Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

His biggest enablers during the campaign? Too little too late.

It was Roger Ailes who made Faux News become more of what it was in recent years. Murdoch does seem to censor some Trump coverage (he has at the WSJ this year, causing a lot of upset at their offices), but in a different way.

I envy anyone who can laugh at this stuff. Other countries I can understand it more, but people here who see it all as a big guffaw or who seemingly just are happy for the spotlight (like most of the press) - I wish I had their bomb shelters. 

• Members

You noticed that, too, huh?

Is Fox News giving up on Trump?  Given their obvious political slant, and the fact that propagandists like Lou Dobbs and Sean Hannity remain on their payrolls, you wouldn't think so.  But, like I said upthread, it's amazing how quickly the wheels have come off this wagon; and I think even Fox News, as an organization, is starting to question whether an administration that's been hit so hard and so early can make it the next four years.

IOW, I don't think Fox News is ready to throw in the towel just yet on Trump, but I DO think they might start hedging their bets sooner rather than later.

• Members

Faux News was never really a huge booster the way CNN was anyway. That's why all the self-serving self-pity from CNN goes through me like bad food. Faux News mostly moved toward him when there were no other options and he was the GOP nominee. They will dust off and regroup, as they always do in their own soulless way. 

• Members

I agree with all of this.  Of course, having Pence succeed Trump as president comes with its own risks.  However, I think we've seen enough of "President Trump" to know those risks would be minimal compared with what we are dealing with now.

• Members

We're less likely to be nuked (hopefully), but lgbt people, along with women and minorities, will be #1 in his crosshairs. I'd expect laws in short order that would do things like allow doctors to refuse you medical treatment if you're gay (or Muslim, or the wrong "type" of woman, and so on). And get ready for a lot of Democrats to throw us under the bus, as they so often do. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I'm talking from Republicans, Republican pundits and outlets. Not from media in general. Pence has the charisma of a slug and they will not be turning him into McCain, IMO. Can they (and we, frankly) turn to him in lieu of an insane narcissist? Absolutely. I think Pence is terrible but I will absolutely settle for him if I must in lieu of this maniac. I also am unconvinced he won't go down with Trump because I think he knew.

Meanwhile, just to clarify for the "Trump is a secret strategic genius who planned all this" crowd, from the NYT on today:

More at the link.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Megyn Kelly. I felt for her when Trump was harassing her during the campaign, but I know better than to hold her up as too great a journalist. She did just as much to push the Fox News agenda as anyone else when she was there (I don't mean to say that like you don't know that, I just pointed that out after saying she left FNC for NBC, and how maybe Shep might do something like that someday, too.).

Not this Democrat (I know, you mean ones in office. But still.).

I still remember what he did to Indiana. He had Republicans hating his ass in record speed (not enough to get them to vote against Trump in the general election, because I can't have nice things, but I'll NEVER let him off the hook. 

THAT SAID:

I feel a bit better about having him as President than I do having Trump as President, even though he comes with own dangers. 

Edited by MissLlanviewPA

• Members

The truth is I doubt anyone would want Shepherd Smith. Megyn Kelly is flavor of the moment, a pretty blonde thing in an industry full of them; her relevance peaked with the election. I tend to wonder if Faux News is somewhat glad to be rid of her.

I'm glad you have that fight in you. Sadly I think we'll be among the few who don't join the parade.