The Politics Thread

• Members

Josh Marshall has nailed what will almost certainly be Trump's strategy: Try to replicate the multi-person GOP debates with Jill Stein and Gary Johnson to help him get room to showboat in a clusterfuck. That will also be his way to get out of it, because it ain't gonna happen and he's too scared to face Hillary (or anyone) one on one. It may play well with his shrinking base, but the nation will call him a coward and he will continue to go apeshit.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

:lol: Thanks for that! Getting a good laugh. "No, Sir. You cannot invite Putin to the White House for a sleep over..." "No, Sir. Legos will not be strong enough to build your wall." These people are cracking me up.

Anyone see the tweets claiming Hillary and her campaign paid them to do this? Oy. 

Looks like a new hashtag is coming into popularity... Not quite as hilarious (yet?), but it's TrumpSacrifices. 

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=news&q=%23TrumpSacrifices&src=tyah

• Members

Now Trump is flailing about trying to attack Khizr Khan and his wife for speaking about their fallen Muslim son at the DNC. This is not going well for him on either side of the aisle, as virtually everyone left and right admired Khan's impassioned speech as the father of a soldier. Trump's response to what he has sacrificed: "I've created tens of thousands of jobs!"

• Members

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/07/30/donald-trump-responds-to-the-khan-family-maybe-she-wasnt-allowed-to-have-anything-to-say/

And the wife spoke on MSNBC...

O'DONNELL: You were very nervous about going to the convention and actually were reluctant, didn't really want to go out on the stage and especially didn't want to speak because you would not be able to keep your composure and I have to say, I'm just like you. I don't think I would have been able to do what your husband did out there last night. How do you feel now about having gone to the convention and gone out on stage and seen what an impact it's had?

GHAZALA KHAN: First of all, I thank all America who listened from their heart to my husband's and my heart, and I'm so grateful for that. And it was very nervous because I cannot see my son's picture, and I cannot even come in the room where his pictures are. That's why when I saw the picture at my back I couldn't take it, and I controlled myself at that time. So, it is very hard.

The father is asking these men take moral stand: Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and House Speaker Paul Ryan. Khan called both men "patriots" and "decent human beings" and appealed to them: "Isn't it time to repudiate Trump?"

• Members

In which Trump keeps fücking that chicken:

And no, the public is not ignoring this. They're not ignoring a lot of things Trump's done. The man is an endless rolling disaster, which is why every single conservative pundit from Erick Erickson to Bill Kristol to Jennifer Rubin is desperate to cut him loose and why Hillary apparently got a 10-point bounce from the DNC, and why, as detailed in the NYT article upthread, Trump is now desperate to sweep many swing states, some of which a Republican hasn't won in almost 30 years.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Yeah, I've crossed the line into actually hating Trump at this point. He's so awful.  He got draft deferments for a "foot spur", yet he insults the parents of a fallen solider and mocks POWs.  Every time I think he can't get any more disgusting he manages to take it up a notch.

• Members

Many who are leaning toward Trump are likely doing so because they don't trust Hillary, they can't stand Hillary, they're afraid of terrorism, they're tired of the status quo, or they're afraid or angry about their job. All of these things are difficult or impossible for Hillary to address. I don't think most of the potential Trump voters actually like Trump - I think many would rather vote for someone else - but they can make him what they want him to be in their head if they feel they have no choice.