The Politics Thread

• Members

Well if that's her motivation I praise it. I said already she gave a fantastic speech a few weeks back in Nevada talking about the radical fringe and it barely got play. This is certainly getting attention. It's more of the narrative the media chooses to go with and knowing the media it will be the typical Hillary bashing.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

She could have got the exact same point across without calling a large portion of the people she hopes to lead deplorable. Calling 50% of Trump's supporters various isims was off the wall.  White supremacists scare the hell out of me because I spend several days a week at the Jewish Community Center with my baby. Several people were shot at the JCC in Kansas City (4 hours from me) just a couple of years ago.

That doesn't change the fact that I do feel sorry for some of them. Many of them were raised in poverty, hate and ignorance since childhood. They never stood a chance. The person who is leading us should get that.  She can call their ideas deplorable. She can call any actions they take deplorable. Beyond that I want the person who is leading us to bring us together, not throw insults. I get enough of that Trump.  This white suburban woman was not impressed.  The worst part was the way she laughed after she said. Ugh.

But whatever. I've always know that she's an elitist and there is literally nothing she could do or say that would lose my vote. She could have been running a silk road on that damn private server and I'd still vote for her.

• Members

ICAM.  I just saw on the news that she's apologized, although I wish she never said it in the first place.  The name calling should stay with the Trumpublicans.  

Some right wing PAC will roll this out in an ad very soon.  She'll never be able to escape it.  

• Members

So Greg Sargent, blogger with WaPo just posted on twitter that apparently in an interview with Michael Smerconish, Tom Ridge, former Republican Govenor of Pennsylvania and head of Homeland Security, just told him Pennsylvania is no longer in play for Trump. I asked him why and he responded back and suggested reading this. So I guess those white suburban moms really don't like Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2016/09/08/liar-narcissist-racist-these-suburban-women-really-really-dont-like-trump/?utm_term=.4cdaa1710c1e

I guess the biggest challenge is in the Philly and Pittsburgh suburbs. So I doubt Hillary's elitist gaffe (right as she might have been) will sway them in Trump's direction.

The split piece is interesting. It bought support for Toomey I guess since he didn't endorse Trump. It also might explain why Elizabeth Warren has been on a few campaign stops the past couple of weeks with Kate McGinty the democratic senate candidate.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

I imagine as it's the weekend there will be a slow build but we'll get the huffing and puffing soon enough. In a just world there should be no outrage, because Trump has said a hell of a lot worse for a year now and it has been painted as honesty and truthtelling. Seeing his camp demand apologies just points out again what hypocrites they all are.

• Members

I think it was actually a masterstroke, because not only does it overshadow Trump and change the conversation - with the press already actively tilting away from emails (beginning with the Washington Post editorial board) after Lauer's performance shamed them all - but it also makes everyone discuss and re-discuss Trump's base, the racism, etc. There's a lot of clucking but very little disagreement, except from the Breitbart/Fox News crowd.

It's an issue no one can avoid anymore, and IMO she was smart not to apologize or back away from that. It puts the onus on Trump and his people. She's owned the news cycle and the press is taking her frame of the story. This is not going to turn on her; if it was going to it would've done so in the first 24 hours. Notice, most of the big editorials, thinkpieces, etc. are all about 'she's right'.

Edited by Vee