Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

So Mike Pence apparently doesn't go into any room alone with a woman (if only his boss had shown the same courtesy...), because of his wife and his being a fundamentalist Christian. 

I've heard people say how dare you question him, you godless liberals, and so on, even though this means he can't really have any proper meeting with any woman in power and that women who work for him will always be kept firmly in their place. All I could think was if a Muslim VP had this rule, there would be nationwide outrage and Faux News would run pieces every day.

• Members

That he's there yukking it up with Rick Santorum says it all. He's always been a self-absorbed contrarian twat who gets a free pass because a lot of people think he's cool. And the audience cheering that man (Santorum) turns my stomach. I'm so glad I canceled my HBO subscription a few years back.

• Members

Well he is receiving a nice backlash for his comment. I am so over him whining about liberals being PC and it affecting us in the polls. There's a difference between being PC and being an outright racist. What O'Reilly said about Maxine Waters was racist. How Spicer treated April Ryan was condescending and misogynistic. It it what it is. 

But b/c Bill Maher allegedly beds Black women on occasion, he feels like he can speak for us African Americans at times and can't. If he actually listened to a Black person, he'd know that hair is a sensitive topic for us all, as we're told from day one what is considered good hair vs. bad hair OR what is an acceptable hairstyle vs. what is unsettling to others. 

• Members

There's one part of that I do agree with but not the victim-blaming, racist way he dismissed it. I do think that focusing too much on bigotry and hate will lose votes, but that's mostly if you obscure a lot of the other elements of your campaign, the way I think Hillary did when everything became all about Trump and I would see Hillary ads that were just nothing but Trump clips rather than anything supporting her. That doesn't mean you shouldn't call these things out, and it definitely doesn't mean that you should dismiss the people who are saying that it's offensive. Telling a black woman "stop shaking your head" is racist and offensive. No one would ever say that to a white man. Talking about a black woman's hair is racist and offensive. You can't just say "It's a joke." A lot of things are "jokes," but what does that mean? It would be one thing if Suzy Social Justice Warrior was telling you about why you can't celebrate Thanksgiving, but when people who are affected by these "jokes" are telling you they're offensive and wrong, then if you call yourself anything beyond a flaming right winger, it's your duty to listen.