The Politics Thread

• Members

Muhammad Ali Jr. revealed that he was detained for two hours on a returning flight from Jamaica after being asked "Are you a Muslim?" A spokesman/lawyer stated that they are in the process of finding out how many others have been asked this question as they believe that it is profiling.  They can add Olympic medallist Ibtihaj Muhammad to that list as she also had something similar happen to her recently.  

The lawyer for Ali Jr. stated that they are surveying others and if they find that there is a sizeable enough number they would be looking to file a federal lawsuit.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Someone told me about this Thursday but I did not read about it until yesterday.  This is about a baseball player (Dexter Fowler) saying one word "unfortunate" and the ignorance that followed.

Fowler’s crime?

His wife, Darya, is from Iran. An ESPN reporter asked him about President Donald Trump’s travel ban—Iran is one of seven countries included—and Fowler said it is “unfortunate.” Unfortunate because he and Darya would like to take their young daughter to Iran one day so she can meet her cousins and other relatives for the first time. Unfortunate because Darya’s sister, according to Fowler, recently delayed her trip home to the United States from a business trip to Qatar because she didn’t want to be detained.

Fowler was not disrespectful to Trump. He did not rant and rave. He simply said the travel ban was “unfortunate.” That’s it.

Nevertheless, so-called “fans” took to the Facebook page St. Louis Cardinals True Fans and immediately began the public flogging with comments such as:

“Trump won mo. By 19 points keep mouth shut and play baseball.”

“I knew he was going to shame the cardinals uniform.”

“Trade his black ass”

“Just cry me a river Fowler trade him Cardinals is too good for his BS”

“He should just move out of the country! He has plenty of money. So sick of hearing this especially from people like him.”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2694654-attacks-on-dexter-fowler-an-eye-opener-to-how-the-world-is-for-others-in-mlb

• Members

I think this is really one of the major dilemmas the original recipe ACA faces. Without the mandate and the power (fine) to back it up some healthy people will just opt out. I don't blame them because when you are living hand to mouth like that you tend to live in the moment when it comes to finances. However that raises the prices for other people and makes the whole thing unworkable. I'm sure there are ways around that, but not ones a Republican congress will pass.

I'm pretty skeptical that tax credits will help people who aren't already well into the middle class, but I'll wait to see what actually gets passed. I've never been more grateful to have employer based insurance, but at the same time most of us are one job loss away from needing the ACA to fall back on.

• Members

Congrats to Tom Perez. I'm glad he realizes that this party needs to go back to reaching out to everyone, and it was nice that he suggested Keith Ellison for Deputy Chair. 

However, I see the Bernie or bust folks are coming out again talking about straying from the party once again (via Twitter). 

Please register in order to view this content

These dumba**es are the primary reason why Trump is in office now. 

I hate that people can't compromise and learn to accept a lesser evil. 

• Members

We won't. Like I've already said, many of these morons are on Twitter now talking about they are about to defect from the party. Good. We see where that got us all last time. Your asses are out in the streets fighting for our rights b/c the GOP holds all the power. I'm sick of my fellow liberals not willing to bend on every situation. I'm over my fellow millennials assuming that we are to just go all the way left in a day. It takes progression... time! 

If people would give Perez (and Ellison too) a chance, these 2 might help mold a more progressive, new hybrid of the Democratic party. Just give the man a chance! F-ck!!

If they join the Greens, they are idiots. Did they not see how much of a dolt Jill Stein was? People just need to grow a pair and learn to compromise. That's what adults do. Sadly, we live in an environment where everyone is selfish and all about, "me, me, me!"

• Members

The kicker is when she asks others to 'walk a mile in' her shoes but did she think to do the same before Election Day? She's asking people to have empathy for her anxiety now but did she think about the anxiety others had who thought this man would be be a bad idea for a potus?

The entire thing is just sad and will continue to be sad for so many people now.

• Members

The Democrats can come together but the Berniacs aren't going to be part of it. They're a lost cause like the Trumpers and like so many Trumpers they only showed up to vote because of the person and not the principles so there's no point in trying to please them. They aren't Democrats, they don't vote reliably, and they alienate key constituencies in their quest for purity. The Dems are a coalition party. The Berniacs won't accept that.