Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Alduy is right about the U.S. needing a better electoral system.

Geez, is Marine LePen still trying to pretend that she is estranged from her father in order to make herself more palatable to the French public?

I read about Fillon and his wife and that whole possibe violation of nepotism rules thing. His campaign seems to be holding on by a slim thread at the moment.

There are a number of newsworthy events that have happened in France lately. There is a big case of police officers sodomizing a young Black man, which has caused rioting in the suburbs and consternation in political/social circles. I don't know what momentum this case has or whether it will have been settled and faded by April but it is something not to ignore in possibily mobilizing certain blocs, especially given how egregious the act was and how flimsy the excuses the police have given.

Also, I wonder what voter turnout is like in France? Here, it was pretty piss poor in 2016, as we all know. Also, I don't often hear of voter suppression being an issue the way it has historically been here in the U.S.- the way it continues to be. In any case, France's runoff system, at least seems sensible.

Here is an interesting article about how grassroots resistance movements seem to be outpacing long-established traditional ones.

Congress Goes Home, and Constituents Fired Up Over Health Care Are Waiting

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I watched the PBS NewsHour Friday which featured a segment about the voters who frequent two cafes (with opposing political views).  One cafe is owned by a couple described as Palestinian Muslim and they renamed their cafe Trump Cafe.  The husband did not appear in the segment but the wife has nothing but praise for Donald Trump and one woman in particular loves everything he does. 

I think it's an eye-opener for anyone who still believes that hardcore Trump supporters will ever be disillusioned by him.  And it's also sad to see how easily people can be duped.  They are so blissfully ignorant.

Here's a link for anyone who is interested and there is a transcript below the video:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/vegetarian-cafe-trump-cafe-texas-political-chasm/

• Members

It's times like these when I hate not subscribing to HBO anymore.

Is it up on YT yet?  Granted, Maher is not necessarily one of my favorite people.  Nevertheless, I live to see anyone rip Borat a new one.

And they will probably remain that way for life.

Lord knows I don't want another Holocaust to happen; and I want Congress and the wiser citizens of this country to stop the current administration before we reach that point.  But, in a way, another government-sanctioned holocaust seems almost necessary for the most complacent and ignorant ones out there to see what happens when pure, unadulterated evil goes unchecked.  Holocaust survivors have warned us over and over to "never forget," but it seems as if we have done just that.

• Members

I don't care for him either, TBH. It's probably true that you shouldn't learn too much about a public figure's personal life but since then, he's always come off as smarmy and sleezy to me.

I read that one of his scheduled guests cancelled because he felt it was a waste of time to debate Yannopoulis and having him on the show was a simple ratings grab.

People went in on Trevor Noah for having Lahren on his show. How is this any different?

• Members

Jeremy Scahill. he was the one who canceled. he said that even though he loves the producers of the show, has been a guest on many times, and does at times admire maher (and really despises his bigotry towards Muslims and Muslim Americans and Islam) he could not in good conscious go on the show where Maher had invited a known provocateur, racist, bigot and who says the most vile things just for publicity. Maher said that he felt to not invite Milo on would not be confronting what he stands for...but IMPO, he treated Milio with kid gloves and didn't challenge him too much at all. Scahill said because of the invite, he would not share a stage or be on the show. and I applaud him for it. he was not mean spirited, was rude and didn't blast Maher, the producers or any of the other guests....but said he wouldn't be on. 

Must start watching PBS NH. 

• Members

I think Jeremy Scahill went after Bill having Milo on his show in part and in  particular because of his role in getting people to go after Leslie Jones on Twitter last July (which resulted, thankfully, in Milo being permanently banned from Twitter). But even more importantly, Bill had Tomi on his show too recently. And he's still having other Trump supporters on his show. He's always had conservatives on his show, which is fine, but I think JS felt that Milo was a bridge too far, a sign that Bill has NOT fully adjusted his show in response to what Trump supporters are like compared to "regular" conservatives. I understand the need to want to have people of different sides speaking/debating each other, but at this point it feels like Bill is normalizing people like Milo who SHOULDN'T be normalized.

I've been a huge fan of Bill in the past (don't hurt me!), but I feel he's starting the miss the mark here, in terms of guests. He still does some GREAT New Rules, but he should think twice about inviting people fully aboard on the Trump Train to his show. 

Edited by MissLlanviewPA

• Members

Better move fast, I've read Corporation for Public Broadcasting is on Orange Foolius' chopping block for the budget.  

You should see the list of things that the administration aims to eliminate, including a program for the Appalachian region and a drug treatment program (which, no offense, had anyone watched Trump's performance during the debates, it seems like there may have been some substance(s) consumed beforehand).

Most people agree that taking away many of these programs (especially the arts) won't even dent the deficit and many of these programs (again, especially the arts) yield far more benefits beyond what they actually consume financially.

Edited by DramatistDreamer