short sighted.

Sorry for going off, but some people like me are ready to move forward and keep getting dragged back by some of this. For what purpose.

I guess as long as Clinton supporters continue to blame Bernie supporters for her loss. I'm ready to move on as well. But I continue to hear how Bernie's campaign crippled HRC and caused her loss. 

4 hours ago, marceline said:

Sanders supporters love giving him credit for work done by others. That's why they love to say "Bernie's the only one out here fighting for us!" Fortunately I feel like more and more people are finally calling him out for the self-serving, treacherous [!@#$%^&*] he is.

No. We don't. But if something has been introduced multiple times and never gained traction, is it a poorer concept if an old white Jewish guy introduces it and it breathes?  

3 hours ago, marceline said:

There's an argument that it will make things worse. They're going to exercise the "nuclear" option. 

Gorsuch was conservative. But more center compared to Scalia. Confirming him would not have changed the composition of SCOTUS. NOT confirming him has changed the rules of law for the Senate. Which will live forever. 

24 minutes ago, rhinohide said:

I guess as long as Clinton supporters continue to blame Bernie supporters for her loss. I'm ready to move on as well. But I continue to hear how Bernie's campaign crippled HRC and caused her loss. 

That will happen as soon as Bernie supporters quit blaming his loss in the primary on rigging the system, the same "rigged" system by the way in which President Barack Obama, who actually ran a comprehensive campaign that touched ALL states not ignoring the southern states because they "don't matter',  actually beat Hillary Clinton. No one will ever win a democratic primary by diminishing POC in the south as irrelevant and low information voters.

And insisting any claims of Russian involvement are "Cold War bigotry" and just an excuse for Clinton's loss.

If Republicans want to approve Gorsuch, they need to change the rules to do it. After refusing to even hold a hearing for Obama's choice for the vacancy, it's not like they can expect for Democrats to be conciliatory.

9 minutes ago, Vee said:

And insisting any claims of Russian involvement are "Cold War bigotry" and just an excuse for Clinton's loss.

I don't see Bernie approving of Russia's involvement in the election in any way. Try again. 

20 minutes ago, JaneAusten said:

That will happen as soon as Bernie supporters quit blaming his loss in the primary on rigging the system, the same "rigged" system by the way in which President Barack Obama, who actually ran a comprehensive campaign that touched ALL states not ignoring the southern states because they "don't matter',  actually beat Hillary Clinton. No one will ever win a democratic primary by diminishing POC in the south as irrelevant and low information voters.

Do you deny that the DNC establishment preferred HRC?  Do you deny that their preference showed every step of the way?  I don't blame them. The RNC preferred Cruz or Rubio to Trump. Did everything to defeat him. And failed. The DNC succeeded in their mission. While the RNC failed. But ultimately the RNC's failure gave them complete and total ownership of our government. 

3 minutes ago, rhinohide said:

I don't see Bernie approving of Russia's involvement in the election in any way. Try again. 

I wasn't talking about Bernie.

Do you deny that the DNC establishment preferred HRC?  Do you deny that their preference showed every step of the way?  I don't blame them. The RNC preferred Cruz or Rubio to Trump. Did everything to defeat him. And failed. The DNC succeeded in their mission.

Or: Dude lost the primary because not enough Democratic voters wanted him, and because other voters did not bother to register properly in their state.

It's a primary. People lose. The inept, coddled bureaucrats at the DNC have never been capable of a grand conspiracy to tie their shoes until suddenly Bernie Sanders has a problem winning the black and Democratic vote - then they're masterminds.

Edited by Vee

10 minutes ago, rhinohide said:

Do you deny that the DNC establishment preferred HRC?  Do you deny that their preference showed every step of the way?  I don't blame them. The RNC preferred Cruz or Rubio to Trump. Did everything to defeat him. And failed. The DNC succeeded in their mission. While the RNC failed. But ultimately the RNC's failure gave them complete and total ownership of our government. 

I never said they didn't and I do think they 'encouraged' some to stay out of the race to leave an open field for her. And yes that was wrong. But there is zero evidence including the leaked emails that anything else was done including the debates, which there were more of than in 2008 when she and Obama ran head to head. Anyone believing the DNC is some kind of mastermind to influence 4 million voters is smoking something powerful.

Sanders ran a crappy campaign his first 6 months, something those in his bubble refuse to recognize. They held an event at a black college in the south which the college wanted to invite it's students and give them first priority, only to be overruled by the Sanders camp. Guess what skin color the majority of the audience ended up being. Sanders lost by 4 million votes. And I will again say Clinton was also the favored candidate in 2008 but somehow  Barack Obama won the nomination.

Edited by JaneAusten