The Politics Thread

• Members

The Politico article @Vee posted a link to is one I read earlier today. It spends a little too much time reminding us of this or that principled Republican, but there are a lot of interesting passages. This one hits on something I've always wondered about - how the true believers would feel about someone like Steve Bannon. 

Members of the Freedom Caucus realized right away that there would be no negotiating. Pence tried to pump up the conservatives, telling them the fight was theirs to win and that they needed to help Trump and Ryan score a victory for the new administration. The plea landed on deaf ears. "Take one for the team" was a phrase repeatedly deployed; at one point, after Bannon used it, Joe Barton, a white-haired conservative from Texas, snapped back in response that Bannon was talking to them like children and he didn't appreciate it. The room filled with uncomfortable silence; Bannon backed down and the meeting went on. (Barton eventually announced his support for the legislation—one of only a few who would eventually switch positions.) After several hours, the members returned to the Capitol feeling frustrated, calling the meeting "a waste of time" and wondering if they had missed their only window for cutting a deal with Trump.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Meanwhile Trump plays golf for 4 and 1/2 hours at his club in Virginia after apparently telling the White House press pool that he had "work" to do.

Also, the Secret Service asked for a raise (to their allotted budget) because they can't afford Trump and his family.

Secret Service Can’t Afford The Trump Family’s Lifestyle

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/steve-bannon-thought-he-could-bully-republicans-on-health-care-he-couldnt_us_58d6d12ce4b03692bea683e1?gomn34ryaqxnzsemi&

“You know, the last time someone ordered me to something, I was 18 years old,” one of the members reportedly told Bannon. “And it was my daddy. And I didn’t listen to him, either.”

Edited by Roman

• Members

Remember he did all he could do and after all that negotiating and winning, he's earned golf time.

Just what TrumPutin needs friendly pressL

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2017/03/sputnik-news-white-house-press-pass-russia-236481?cmpid=sf

Flynnspiracy is getting even stranger with a report that he planned to kidnap a green card holder for a Turkish sponsor.

I tell you I'm waiting to hear that Melania is behind some of this and she duped Trump somehow (not really, but I wouldn't be surprised if she gets thrown under for cash considerations and a divorce).

• Members

Why not Rita Cosby

Please register in order to view this content

While it's still March 25th, in "the universe loves a cruel cosmic joke" news, today is Gloria Steinem's birthday...and Anita Bryant's birthday, too (yes, she's still alive--she's actually six years younger than Gloria). I just find it hilarious and weird that these two iconic, diametrically opposite women actually share the same birthday.

I could watch this clip forever. I wonder if Anita still enjoys eating pie.  Even better? This wasn't in a so-called godless heathen city like New York or LA. This was in little, All-American Des Moines, Iowa (where I once lived, for the record). Pied by a gay protester in Middle America. I love it. 

I will say this, though: When I went to the Women's March in DC in January, and got to hear Gloria speak up close, that was such an incredible moment. I wasn't anywhere near the stage, or one of the Jumbotrons, and at times it was hard to hear her over the crowd, but I don't care. I still got to hear her speak in person. 

Edited by MissLlanviewPA

• Members

We posted the David Frum piece from The Atlantic the other day, right, the one looking back on the ACA passage in '10 and telling the GOP they need to give up on it for good? Even for someone who disagrees with Frum on so many things it was an incredible piece of writing.