Toups

The Politics Thread

13,896 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Wales2004 said:

The most genuine moment, imo, came when he said company instead of country. He thinks he's in charge of one big company.

 

Those mics were messed up so I don't know what Halperin asked to send him down the familiar road of republican utopia and tiresome droning on and on about Obamacare is failing and lies about how he said the best thing to do is to let it fail as if no one heard him say he had a better plan and he was going to replace and repeal on day one.

 

His reading style is horrific. The fact that he does not get that he's not standing in front of his admirers and carries on as if the world's been victimizing America and he's going to fix everything is very depressing.

 

I can't even say what the most embarrassing part of all that was but when he responded to the reporter who asked him about his use of fake news and made out as if that was the reporter's term, the awkward reference to Angela Merkel being wiretapped, and the ask Fox News rubbish, it just seemed as if this is never going to end. This game of quoting conspiracy theorists as evidence and pretending that they were merely using them as examples of what is being reported in the news, claiming to have evidence that can only be delivered in two weeks or some other time down the road, and being blameless is something I don't think I can stand anymore. I might watch the PBS Newshour later but I think I need to filter out the repetition because I know this isn't a really bad episode of the Twilight Zone.

I think you have to tune him out. I have for the most part and focus on what is actually being done in Congress and by the White House. That's what I've been doing and it helps being part of a couple of local activist groups who are both engaged in the local elections and focusing on issues vs the person.

 

And it works. I canvassed for a local community who was having town council elections 2 weeks ago and the party I canvassed for which was not the establishment democratic party picked up 60% of the seats on the town council and the mayor skimmed by re-election by less than 300 votes. The turnout was way up compared to most local elections in the past also. So it's things like that which are huge moral boosters and actually make a difference in people's daily lives. It made a lot of us feel that our canvassing and GOTV efforts really made a difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2017 at 3:18 PM, JaneAusten said:

Lord knows Merkel has her problems, but Trump's election probably has helped solidify her position in Germany and given her party a greater advantage than it had.

 

Reviewing photographs of the two of them sitting apart yesterday, it is clear that Merkel is now the leader of the free world, Trump even knows that he is a lesser compared to her and he looks like a petulant child who knows he cannot get his way and doesn't know how to deal with a powerful woman, his weakness.

He actually looks weak in contrast to Merkel.

 

So ironic that people who didn't want a woman as Commander-in-Chief of the US now have effectively sealed the fate of Trump as not only NOT being a world leader but now must defer to Angela Merkel, a woman who is now, clearly the most powerful leader in the free world.

 

 

Edited by DramatistDreamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People claim we should ignore Trump's words and focus on his actions- that's understandable but Trump's big mouth and ugly rhetoric is also being looked at by judges and it's torpedo-ing his policies. Smart judges!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DramatistDreamer said:

With the exception of Ms. Swenson, the disabled lady, the rest of them are incredible, incredibly obtuse. Why do I bother to read about these people? :rolleyes:

 

Trump Budget Cuts Put Struggling Americans on Edge

 

It mostly just made me sad, mostly because it showed, as you said, that they just didn't get it. They were blindsided because they actually thought he gave a damn about them. 

 

I do have a bit of respect for the man who said if he lost his schooling and job because of Trump he'd just suck it up. Or I would if he hadn't voted for that mess. 

 

I also appreciated that they went outside the normal focus and also interviewed people who hadn't voted or who may not have voted for Trump.

 

Someone really needs to get these people out on the streets protesting. If there's one thing Republicans will be terrified of it's middle-aged white people protesting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DRW50 said:

An article on what Merkel had to tolerate in order to maintain harmony.

 

http://www.politico.eu/article/merkels-ivanka-moment/

"However unsavory she and her countrymen may find Trump, Germany has no viable alternative to the U.S. partnership, either in economic or security terms."

 

If that's true poor Germany and poor Merkel. I'm sickened by how many strong women have been demeaned by having to deal with Trump. As for the handshake that didn't happen, I wonder if he didn't hear her? They did hand shakes throughout the day, so what would be he point of snubbing her in the Oval Office? I'm not one to give Trump the benefit of the doubt, but maybe this one time he wasn't an ass on purpose? <_< OK, that's probably a longshot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/meals-on-wheels-trump-budget-cut-impact-on-voters/

 

It works for 56-year-old Linda Preast, who signed up for the program two years ago after a stroke left her in a wheelchair. Meals on Wheels delivers to her every weekday. Like most residents in Jones County, she voted for Donald Trump.



