The Politics Thread

• Members

Would they be pulling back his nomination or does it expire at the end of the term? Some Republicans seem desperate to confirm him in a lame duck session, so it seems like they think it's their last chance, but I don't know how the process works.

Probably 20 years ago I would have thought HRC should keep Obama's nomination or renominate him, but not any more, especially not after Trump.  Now I think she should shove someone more liberal right down their throats if she can.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Mitch Daniels-the Governor of Indiana before Pence--is definitely less about social conservatism than Pence, at least publicly. And Bayh, for all of his faults, has both the loyalty dating back to his tenure in the Senate (Birch Bayh was--is, he's still alive!--a liberal lion in the tradition of his friend Ted Kennedy) and the fact that he was most likely Indiana's greatest Governor ever is definitely something in his favor. I was exhausted with him when he retired from the Senate in 2010, but he stepped in when Baron Hill stepped down, when he really didn't have to. I give him credit for that.

I really think states like Indiana and Missouri are an example of "wait and see"--Indiana, in particular, has been all over the place in the polls, some showing that Trump is leading with double digits, others showing results MUCH tighter than that; Pence embarrassing the state on a national level with that "religious freedom" (sure, Jan) law playing a heavy hand there. And hey, Hillary has finally put campaign resources in out there. We'll just have to see. 

• Members

Mitch Daniels was very popular and well liked and put his support forward for Pence not realizing I think thaty Pence only looked at this as a stepping stone. He actually spoke out during the entire debacle on Pence trying to push through that so called "religious freedom" anti gay business bill.

I'm not worried about Bayh or Feingold winning. I'm trying to understand and look for polls showing these races tightening and all I can point to is Sam Wang's data. The other races I will agree are tight but hell Toomey had a 15 point lead in PA and now he's basically tied with McGinty. The same in Nevada where Heck was way ahead

On a side note I had to laugh at Nate Silver's analyis a couple of weeks back where he was showing the map if only women voted, if only men voted, etc.. If only women vote the entire country goes blue. So for all you male doubting thomas's, we women, along with our minority brothers and sisters(reminder WMEN are not a minority)will again save our country as we have the last two elections. You can thank us on November 10th

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/new-data-shows-women-turning-out-in-droves-to-vote/vi-AAjfrvG?ocid=spartanntp

Women are killing early voting in Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina but heh, let's keep talking about why HRC is not winning by 50 points. Or lets not talk about the dems likely winning AZ, GA, and perhaps even Texas, or how Trump is going to lose badly in Utah likely to McMullin(he's now polling behind McMullin and Clinton). Frankly this election more than any other sickens me in how pockets of REAL voters keep getting ignored especially by male lefty's like Michael Moore.

• Members

Article on how Texas is now within striking distance but that has been the case for se4several weeks, as the GOP Governor reached out to the GOP base in fear of losing the state several weeks ago. Why not ask yourself why the media has never covered this?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/22/democrats-texas-hillary-clinton-polls-donald-trump?CMP=share_btn_tw

And early voting in Virginia, up by 63.2 %in Northern Virginia but down by 5% in the rest of the state.

• Members

My Mother told me that she was on the phone with my sister earlier this week and my sister (who had been evacuated from her apartment because of Hurricane Matthew's aftermath in NC) had to cut her phone call short because it was the first day of early voting and she was going to vote.

Women are indeed rising up to "Grab 'Em by the Vote" as one slogan put it.

Oddly enough, even though I haven't seen Moore's Trumpland, the review I read made it seem as if it were less about Trump and more about backing Clinton even proposing that based on her work with organizations like the Children's Defense Fund speaks more of the kind of President she may truly turn out to be, rather than the political figure that many have come to demonize over the years.

Would you say that N. Virginia is more left-leaning or more conservative?

Edited by DramatistDreamer