The Politics Thread

• Members

The MSM double standard is infuriating and now that Trump isn't going to play ball, what the [!@#$%^&*] are they going to do?  

Despite their kissing his ass, his approval level is the lowest ever.  I love it.  The MSM have to start being truly unbiased and report the truth about this racist [!@#$%^&*].

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

These days?  More like "...from the Quran."  Which would be fun to watch on so many levels.

Yeah, but first, they have to get rid of the Jeff Zuckers and Les Moonveses.  Those idiots see only rating points.  They'll never understand the mess they created from normalizing and legitimizing Trump's vicious campaign.

Edited by Khan

• Members

You're so right.  

CBS has a new, polished up promo for Trump's inauguration and it's pretty sickening.  Talk about normalizing him!

They've positioned him as some inspirational change agent.  

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

So the Center on Budget and Public Priorities (non partisan) released a report this AM showing the catastrophic result of overturning the ACA. First is, and I chuckle while I cry) that premiums will double once repealed while the top 1% get 7 million dollars on average in tax breaks a year. And young people will suffer the most as their premiums will increase as much if not more.

People didn't want to listen. This is coming from someone who was self employed for years and knows how expensive health coverage was for non employer plans for years. It's only going to be worse now and employer plans will continue to be downgraded also.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

I don't know if I mentioned it here but I worked for one employer for 8 years and had three different insurance providers because the spikes in premiums forced the company to keep trying to find a more affordable option. People who are whining now about their premiums going up ain't seen nothing yet if the Republicans succeed with this madness.

• Members

I get no insurance from my work because I am an independent contractor, so my coverage comes through Medi-Cal. I was diagnosed with epilepsy at the beginning of last year after a lot of tests and doctor visits. If ACA goes away, I'm going to be paying thousands of dollars a year for my medications, which are well over $400 dollars a month out of pocket.

ACA being repealed is also going to cause emergency room visits to go up again and those visits are going to go unpaid for the most part, which will costs hospitals big. Costs are going to go up across the board and that will be disastrous.

• Members

I'm one of the whiners I guess.  LOL.  But you're right, premiums will skyrocket.

I've been with my employer for 20 years now, and they only offer one traditional PPO/HMO plan these days, are the premiums are exorbitant.  Most everyone now opts for an HSA, and most if us feel that decision is made for us because of the price.  

• Members

The truth is, I was getting screwed with Obamacare...and I am getting screwed even more without it.

I just wish we could go back to before everyone, INCLUDING Obama AND the GOP, started effing around with people's health insurance.  I was unemployed then, too, but at least my parents could afford my monthly premiums; and I didn't have to play this yearly b.s. waiting game to see whether I will continue having insurance (which, for the first time in my life, I don't, and probably never will again).

Edited by Khan

• Members

No offense as someone who had to purchase on the free market before but what was so grand about it? You honestly believe without the ACA things would have stayed the same? The ACA didn't cause the cost increases the greedy insurance companies, who will apparently again be allowed to turn away millions, do. Employers were regularly searching for cheaper options each year, What was once an employee benefit, those costs have also been passed down to employees, and that started years before the ACA. Again going back is not an option because there is and never would have been a going back that would be sustainable. And women again will be allowed to be penalized and charged more for their gender simply because we are women. And yeah that's also what existed before.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

There is no fix all, perfect solution for healthcare, but the ACA got a lot of people insured that would have never otherwise received coverage. With all due respect, it's not an issue of "me, me, me", it's about getting as many people as possible covered.

With that said, the insurance market is at risk of collapse if ACA is pulled, which means people who have no connection to ACA could lose their health insurance (including wealthier people).

• Members

A former health insurance CEO explains how the GOP sabotaged Obamacare from the beginning.

"But when the time came to pay up for risk reduction in the Obamacare exchanges, Congress reneged and paid only 12% of what was owed to the insurers. So, on top of the fact that the companies had to bear the risk of unknown costs and utilization in the startup years, which turned out to be higher than they expected, insurers had to absorb legislative uncertainty of whether the rules would be rewritten.

It is no wonder that this year they have dramatically increased premiums, averaging 20%, to compensate for the extra risk they didn’t factor into the original lower rates. In contrast, underlying health costs are rising at about 5%."

Edited by marceline