Toups

The Politics Thread

13,131 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Vee said:

If he was setting the tone and winning he wouldn't be angrily tweeting every morning at 4 AM, hiding from the press and the WHCD, and sinking below 38% rapidly.

Of course he would, because he's a pathetic and deluded man who will never be happy. 

As long as the focus is on "rigging" claims and on Tom Perez and the DNC responding to this (which just further spreads the belief among people who don't pay a lot of attention that it must have been rigged because why else is it being talked about so much), it just hurts Democrats in their plans to move forward.  

26 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

And it looks like Sanders supporters were trying to go after anyone who didn't play ball. I really wish these people would just be drummed out of any party role.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/sanders-revolution-resists-dnc-loss-235404

They are rendering themselves irrelevant because they abhor compromise. For all the talk of the power of these voters they've accomplished nothing. Bernie decisively lost the primary and his surrogates like Tulsi Gabbard and Nina Turner are more irrelevant for their involvement with him. They have no interest in downballot races so they are no use in trying to harness them for local races. Ellison is basically co-chair which *is* a win for the "revolution" but their entitlement makes it impossible for them to accept that. Bernie doesn't really have all the juice he's being credited with because his followers come from a place of ideological purity. They want to spread the gospel of Bernie. They aren't interested in listening.

44 minutes ago, DRW50 said:

This just annoys me. Trump again sets the tone and everyone else responds. It's not even that he's some tactical genius - he's not - it's just a cheap trick that often works. 

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/perez-dismisses-trumps-claim-that-dnc-process-was-rigged-235406

Trolling Trump is fine since it takes very little effort to do.  As long as it isn't their only or main strategy then troll away.  His idiotic tweets are an invitation but unless directed at them, elected officials should be about their jobs and not scoring meaningless points.

Trump is low-level transparent on the DNC vote.  He and his two crazies would have preferred Ellison so they could make him their boogeyman with veiled references to his being Muslim and by proxy a terrorist.  And of course, he's not who they mean when they talk about "real Americans."

This is one of the things that irks me most about the Democrats.  They pretty much sit back and let Republicans define everything about America and Americans and then fight back instead of being proactive.  It's not complicated--people want to belong.  The Democrats need to learn how to open up their arms and let people in and not just pay lip service to inclusiveness.  They need new messaging as well.

Instead of making it seem like some big chore and obstacle to overcome respecting people despite our differences, flip the script positively and learn to appreciate people because of our differences.  I mean I seriously love me some me, and I would have a ball with me-clones for maybe a day.  But then it would get boring and I wouldn't grow in my way of thinking if everyone echoed my own thoughts.

This thread is amazing including the troll, because I learn a lot from the opinions expressed here and I learn a lot about people.  I appreciate the opportunity to share with you and thank you all.  And no, I'm not going away or anything--I just want to acknowledge how special everyone is.

@Wales2004 it's funny you say that because I found myself wondering how this subthread turned into one of the richest, deepest political discussions I've seen.

Despite having to sometimes sidestep the trolls, I look forward to the thoughtful discussions we have on this board, especially this political thread. It is surprising that on a board that is ostensibly know for discussion of serial drama aka soaps, there is this gem of a political discussion thread where open, profound and sometimes humorous back and forth can be had. 

If only there were more people in positions of power who gave as much thought, weight and consideration to their actions as most of the posters on this board, what a world it would be!

Speaking of people I wish would give consideration and weight to consequences of their actions (but we know it's never gonna happen) if only for the sake of people like these.

Slain SEAL’s dad wants answers: ‘Don’t hide behind my son’s death’

For all the talk about marches and rallies, this is the kind of activism I'm more interested in.  I've occasionally donated money to races in other states. It would be nice to know the best places to target. They were successful in winning the Delaware special election.

"So in late November, Bosworth launched Sister District, a website that helps activists in safe blue areas support candidates in red states and swing districts who could use the help. Sister District, which boasts about 5,000 members and has been recruiting at anti-Donald Trump protests and on social media, is in the process of filing for tax-exempt status as a 527, allowing it to raise money and donate directly to candidates for state office. It recently joined forces with another organization with a similar agenda, Flippable, on a race they hope will demonstrate the power of the suddenly energized grassroots left: a special election for a Delaware state Senate seat that will determine the balance of power in the state Capitol."

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/02/swing-left-sister-district-flippable-delaware