“Are you surprised?” Miller asked.

“Yeah,” Preast said. “Because he was told- I was under the influence that he was going to help us.”

“What would you say to him to convince him not to cut this program?” Miller asked.

“What if it was your momma?” Preast said.

 

None of these people seem to realize that their well being is not of concern to the person that they voted for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ So embarrassing. I wonder why he snubbed her, but maybe there is just no understanding that man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Juliajms said:

^ So embarrassing. I wonder why he snubbed her, but maybe there is just no understanding that man.


IMPO< Trump can't stand any woman who is equal to him. all women must be subservient to him. all this dos is just add one more notch on the belt that will get him when the right time comes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Roman said:


IMPO< Trump can't stand any woman who is equal to him. all women must be subservient to him. all this dos is just add one more notch on the belt that will get him when the right time comes. 

 

@JuliajmsSome body language experts were interviewed on their thoughts and they pretty much said that Trump knows he is not the most powerful figure in that room, she is. From the first handshake, it was obvious that Merkel does not trust Trump, the way she closed her arms around her body, crossed her legs tightly-very much in protective and wary mode.

By the end, Trump was slumped in a defeated position, surly and looking like petulant child who had been put in his place.

The 'handshake snub' was a last-ditch attempt to assert some type of dominance over a powerful woman that he obviously doesn't know how to deal with but everyone pretty much thinks that this childish move makes him look even weaker compared to Merkel.

 

The German media, politicos and general public are fuming over what they see as Trump's petulance and rudeness.

 

Vladimir's instruction to Trump clearly got lost in translation as no one was supposed to catch on to what was happening and Merkel was clearly not intimidated.

 

 

 

Recently, on Twitter, I read about a woman, a Trump voter, complaining about the possibility of her Meels-On-Wheels being eliminated. In the subtweets, a Latino man, responded that he didn't feel sorry for her at all, since she obviously thought it was fine to vote for someone who separates families. 

 

My first instinct is to harden against these people who are now complaining, similar to the response of this man. There is a lot of attention on these people who are now waking up to the damage that their votes have caused but is there equal focus on the people whose everyday lives are being upended by the micro-aggressions of Trump voters?

 

A California waiter refused to serve 4 Latina women until he saw ‘proof of residency’

 

 

 

 

Edited by DramatistDreamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

 

@JuliajmsSome body language experts were interviewed on their thoughts and they pretty much said that Trump knows he is not the most powerful figure in that room, she is. From the first handshake, it was obvious that Merkel does not trust Trump, the way she closed her arms around her body, crossed her legs tightly-very much in protective and wary mode.

By the end, Trump was slumped in a defeated position, surly and looking like petulant child who had been put in his place.

The 'handshake snub' was a last-ditch attempt to assert some type of dominance over a powerful woman that he obviously doesn't know how to deal with but everyone pretty much thinks that this childish move makes him look even weaker compared to Merkel.

 

The German media, politicos and general public are fuming over what they see as Trump's petulance and rudeness.

 

Vladimir's instruction to Trump clearly got lost in translation as no one was supposed to catch on to what was happening and Merkel was clearly not intimidated.

 

 

 

Recently, on Twitter, I read about a woman, a Trump voter, complaining about the possibility of her Meels-On-Wheels being eliminated. In the subtweets, a Latino man, responded that he didn't feel sorry for her at all, since she obviously thought it was fine to vote for someone who separates families. 

 

My first instinct is to harden against these people who are now complaining, similar to the response of this man. There is a lot of attention on these people who are now waking up to the damage that their votes have caused but is there equal focus on the people whose everyday lives are being upended by the micro-aggressions of Trump voters?

 

A California waiter refused to serve 4 Latina women until he saw ‘proof of residency’

 

 

 

 


The boldness of the ignorant is just disappointing. sad, pathetic, bigoted....maybe he was being a smart ass, but it cost him his job and made the business and company look horrible in comparison. some people just tend to be evil and ignorant, and are so very proud of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member