The Politics Thread

• Members

I see President Obama being like Jimmy Carter in that he becomes gets even more done as a private citizen who no longer has to conform to the strictures and constraints of the office.  Yes, I will miss the self-affirming image of he, Michelle and Malia and Sasha (and Bo and Sunny) at the White House but I look forward to what moves they will all make in the future. First, though, I have this image of President Obama, post inauguration, somewhere on a beach, drinking directly from a coconut, relaxing at some tropical destination.:wub:

Speaking of our current President, this interesting tweet 

from Nate Cohn:

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The speech of her life. I think she blew everyone who didn't expect her to be a great orator away.

Best of all: The burns on Trump. Donald cannot take that and has to act out. He will make another Russia-level gaffe by noon tomorrow.

Edited by Vee

• Members

True, she's not the most natural of public speakers but she was proficient and when she started to talk about her upbringing, her parents, you could actually see her body relax into it and she became more conversational, her words started to flow for the rest of the speech.

I was glad that she talked about her Mother because the fact that her Mother was pretty much abandoned, left to fend for herself at a shockingly young age, it provided a window into what drew HRC to children's advocacy and her desire to help the most vulnerable, particularly when she talked about imagining her Mother as a little girl walking to a café with coupons, all by herself at four years old!  I had read that she had been reluctant to talk about her Mother's childhood in the past but I think it provides so much insight into HRC's motivations. Also, her recounting how her Mother pushed her to deal with bullies (perfect allegory for dealing with Trump!)

And HRC really launched into taking Trump's bluster apart piece by piece in a very methodical way. And the part about how a man who can be baited with a tweet cannot be trusted with the nuclear arsenal. That is definitely a reusable line and kind of brilliant.

Her speech was an effective mix of the personal and the policy.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Everything that convention needed to do, it did and Clinton's speech was exactly what it needed to be. Her style of being nuanced and technical is an advantage against Trump, because he is quite unstable. Someone had on a sane and qualified t-shirt at the convention, which was called boring, but that really is going to the path to winning against Trump.

In addition, Hillary really cares about people and that comes through in her speaking and will be another advantage for her.

• Members

I didn't see everything, but the immigrant guy who won the medal of honor was a nice touch, as was the immigrant muslim father of the dead soldier (I think).  Chelsea is a decent speaker, not terribly exciting.  I had to leave in the middle of Hillary's speech but she seemed off to a decent start.   Katy Perry was good.  It's odd how with the arrival of Trump suddenly it is ok for the parties to show their shallow side and trot out celebrities all over the place.   Time was seeing Meryl Streep or Katy Perry would have branded you the party of Hollywood elites.  The reality show star as candidate sort of removed that whole stigma.